Lets talk GEC!

Knowing how Charlie does his thing, I assume the blade combo on that Possum Skinner is based on an old traditional pattern.

Knowing how Charlie does his thing, I assume the blade combo on that Possum Skinner is based on an old traditional pattern.

Agree with that and it being a skinner, a straight edge doesn't make sense. I mean no disrespect to anyone and had no idea this is an sfo. It just doesn't make sense to me or my uses. GEC makes traditional reproductions and this knife fits that category. They also put a twist on some designs and I think these are modern day classics. Today's traditional style knives with new frames and blade combos will be the next generations traditionals and I am certainly more interested in the later category most of the time.

82%20POSSUM%20SKINNER%203_zpsxonsxiwx.jpg
[/URL]

That Possum is SWEET! LOVE IT!!
It would be great with a sheepsfoot secondary as well.

The 82 would be much bigger than I'd carry. I carry a 47 in NifeBright regularly, and that's about my limit. The thicker a knife gets, the shorter I'd want it. I sometimes carry a Case slimline trapper in yellow delrin, which is longer than anything else I carry, but it's so skinny that it still disappears in the pocket. Something like an 82 or 54 though is too much. A 38 with a wharncliffe/sheepsfoot/coping blade would hit the spot though. Or if they did an 81 Hawbaker muskrat. That would be perfect.

Even though the 82 (Dixie)is a little longer, it feels much smaller, slimmer and pocketable than a single blade 47. IMO.
The 82(Dixie) is real close to the same feel as a Case slimline trapper.

That possum is on the 82 pattern, 4 1/8" closed. The 38 pattern is 3 7/8" closed. The one pictured would be an SFO for Charlie Campagna and I bet they will run some regular production stuff along side it, hopefully another run of the dixie stockmans. The dixies were pretty much that possum skinner plus a second spring and third wharncliffe blade. Somewhat non-traditional blade combo for a stockman but super useful. I have one in blackwood and love it.

I have an Osage and love it! Would love a Blackwood /slanted bolster.

Getting excited about those single blade SFO #54s. Couldn't help but reserve a few.
Has there ever been a single blade in these before? I can't recall any.
The Northwoods "Presidential" from a while back would seek to be the closest thing in my memory since it was a single spring at least.

Getting excited about those single blade SFO #54s. Couldn't help but reserve a few.
Has there ever been a single blade in these before? I can't recall any.
The Northwoods "Presidential" from a while back would seek to be the closest thing in my memory since it was a single spring at least.

The Northwoods Forest Jack was a single blade built on GEC's #54 frame.

IMG_3087.jpg

I would like to see the 82 set up with the two blades that are open like this. I don't want the third blade. This would be a perfect knife for me. I do like a stockman knife also and would love to have a dixie stockman, but would love to have a dixie jack also.

Since that third blades rides so low, I don't really see what is lost from having it, aside from a (very) little bit of weight savings. I would even venture to say that the third blade offers a little bit of variance and stout-ness that the two longer blades do not.

Would a single spring with two full sized blades (both shown above, moose like pattern, but the 82 frame) also be less than desired?
As a jack set-up, you would have the two springs anyway, so I am curious as to why the third blade is that much of a detriment that it would sway your decision on the knife?

I am not trying to be snarky about it, I am genuinely curious if I am missing or overlooking something.

Ughhhh, seriously? What a waist of a chance for the perfect knife! You can't tell me GEC doesn't read this site and over and over again more then a few ask for a belly and curved blade combo. Tired of repeating myself at this point. The show the 38 special and no one says, add a pen or spey or mini drop point to the other end of that guy and it will be perfect....ughhh....lol its comical to me at this point

I might be missing something, but I would venture a guess that this is a diamond shielded SFO for Charlie? It's possible they may release many different blade configurations on this frame - like the recently released #13.

I didn't realize it was an sfo when I said that. I know Charlie likes to keep them very traditional and I get the draw to that. I am not a collector and only care about using them. Purely my disappointment on this knife and me wishing it was what I wanted.

Who's the member that draws the really good pictures of imaginable GEC's? A couple years back he sketched up an 82 2 blade with single spring for consideration for the annual forum knife. I can't stand the search function and can't locate it. He has sketched up a number of unique patterns over the years. If someone finds that 82 drawing, please post.

I didn't realize it was an sfo when I said that. I know Charlie likes to keep them very traditional and I get the draw to that. I am not a collector and only care about using them. Purely my disappointment on this knife and me wishing it was what I wanted.

Sorry Jeff, I quoted you, but really just meant to quote the image you posted to point out the diamond shield/assumed Charlie SFO.

Who's the member that draws the really good pictures of imaginable GEC's? A couple years back he sketched up an 82 2 blade with single spring for consideration for the annual forum knife. I can't stand the search function and can't locate it. He has sketched up a number of unique patterns over the years. If someone finds that 82 drawing, please post.

81 or 82? We had an 81 considered for 2015. From Charlie's topic for the 2015 forum knife vote:
Great Eastern's proposal has bolsters, and jigged bone handles.
Option:The secondary blade can be changed if we choose this knife.
GEC%202015%20drawing_zps5yrdemib.jpg

I can't recall Jake, but I thought it was a graphic design, maybe done by "one speed freak". I could be confused though.

I was rooting for the 81 forum knife . I prefer the frame and the wide clip over the 82 . Only thing I'd change is to subsitute the Spey for a Sheepsfoot . Perhaps it wouldn't work , I dont know .

Both sound good... as well as both with the sheepfoot swap... so all four! :) My own preference leans toward the 81 with sheepfoot swap, mostly because I prefer the blades on the 81.

I like the look of the new #82, don't mind if there's no straight edge secondary although I perfectly see how it'd be more useful for many of you guys. Like others said, another run of dixie stockmen would be great as well. Otherwhise the coon skinner reminds me on the #66 slim although the frame's bigger and not quite S-shaped. It's very versatile and can house a lot of configurations. A stockman, penknife, jack, moose or muskrat, heck I can even imagine a whittler. :D If it's going to be anything like the recent run of "13s then we have a lot to anticipate.

The problem with a double ended knife is that you lose blade length on the main because of the joint at the other end. I'd love an 82 with a regular clip main and a sheepfoot secondary at the same end. And make it a barehead while you're at it.

Back