Manix 2 lockback

Any word on upcoming sprint runs of the Manix 2 back lock? Really want one but trying to hold out for a sprint

it will probably be a while. Spyderco is going to want to wait and see how well the model sells, first.

So I got lucky and managed to get one of these for a decent price on the Bay despite having decided to stay away from spyderco for a while.
Waiting for it to get here. Really like how they reduced to part count on this one.

it will probably be a while. Spyderco is going to want to wait and see how well the model sells, first.

New here. Don't own any Manix yet, have owned other Spydies for years - mainly Compression and Back Lock models, and one Liner Lock.

I started looking at the Manix 2 about a year ago, and liked all the options so much I was resigned to trying the Ball Bearing out, even though it is not my favorite lock.

Then then they came out with this Back Lock version. I have been eyeing it up for months - and like many have alluded to I was also going to wait for a Sprint Run, and some different offerings of this model. But it never happened.... I am assuming from the lack of user reviews online (there are a grand total of TWO that I could find) that this model never took off and was not a good seller?

Anybody who still owns it have any update on satisfaction? I have combed the net on this knife, and literally have not found one negative comment - anyone have anything they DON'T like about the Manix BL?

Tempted to buy, but the lack of any real user reviews has me wondering.... of course the good / popular knives have many. (btw, not talking about retailer or pro reviews, I have seen the Youtube vids, etc - they are great but are just one data point). And yes, to me desirability and perception is an important feature in a knife for value / resale if I ever decide to sell it one day. YMMV. Did this knife not take off because of it's divergence from the mainstream Manix 2 configuration? I would have thought a knife of this configuration would have been a big hit in back lock configuration....

The Manix 2 backlock is a solid knife no doubt. I think it's the backlock that turns everyone off. I personally like it. The sound of the lockup is unlike any other knife you've heard lock open. It's solid and you won't go wrong with it as a daily user....

The Manix 2 backlock is a solid knife no doubt. I think it's the backlock that turns everyone off. I personally like it. The sound of the lockup is unlike any other knife you've heard lock open. It's solid and you won't go wrong with it as a daily user....

Thanks for the candid reply. That makes sense... I thought the back lock had a strong following though, is it the backlock on the Manix 2 that "turns everyone off" in your humble opinion, or did I misjudge the overall popularity of back locks? I am also still trying to wrap my head around ultra thick G-10 with no liners - I have never seen one like that up close... I would assume G-10 that thick would be the least of my concerns for stability, durability, all the ity's, no?

BTW "Daily user" is a relative term... :) I own a few knives, more than I need... I am sure you can relate.

But I have 18 yr old twin boys, and starting to filter some of my collection their way... and not surprisingly a couple have "disappeared" in the last year. Gotta start putting them in a safer spot(s) when they have their friends over! :(

The g10 slabs are plenty strong for a folding knife. As for "daily user", don't feel like you have to baby this thing, it can take more than what your average EDC user can dish out. Don't let the backlock turn you off, it makes the ball bearing lock sound and feel puny in comparison.

I have seen some pics of that back lock disassembled, compared - it is definitely beefier, and it gets great feedback from all I have seen as far as tightness/ tolerance and feel.... that is for sure.

It's a very strong, sturdy knife. Use without fear. Like any Manix 2 it takes up a lot of pocket space, that's my only heartburn with it.

Yeah, but I bet like me you have other choices in the arsenal when pocket space is a primary consideration. I would not be buying this one as a pocket carry as the primary filter / objective....

New here. Don't own any Manix yet, have owned other Spydies for years - mainly Compression and Back Lock models, and one Liner Lock.

I started looking at the Manix 2 about a year ago, and liked all the options so much I was resigned to trying the Ball Bearing out, even though it is not my favorite lock.

Then then they came out with this Back Lock version. I have been eyeing it up for months - and like many have alluded to I was also going to wait for a Sprint Run, and some different offerings of this model. But it never happened.... I am assuming from the lack of user reviews online (there are a grand total of TWO that I could find) that this model never took off and was not a good seller?

Anybody who still owns it have any update on satisfaction? I have combed the net on this knife, and literally have not found one negative comment - anyone have anything they DON'T like about the Manix BL?

