Mater Kitchen Knife - Passaround !!!

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
------ LIST IS CLOSED ------

The time has finally come...:D

I first started the idea of a Mater passaround back in June 2007. I make these with a flat grind on the left side, hollow grind on the right side. The objective being maximum cutting performance in hard-to-cut materials like cheese, tomatoes, potatoes, bread and so on...things people usually cut with a serrated knife. Also, for fine julian cutting, etc.

It works for me in my kitchen....so now I want to see what YOU think.

Here's your chance to try-it-out free of charge.

I decided to go ahead and make a PAIR of Mater knives - one right handed, one left-handed. I'd like to know which you end up prefering. Again, not looking for Hard Chopping.....looking for fine cutting tasks.

Pics:

(right-handed on top, left-handed on bottom)

MaterPassaroundPics1.jpg

MaterPassaroundPics2.jpg

Specs:

Overall = 11"

Blade = 6" of 0.090" thick S30V combo-grind (one side is flat ground, the other is hollow ground) - the edge is quite thin....not "delicate", but thin. Hardness was set to 60 HRc.

Handle = Natural Canvas Micarta w/ aluminum lanyard tubes

So, if you are interested in this passaround, post "I AGREE TO THE RULES - SIGN ME UP" and we'll get 'er going!

RULES

1 - You agree to SHIP ONE WEEK after the day you recieve the knife. If it arrives Monday, you ship the next Monday

2 - You agree to POST A REVIEW (pics optional, but appreciated)

thats it!

Passaround List:
color-coded by month

1. mrnewberry (mid March)
2. Can-Am Joel (late March)
3. Blackwind (early April)
4. bdws1975 (mid April)
5. Snow (late April)

6. Gerberblades (early May)
7. WA Martin (mid May)
8. mymindisamob (late May)

9. jgkelly (early June)
10. Brian_T (mid June)
11. Peri Pheral (late June)

12. Timeless Design (early July)
13. hillst1 (mid July)
14. pyrguy (late July)

15. halfserrated (early August)
16. madborderman07 (mid August)

Thanks!!

Dan

"I AGREE TO THE RULES - SIGN ME UP"

I have wondered how your flat/hollow grind knives cut. I can pick it up manually from the shop if thats handy for you and the order of those interested.

Allen

I agree to the rules. I run a professional kitchen and could REALLY test those babies.

brett

Thanks Dan! I was just talking to my better half about her checking out some kitchen cutlery.
Oh, and "I AGREE TO THE RULES - SIGN ME UP"

ok guys - got everybody signed up.

I need a volunteer to run this for me...collect all the info etc. You must be a current or past customer of mine, and you must be a paying member...and, of course, be willing to babysit this thing for me. :D

Any takers?

I AGREE TO THE RULES - SIGN ME UP

I would especially like to try out your left handed model being a lefty and a kitchen man. :D

ok, mymindisamob - you've got the job! :thumbup:

Thanks!

hillst1 & Blackwind - you are both IN! :thumbup:

And let's close this list and get it going!
(if you are a FT or PT chef and want in - let me know!!!)

Alright folks, step right up!
Those of you on the list, please PM me with your info (BF title, name, address and email) so I can get everyone in nice geo-order.;) If I haven't heard from you by this weekend, I will send some rather large cyber-goons to have a word with ya.:D

Thanks, MMIAM

GAH! How did I miss this one!?!

Well, congratz to those who made the list. I'll be patiently awaiting those reviews :)

Back