Lets talk GEC!

Got my Bloodwood #48 in the mail today, but with a somewhat busy Friday afternoon/evening, I didn't have a chance to take any photos. I do have one small gripe about it, which coincides with something I've seen on some other recent GEC's (going back to the most recent run of Beer Scouts) and has to do with the edge/bevel. Within the last year or so, it seemed that GEC's factory edges were improving, but lately I've received a few knives where the bevel on one part of the knife is rounded off so that it almost looks like a convex edge, if that makes sense. Here's an example from a #13 Clerk. You can see towards the tang where the bevel tapers away and the main grind is rounded off right down to the edge.

B6BF7E4C-DCA0-4FB0-85CC-A629FF76DFFC.jpg

It's easily remedied with the first sharpening (which I do with any new knife I plan on keeping/using anyways), but it's still a bit disappointing, as it's less than I've come to expect from GEC.

There was a little bit of this rounded bevel on the #48, but in addition to that, there was a bit of recurve towards the tang, where the straight edge curved down a little bit and, well, wasn't straight. This, for me, was a little more concerning than the rounded off bevel, because my only sharpening experience (and equipment) is on flat sharpening stones, which aren't well suited to sharpening blades with recurve. I was able to carefully use my coarsest DMT stone (Fine) to straighten out that part of the edge and then sharpen the knife successfully, but again, I wasn't exactly thrilled with this little defect. It seems like most of the other #48's I've seen don't have this issue and look nice and straight in photos (I forgot to take a before photo, but you would definitely have been able to see this in a photo).

Has anyone else experienced the rounded off bevel on recent GEC's? (I noticed it on two Beer Scouts, one #13, and a little on this #48.) I'm also curious if anyone else has noticed the same slight recurve on their #48?
I have the same issue on my 48 Bloodwood, identical to your picture on your 13 (bevel tapers away at butt end on pile side). This is first GEC knife where I have noticed this issue, otherwise the fit and finish on mine is impeccable.

Does anyone have any examples of what some of the 54`s that DLT would look like? I like the 54, and have an ebony moose, but I'm not a fan of the big jack. Just wondering what a single blade spear would look like and what a 54 would look like in appaloosa bone or the bloodred. I think the snakewood woud look great. Any idea on the type of spear as far as pulls and swedges?

The fit and finish on my #13 Clerk half-congress is the best I've ever seen on a production traditional. Like others, there's some a couple black lines and speckling in the muslin micarta, but that doesn't bother me. With the unpolished nature of this micarta, I know it'll "age" over time anyway with handling and use. I consider it character like with wood grain.What impresses me is that there's zero blade play, zero liner/backspring gap, and despite the blades being so close together there's absolutely no blade rub. No "rounded" edge either as shown either. I don't know if I just was lucky and got a prime example, but I'd be as bold as to say that it's near custom quality. I hope the bloodwood Weasel I've got in the mail is as nice.

@willied

Here's DLT's Snakewood and Oak Leaf shield. In my opinion in would be tough to get an appolusa example. I posted a 25 in this thread couple days ago that DLT used as an example, but it's a crap shoot for what the end result will be. If someone will post a blood red jig bone NF Barlow 77 from last years run that might give a rough feel for how that will turn out. I have one, the covers turned out nice. Whatever you pick it's going to be a lot of it due to the size of the 54.

IMG_20161018_183542_zpsbwpn4hwy.jpg

I pre-ordered the DLT Snakewood and Blood Reg Jig (one of my favs). Given the size of the 54, I imagine the overall look of all that Snakewood on an equal-ender will remind us of the beautiful 98 American Whittler. With Appaloosa, it's definitely a crap shoot as cbr1000 states above. With the 54, it's just so much handle real estate to cover, so I wanted to go with known quantities. (BTW, cbr1000, that Snakewood 92 above is gorgeous).

I pre-ordered the DLT Snakewood and Blood Reg Jig (one of my favs). Given the size of the 54, I imagine the overall look of all that Snakewood on an equal-ender will remind us of the beautiful 98 American Whittler. With Appaloosa, it's definitely a crap shoot as cbr1000 states above. With the 54, it's just so much handle real estate to cover, so I wanted to go with known quantities. (BTW, cbr1000, that Snakewood 92 above is gorgeous).

