Lock Strength Test Request - Extrema Ratio RAO vs the Cold Steel 4-MAX

I even wonder if CS would post it if their best in world's history blade snapped first.
I don't think Cold Steel is making the claim that their blade is the best (strongest?) in the history of the world . . . only their locks. And everything has a breaking point. Better their blades than their locks I'd imagine.

I don't think Cold Steel is making the claim that their blade is the best (strongest?) in the history of the world . . . only their locks. And everything has a breaking point. Better their blades than their locks I'd imagine.

Yes yes yes all I'm saying is, I dont think that they will ever post of a video where their product is inferior to a competitor's. You seem to be the deep thinker on these threads you participate in, is that so far fetched? Possible that their knives never lose at anything either so I got that covered. What else?

I think you have a great idea here and Im not against it... Business is business though and it can never be impartial as to them, losing is bad business. Again, is that such a flawed opinion?

Maybe Cold Steel won't view the RAO as a folding knife. Extrema themselves say it:

"The result is the knife called RAO, a survival knife, not a big folder but a compact field knife with a strong and heavy blade and a very safe locking system, assisted by an extra safe device that turn the folder in a real fix blade knife."

On 2nd thought, its really unclear. They say its not a folder, then they say it is a folder. IDK...

Just test the damned thing!

I'm not sure the triad anything can beat a knife that is a "real fixed blade" as is the RAO. That would be a fun test win or loose, it would be interesting. I think it is on the list so time will tell.

Thanks, Andrew. And don't let the hyperbole fool you. The RAO isn't a "real fixed-blade". It's a folder. Fixed-blade knives don't fold . . . ever. Or at least not on purpose. ;)

PS: Gird your loins before you conduct the test. I wouldn't want you to lose any important parts when the RAO explodes! :(

Last edited:
Anyone know the material of the screw on the RAO? If it shears under the weight of 600+ pounds that the 4MAX Tri-Ad could no doubt take... its screwed.

Good question. The pin is constructed of steel. And yes, it screws into the frame.

Last edited:
Yep. Of course English isn't Extrema Ratio's first language. So you may need to forgive them for a certain lack of precision in their description. But there's no doubt that the RAO is a folder. A quick review of Youtube videos will convince you of that. And there's no doubt that Extrema Ratio has positioned it as being capable of becoming a "real fixed blade" with the stabilizing pin screwed into the frame . . . the only folder that has ever made such a claim as far as I can tell.

Should be a must-see video when Andrew gets around to testing it.

Last edited:
Whoa, really gonna go the "It's a fixed blade" route on this one eh?

I'd rather see the big bad Cold Steel 100% of the time than this cherry picking on CRKt, Spyderco etc. and turn soft when a real threat to lock strength comes around.

RAO's a fixed blade.... Puahahaha! Awe man that is good.

Whoa, really gonna go the "It's a fixed blade" route on this one eh?

I'd rather see the big bad Cold Steel 100% of the time than this cherry picking on CRKt, Spyderco etc. and turn soft when a real threat to lock strength comes around.

RAO's a fixed blade.... Puahahaha! Awe man that is good.
Well I've never seen a real fixed-blade do this before:

[video=youtube;ITPwy2jVLHc]https://youtu.be/ITPwy2jVLHc[/video]

Nevertheless, I'd suggest we not alienate the man we're asking to do the test before he does it. And I'd REALLY like this thread to stick around at least long enough for that to happen.

Last edited:
Well, a blade held into a handle with a couple of screws... ;)
A case could be made.

Heh, the same can be said about other locks including the triad and its stop pin which is either pinned or screwed into the handle.

On another note,

It is apparent that these tests are aimed at impressionable knife beginners and for CS fan's entertainment if the same tired locks keep getting pitted against the triad lock over and over again where everyone already knows the end result. I mean, how do they one up the Leek frame lock vs the triad lmao. How about Skyline vs Hold out next. That'll show us.

Well I've never seen a real fixed-blade do this before:

[video=youtube;ITPwy2jVLHc]https://youtu.be/ITPwy2jVLHc[/video]

Nevertheless, I'd suggest we not alienate the man we're asking to do the test before he does it. And I'd REALLY like this thread to stick around at least long enough for that to happen.

Believe me, if the 4max wins on THEIR tests they will post it triumphantly whether this thread is closed or not.

Alright Im done enjoy.

I understand your frustration. But this is an opportunity for Andrew and Cold Steel to show it's merits against what is arguably the strongest folder lock ever developed. The 4-MAX doesn't have to beat the RAO to prove its worthiness, it just has to hold its own. And I'm confident it will do just that even if Cold Steel has to relinquish its claim to manufacturing the strongest 4" folding knife in the world.

Last edited:
If the blade breaks first, its still a win for Cold Steel. Because that's what it means to have a safe lock. I've seen it happen twice on AUS8 models, both times the Tri-Ad still functions. Though I've never seen CPM 20cv snap...

This is a great thread, and I'm glad to be a part of it. I had fun in the other one, but it feels better to lend to serious talk.

I'm rooting for 4MAX to hold up. Not because I'm gungho for CS, but I love the simplicity of the Tri-Ad lock. That little stop pin is such a hero. The RAO you actually have to screw in a 2ndary safety. This points to the reason for the sheath on the RAO allowing for it to be carried in open blade position. Guaranteed folks in market for a larger folder will not even consider the RAO over the 4MAX. Why would they? The RAO is a fixed blade...

As for the RAO... its a menace, its an abomination, it must be destroyed. If not, its gonna destroy the city! Things a monster! I guess I'm not ready for serious talk.

N690 is tougher than 20CV if that helps.

20CV (and its analogs) is one of my most favorite steels but we're talking toughness here.

Side note:For me, neither knives are my cup of tea but I'd never buy the Extrema and much prefer the 4MAX over it.

I would consider the extrema if it had a more omnifunctional blade shape. Even in reverse grip stabbing, it barely gets through freezer door (i think that was it). it has that tanto tip so it should be fine for that but its too shallow and wide, maybe thats why. I think they over built that tip for strength and lost function.
[video]https://youtu.be/vcmRzQblffQ?t=5m57s[/video]
One of the larger holes was done by a Cold Steel Recon Tanto (a fixed blade), its in Italian but u can hear it.

The locking pin does not pass through the blade on the RAO. It blocks it from closing. I'd think the aluminum handle surrounding the pin would deform and crack before any other failure, the blade stock is so thick. I would love to see this test but my money is on the CS.

Back