Lock Strength Test Request - Extrema Ratio RAO vs the Cold Steel 4-MAX

I found this claim while researching another thread and I thought I'd bring it to your attention:

"The result is the knife called RAO, a survival knife, not a big folder but a compact field knife with a strong and heavy blade and a very safe locking system, assisted by an extra safe device that turn the folder in a real fix blade knife. The blade opening and closing are acting with both the hands together to minimize the risk of self injuries."

Source:http://www.extremaratioknivesdivision.eu/#!rao/c2qi

The RAO is the only folder I've ever seen that claims it can be turned into a REAL fixed-blade knife. That would presumably give it greater lock strength than any other folder in existence, let alone any folder with a Tri-Ad lock including the 4-MAX.

I see that you recently tested the Extrema Ratio Fulcrum II vs the Pocket Bushman and posted the results on Youtube (link: https://youtu.be/UtcCDMssqCc), so clearly you're familiar with the brand.

Would you be willing to test the claim that the Extrema Ratio RAO can be turned into a real fixed-blade?

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
That's flippin awesome! Its like a sideways AXIS Lock. A lock I am very fond of, btw.

I 2nd this motion.

Hmm, at 11oz, save it for the 4MAX that's the closest thing they make to that in size and price... and a fight I don't gotta pay to see... but for now, wait to see.

Fun Fact: Rao is the Kryptonian God, and the name given to the Red Sun of Krypton -- The one Superman has no power under.

Will the 4MAX fair as well?

That is a fun fact, Jonslaught! :thumbup: Will the RAO turn out to be Cold Steel's Kryptonite? Curious minds want to know . . .

Lol Cold Steel won't be the true victim here, Andrew Demko will! His lock lol. And he would be administering the test. Awkward situation if RAO wins. Gah, diggin that name...

I'll also say this monstrosity is emerging like Doomsday. If that's the case then they'll catastrophic fail at the same weight at the same time.
the-death-and-return-of-superman-1992-1993-page-168.jpg

My hunch is that the RAO's blade will break before the lock fails. That would definitely be something to see given the fact that the RAO sports nearly 1/4" thick blade constructed of N690 at 58 HRC. :eek:

I'm reluctant to declare a winner in advance of the testing. But there is no doubt in my mind that the RAO is a contender for the title "strongest 4" folding knife in the world".

Last edited:
I have to agree Bld552 on his observations of Cold Steel. If any knife company chose (Spyderco/Benchmade....) they could make a folding knife ridiculously strong to match the triad lock. We have put man on the moon, a strong folding knife lock isn't historical. Never understood why Cold Steel needs to beat their chests with these tests. We know they make a strong lock.

Absolutely right, its an abomination.
I agree. But that doesn't take anything away from Extrema Ratio's claim that the RAO can be turned into a REAL fixed blade knife. The only question is, is the claim true? That's why I've asked Cold Steel to test it. With Cold Steel's emphasis on lock strength, it seems to me they have the most to gain or lose from the outcome.

I own a RAO. It is indeed massive, and hard to see how it would fail at all, especially at the three tests CS does, seeing the blade is supported at two points instead of just the stop pin. Bad materials is the only reason I can think that it might fail, you never know until you test it. The frame is aluminium and not too thick at the locking bar, the 'weakest' point I can think of, if that's the right word.
A match-up between it and the Spartan would be interesting. That or the 4 Max.

Well hopefully Cold Steel will take up the challenge. They're the best equipped to conduct the testing.

Know that I use that word as a term of endearment. And it adds to the claim, in my use of it. That's way I compared it to Doomsday.

That Voyager held 451 and the lock still functioned at the end, despite having the AUS8 blade snapped. I know once you get into the "deathzone" (mountain altitude term I like to use) of weight, it really holds no meaning in terms of functional lock strength. Hell way less than 451. Nobody really needs a knife to hold such weight, I know that. Though the spine whacks and overstrikes is a more practical test, in case you need to take it out of its element for a while. I find the comparisons fun, because its "good to know" your knife can do these outlandish things. Even the ones that they have eventually fail, can sometimes hold in the 300s. And the Voyager being one of their lowest end offerings sets the bar pretty high for the 4 Max in this test. The Custom AD-10 held 809lbs and the video ends without the knife failing, and the 4MAX outsizes even that. That teamed with this new challenger looming on the horizon, Its a good time to be alive... ...If your into this frivolous shtuff.

4-Max versus RAO would certainly be a test to remember. They would be pretty well matched dimensionally, with the 4-Max being perhaps $100 less expensive, weighing two ounces less, having a better blade steel, and likely being a slightly better cutter due to its thinner blade stock.

But if the 4-Max were to fail before the RAO, those advantages would be for naught..

I'd love to see this one. If I was going to plunk down the money I'd prefer a 4-Max regardless of the result, but CS has stated they were trying to make the strongest 4" folder possible, so I think it's a more than valid challenge.

I'd love to see this one. If I was going to plunk down the money I'd prefer a 4-Max regardless of the result, but CS has stated they were trying to make the strongest 4" folder possible, so I think it's a more than valid challenge.

Cold Steel didn't state that they were trying to make the strongest 4" folder possible. They said they already did it:

"This over-built beast is without a doubt the strongest knife we have ever produced and we're willing to bet that right now, it's the strongest 4" folding knife in the world!"

Source: http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/62RM/4-Max.aspx

Given that level of confidence, I assume Cold Steel would be anxious to test it against the Extrema Ratio RAO . . . the world's only folder that claims it can be turned into a real fixed-blade . . . and report the results.

Last edited:
Question, is it through this outlet these tests most prominently come?

When Demko says something to the effect of "popular demand" I wonder where the recommendations come from.

I'm relatively new here, how credible are these forums to the knife community?

Cold Steel didn't state that they were trying to make the strongest 4" folder possible. They said they already did it:

"This over-built beast is without a doubt the strongest knife we have ever produced and we're willing to bet that right now, it's the strongest 4" folding knife in the world!"

Source: http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/62RM/4-Max.aspx

Given that level of confidence, I assume Cold Steel would be anxious to test it against the Extrema Ratio RAO . . . the world's only folder that claims it can be turned into a real fixed-blade . . . and report the results.

I wasn't sure they had made a definitive claim, so I hedged a bit. But since they did, all the more reason to do the test!

Question, is it through this outlet these tests most prominently come?

When Demko says something to the effect of "popular demand" I wonder where the recommendations come from.

I'm relatively new here, how credible are these forums to the knife community?
I'm not sure. But I suspect this test may surpass the need to overcome the normal "popular demand" hurdle as it represents a direct challenge to Cold Steel's assertion that it makes the strongest 4-inch knife in the world. And then there's the potential ignominy of daring to say that the RAO can be be turned into a real fixed-blade knife to deal with. I think we have a pretty good idea of Cold Steel's position on manufacturers who make those sorts of inflated claims . . . unless their claims are proven to be true, of course.

As far as credibility is concerned, I'd say that lies at the very heart of the matter and as Insipid Moniker pointed out, provides all the more reason for Cold Steel to conduct the test.

Last edited:
There were some fairly large differences in the mounting of the folders in The Extrema Ratio Fulcrum II vs the Pocket Bushman test. The pocket Bushman had an extra point of contact with the handles during the 2nd test. They need to try and eliminate these variables in their testing

Back