Looks like we both rolled the dice Rob LoL but I went with a Burlap Micarta and Smooth Appaloosa Bone . Looking forward to these [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big is the blade on the 54 single? Is there a difference in blade size between the single blade and the double bladed 54?

All these beautiful bloodwood 48's drove to just about distraction. Studied for a while and also found an antique yellow jigged to think about also. Ended up coming home last night and ordering one of each.. Then this am also ordering an antique yellow jigged crown lifter .:eek:

The fit and finish on my #13 Clerk half-congress is the best I've ever seen on a production traditional. Like others, there's some a couple black lines and speckling in the muslin micarta, but that doesn't bother me. With the unpolished nature of this micarta, I know it'll "age" over time anyway with handling and use. I consider it character like with wood grain.What impresses me is that there's zero blade play, zero liner/backspring gap, and despite the blades being so close together there's absolutely no blade rub. No "rounded" edge either as shown either. I don't know if I just was lucky and got a prime example, but I'd be as bold as to say that it's near custom quality. I hope the bloodwood Weasel I've got in the mail is as nice.

Very much agree and it mirrors my experience too. Just been holding it up to a very bright desk-light and I can't see a hint of a gap. Like you say, no blade rub and yet impressive W&T real thwack from the spring! The minor Pen blade is a bit tough to open but that miles better than weak snap or tame pull especially on a single-spring. From my perspective, the Clerk is the best of the group and the Micarta the best option. Did think about a Blackwood but I don't like the long pull so much on a Wharncliffe, it's a nick blade more. Didn't much like the Whittler version as I thought the Master blade rides high which may compromise handling comfort when using the minor blade. Mind you, this is a versatile frame and could yet yield other options, I wonder if it could house a slim Turkish Clip/Wharncliffe combo?

IMG_4479.jpg

Image off the web of the AAPK 54 run in 2014. Put straight bolsters on it and take away the clip, and I'm guessing that is what the DLT will look like.
1490368281_67_24_3.jpg

I've bought quite a few #13s and F&F was pretty good. Three of them needed a kick adjustment since the blades were proud enough to grab your skin. Absolutely none of them were even remotely sharp but that's par for the course from GEC. Any knife that I'm going to carry and use is re-profiled to 20dps so they can be touched up easily. Overall quality though is very good. No blade wobble and pretty good snap.

I'm sure others will chime in, but you must live under a dark cloud tomsch. I have way too many GEC's and outside of 3 or 4 they are shaving sharp and my 2 Clerks are the sharpest.

I'm really excited about a single blade 54. The 54 Large Jack is one of my most carried knives. A single blade should make a nice slimmer carry.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

All of my (5) 13s arrived very sharp.

I'm ready for a 2 blade jack on the 98 frame. The Colossal Jack!

Haha I'm hoping for a "micro brew scout" on the #14 pattern (same as the beer scout but a smaller watch pocket version)

The GEC "tall boy" sounds like a nice pattern too.
Make the tall boy on the #65 frame with a clip point and I am 100% in. A saw/scaler back on the clip would be icing on the cake.

Also a grandaddy Barlow on the #65 frame. Or a similarly sized coffin handled grandaddy Barlow.

Posted using TapaTalk

All 13's came to me sharp. Probably not 20dps as tomsch referenced. I'm not sure what the bevel is, but they are sharp.

Make the tall boy on the #65 frame with a clip point and I am 100% in. A saw/scaler back on the clip would be icing on the cake.

Also a grandaddy Barlow on the #65 frame. Or a similarly sized coffin handled grandaddy Barlow.

Posted using TapaTalk

GEC needs a Granddaddy Barlow in their lineup.

I am looking forward to this coming to fruition. Hopefully another run of the #82 Dixie Stockmans will also tag along.
OK, this will give you an idea of the new blade grind. Bill tells me it is very like the one on this future knife!

82%20POSSUM%20SKINNER%203_zpsn5nfrhmu.jpg

Hey!!! I posted a Pic!!!

Back