Let's talk Northwoods

The kudu is gorgeous…

HxeFlg5.jpg

4VRvmnu.jpg

RZmXKP5.jpg

rust on my new heritage jack 😫. Hard to see the liner rust which is the most concerning/difficult to remove. Any tips so I can get this piece rust free and keep as a long term user? I'm thinking I should start with WD40 before I go to anything abrasive and then if I'm successful force a patina on the liners.

RZmXKP5.jpg

rust on my new heritage jack 😫. Hard to see the liner rust which is the most concerning/difficult to remove. Any tips so I can get this piece rust free and keep as a long term user? I'm thinking I should start with WD40 before I go to anything abrasive and then if I'm successful force a patina on the liners.
My advice would be never anything abrasive, just mineral oil, a microfiber cloth, and elbow grease. Use the microfiber cloth wrapped around a popsicle stick to get the liner if you're having trouble getting in there. WD-40 should work well also. I think some say it can leave behind a gummy residue that will attract dirt and dust. But, I use WD-40 on really dirty knives without issue. I prefer mineral oil once they're clean.

As for preventing rust? I personally wouldn't force a patina. Just keep the liners, backsprings, bolsters, blade, and joint well oiled. A natural patina will form in due time. But, a patina forced or not will not allow you to forego regular maintenance.

All that being said, if it's a long term user I wouldn't worry much about it. Wipe it down and continue to use it. I'm sure it's a beautiful knife that will love being put to work and having something to show for it!

Back