Tempted to buy, but the lack of any real user reviews has me wondering.... of course the good / popular knives have many. (btw, not talking about retailer or pro reviews, I have seen the Youtube vids, etc - they are great but are just one data point). And yes, to me desirability and perception is an important feature in a knife for value / resale if I ever decide to sell it one day. YMMV. Did this knife not take off because of it's divergence from the mainstream Manix 2 configuration? I would have thought a knife of this configuration would have been a big hit in back lock configuration....
There were a lot of reviews early on about this knife. Those who bought one are very happy. I read one guy's post who sold his, but not for reasons of not liking it. I will point out that the knife was received well enough that they have come out with a Native 5 in the same configuration. This version of the Manix 2 is by far my favorite and if I had to only have one knife, this would be it.

Ive got one and it's a stout folder. My only edit on this one would be to see some additional radiussing on the handles. Soften up those edges and offer a black DLC blade. Carries well in the pocket for a knife it's size.

There are quite a few YouTube reviews so try searching there. The manix 2 backlock is a beautiful knife that’s not only a tough hard use knife, but very well done, it’s a pleasure to look at and hold. I can’t say enough good things about it. It’s my favorite backlock and that’s saying a lot as I have quite a few outstanding ones in my collection. Just buy one! You won’t be disappointed!

I will point out that the knife was received well enough that they have come out with a Native 5 in the same configuration.

I actually just bought the Native 5 version from KC yesterday - it was easy to pull the trigger on that one as I did not have any knives in s90V and the steel makes it unique for me, and it was of a size that I lost one recently.

+1 for the S90 Native. This knife was the biggest surprise in a good way for me. Solid, lightweight, and sturdy and its almost the same price as S35 Native

As stated in my post, I have seen the YouTube vids.

Sorry all I saw was..”.. I am assuming from the lack of user reviews online (there are a grand total of TWO that I could find) that this model never took off and was not a good seller?”

I mistook online reviews as perhaps forum or blog reviews. YouTube probably has 8+ good reviews. Perhaps you haven’t seen them all as you say you only found 2. I would suggest giving it another go, some are pretty informative.

Sorry all I saw was..”.. I am assuming from the lack of user reviews online (there are a grand total of TWO that I could find) that this model never took off and was not a good seller?”

I mistook online reviews as perhaps forum or blog reviews. YouTube probably has 8+ good reviews. Perhaps you haven’t seen them all as you say you only found 2. I would suggest giving it another go, some are pretty informative.

It's still there:

I have seen the Youtube vids, etc

Again, I have seen the YouTube vids as stated again in my post. Thanks much for your inputs.

The two user reviews I am referring to are one on Blade HQ, and one on Knife Center. Even Amazon has zero.

Last edited:
+1 for the S90 Native. This knife was the biggest surprise in a good way for me. Solid, lightweight, and sturdy and its almost the same price as S35 Native

If the M2 Backlock with the G-10 linerless had S90V or S110V I would already own it. I have a PM2 & Shaman already in S30v, and a few other VG-10's of various sizes including two Police SS's I have had for over 20 years. The M2 Backlock in S90V or S110V would have given me something unique, something I didn't already own and would have sweetened the pot. S30V and $142 bucks just didn't add up to "buy me now" for MY needs. YMMV. I think at $142 it is priced right for S90V.

That's why I bought the Native 5 yesterday is S90V - it was also cool that it also had liner-less G-10, another feature I did not have and was cool to try. I think Spyderco should consider this configuration (liner-less G-10) in more knives, it gives a middle ground between LW FRN and G-10 with liners. I have always viewed the spectrum of FRN and G-10 lined to have a vast gulf in between that some would jump on. How many times have you heard "It's too heavy" for the G-10 lined version and "It's too light and does not feel substantial" for the LW versions? Common laments - I think the middle ground in weight is the GOldilocks zone personally.

I have seen that there are a lot of M2's in CF and CPM 154 / S90V composite from last years SPrint Run still around - but for the same reasons it is still around, I am not intrigued. I still haven't quite figured out if it is a composite or laminate anyway - there seems to be mixed stories on this. Big difference. I do woodworking, and own a lot of Japanese chisels, plane blades that are true laminates and laminates can be done right.... but I am not sure i like the idea on my small folding knife - especially mixing S90V with CPM 154. YMMV, I respect some may like this, but I don't.

BTW if anyone is interested, Cutlery SHoppe still has the M2 in CPM154 / S90V from last years SPrint for $199. Given it is $240 most everywhere else, that is a steal if you like that blade steel and CF.

Back