Made my first pair of throwing knives

RayseM RayseM I should also say that if you totally screw up the handles, I can fix them. Still have some kevlar cord and can get more if need be :thumbsup:
Thanks for the vote of confidence - er - I mean offer to help. ;) Thanks very much. However, If I keep getting those type of throws I'd better learn to fix my own. All within by capabilities. Best to learn a new skill though (knife throwing properly) and set up a few more targets in the meanwhile. :thumbsup::)

that's a nice set up! Love the woodchips, that's a great idea. I had to dismantle my range a little while ago but I have plans for a greatly improved scenario:thumbsup:

I was getting too much dirt in the handle wrap ;) The wood chips (I have plenty) have helped.
Watching videos of REAL knife throwers. They have a, i.e. ONE, 20" square target or a standing 10" dia. dead tree and don't need anything else, for throws from 40'. My set up make me laugh as much as anything. :D

I bought these. They are spectacular. The cool factor is over the top - BUT - I can knock the cool out pretty fast while I'm learning to throw theses bad boys. :rolleyes:

My pristine "target" for a few obligatory try out throws.

Very solid hitters - heavy and well balanced but not your average throwing knives profile.

View attachment 1844534

Today I got a bit more serious setting up a target area. Will need to gather up some log sections for more long term throwing.
In the meantime this area is rock free and there is room to stand back.

Trying to learn optimum grips for 3 meter and 4 meter distances. I don't think these will be able to be thrown NO SPIN. I would like to learn that I am wrong. Mostly concentrated on proper grip today.

Good for 3 meters is a baseball pitch style holding full up on the handle. Good for the 4 meter is best held from the blade and tossed straight on, as shown in the photo below. These are my first observations. Will certainly change as I get better with these and try to develop more technique. Couldn't do anything underhanded. :(

View attachment 1844543

You can see that there was lots more target carnage - lots of kevlar handle imprints not so many knife sticks. 😝

View attachment 1844545

Then I did the ultimate sacrilege. Very sorry Lorien Lorien . The last thing I want to do is destroy these.

It was a true oh crap moment. 🤬 :)

View attachment 1844546

YIKES - 😵‍💫

View attachment 1844547

Off to a fun start.

I was gonna comment on how very tough throwing can be on anything you throw or target . :eek:

Your post illustrates this perfectly .

Most knives made for throwing are not much good for anything else .

These look like they could do some other work .

I was gonna comment on how very tough throwing can be on anything you throw or target . :eek:

Your post illustrates this perfectly .

Most knives made for throwing are not much good for anything else .

These look like they could do some other work .

These knives actually throw well - I'm the problem :D AND YES! They are knives that could do some serious other knife work.

I want some of these. DM me if you will make.
that's awesome to hear!
I'm not yet at a point where I'm doing made to order work- that time will come, but I'm making what comes to me as it comes for another year or so. I really have a lot of skills I need to learn as quickly as possible, so everything I'll be doing is devoted to that. If you do instagram, when I'm ready to start taking orders I'll make it known there.
I totally appreciate your interest! Thank you :)

That's great to hear! Making your own throwing knives can be a rewarding and exciting experience. It's important to remember, though, that safety should always be your top priority when working with sharp objects

Back