Made my first pair of throwing knives

Those are pretty sweet. It's a good thing you posted 2 videos, once I noticed the dog my attention was focused there and not on the knives.

How did you determine the balance and heft for these - trial and error or science?
I usually try all of my fixed blades as throwers at least once. Some take to it naturally - others - not so much. :)

I like yours lots!

Last edited:
How did you determine the balance and heft for these - trial and error or science?
I usually try all of my fixed blades as throwers at least once. Some take to it naturally - others - not so much. :)

I like your lots!
for me, trial and error kind of is science 🤣 Let's just say there was a lot of guess work involved, especially since these knives were designed around some off cuts I had from another project

Thanks for the props my friends! Although there is plenty of room for improvement, I'm fairly satisfied with the results this time around. I was especially stoked to discover that kevlar cord is a thing

Nice throwing!

Kevlar cord you say??

Very interesting.

Hey Lorien Lorien you should post some pics of the knives too - there was only a glimpse up close on the video…
thanks! I will but I'll finish them up first, they still need edges and etching. And a sheath

finished the sheath up today, I should have some nice pictures of everything on the weekend
6J56Ia9.jpg

924C8x6.jpg

Just finished up the sheath for this pair of knives last night, which was kind of a seat of the pants thing. You could take that metaphorically, but the sheath actually will fit into the back pocket of your jeans, quite literally in the seat of your pants. The sheath is designed to be worn on your side, with the forward knife oriented for an underhand, (sneaky) throw and the rearward knife oriented for an over hand throw. Or, you can stash it at the small of your back. Whatever you like!

The knives were made from off cuts from another project I did many years ago, which is why they have such a strange shape. The material is A2, 8mm thick- oxidized and waxed. The handles are wrapped with kevlar cord, and the turk's head knots are waxed cotton that my friend Matthew Gregory Matthew Gregory kindly gifted me awhile ago. The handle is saturated with West System epoxy.

The knives are pretty hefty, weighing in at 331 grams / 11.7 ounces each, and just a hair over 10" long. They are hard hitting knives and throw well both over and underhand. I don't know how to throw no spin so I can't say whether or not they throw well using that method.

RNxz2UZ.jpg

Eyiza2c.jpg

uDZVMfb.jpg

UrLvGD2.jpg

qRNcQ5q.jpg

lq96I2r.jpg

JdKparr.jpg

Ytc5WJU.jpg

s4aGuoi.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I bought these. They are spectacular. The cool factor is over the top - BUT - I can knock the cool out pretty fast while I'm learning to throw theses bad boys. :rolleyes:

My pristine "target" for a few obligatory try out throws.

Very solid hitters - heavy and well balanced but not your average throwing knives profile.

Throwing-knives.jpg

Today I got a bit more serious setting up a target area. Will need to gather up some log sections for more long term throwing.
In the meantime this area is rock free and there is room to stand back.

Trying to learn optimum grips for 3 meter and 4 meter distances. I don't think these will be able to be thrown NO SPIN. I would like to learn that I am wrong. Mostly concentrated on proper grip today.

Good for 3 meters is a baseball pitch style holding full up on the handle. Good for the 4 meter is best held from the blade and tossed straight on, as shown in the photo below. These are my first observations. Will certainly change as I get better with these and try to develop more technique. Couldn't do anything underhanded. :(

4-meter-best-grip.jpg

You can see that there was lots more target carnage - lots of kevlar handle imprints not so many knife sticks. 😝

Knife-board-carnage.jpg

Then I did the ultimate sacrilege. Very sorry Lorien Lorien . The last thing I want to do is destroy these.

It was a true oh crap moment. 🤬 :)

OOPs-in-knife-throwing.jpg

YIKES - 😵‍💫

Kevlar-calamity.jpg

Off to a fun start.

I bought these. They are spectacular. The cool factor is over the top - BUT - I can knock the cool out pretty fast while I'm learning to throw theses bad boys. :rolleyes:

My pristine "target" for a few obligatory try out throws.

Very solid hitters - heavy and well balanced but not your average throwing knives profile.

View attachment 1844534

Today I got a bit more serious setting up a target area. Will need to gather up some log sections for more long term throwing.
In the meantime this area is rock free and there is room to stand back.

Trying to learn optimum grips for 3 meter and 4 meter distances. I don't think these will be able to be thrown NO SPIN. I would like to learn that I am wrong. Mostly concentrated on proper grip today.

Good for 3 meters is a baseball pitch style holding full up on the handle. Good for the 4 meter is best held from the blade and tossed straight on, as shown in the photo below. These are my first observations. Will certainly change as I get better with these and try to develop more technique. Couldn't do anything underhanded. :(

View attachment 1844543

You can see that there was lots more target carnage - lots of kevlar handle imprints not so many knife sticks. 😝

View attachment 1844545

Then I did the ultimate sacrilege. Very sorry Lorien Lorien . The last thing I want to do is destroy these.

It was a true oh crap moment. 🤬 :)

View attachment 1844546

YIKES - 😵‍💫

View attachment 1844547

Off to a fun start.
oof! I was going to warn you to throw them one at a time until you get the hang of them, or to set up two targets. Really, though, I'm just glad as hell that you're using them!
I would fix that damage by just filling it with some epoxy. The kevlar just laps up liquid so I don't expect anything to unravel. Just a beauty mark!

Back