Maxpedition Bottle holder kit, review and pics

I use a guitar strap for mine, and you can find the bottles online. I have the strap attached with a stainless wire cable ring at each end (see the pic). I got them from www.bepreparedtosurvive.com . For the water bottle I used the Google shopping thing and then had it sort the results so the cheapest one was on top. I have changed some stuff on mine, and added a few things. When I finish moving I will dig out the camera and update the info on my kit. Good luck with getting it all together :D

StainlessWireCableRingCloseup.ForSite.2.jpg

Last edited:
So got an email back from Two Wolves and they had 2 of the 32 oz bottles in stock. Just put in an order. Got everything in foliage green. Got the 10x4 holder, strap, 3 inch tac ties, small round can holder and cocoon pouch. Also got the GSI cup and 32 ox bottle. Did I miss anything? Does anyone know if any type of small stove (thinking trangia) will fit in this kit with this set up? Really cool thread.

I put a small ti Esbit stove (and fuel) in a their round pouch which fit underneath the bottle/pot

cancasecontent.jpg

stacked.jpg

I've gone through this thread so many times. I've finally ordered a 12x5, 1.5inch strap, and pad. I wanted to just get the basic kit and then build off of it as my needs arise. I already have a nalgene bottle and gsi cup. Hoping to make this my new minimialist kit for the woods.

Regards,
Joe Grimace

Dick sporting goods had the 32 nalgene ss for 6 bucks. And if you google dicks coupons you'll find 10 dollars off a 25 dollar purchase.

Does anyone know if the Snowpeak Trek 900 would fit in the 12 x 5? http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/trek-900-aluminum-scs-008.html

The description says 5" diameter packed, but don't know if that is with the lip of the frying pan and the extra bit from the folding handles.

Yes, in fact a trek 900 does fit as I just got a 12x5 and tried it out. Also the 12x5, with the snowpeak 900 at the bottom, fits a Lifesaver bottle http://www.lifesaverusa.com/category_s/1821.htm.

Don't know if it's been mentioned here before, but I discovered a few days ago that the GSI minimalist nests perfectly on a stainless Nalgene, and fits in a 10x4 just as well as a GSI cup. The lid from the minimalist fits securely in the lid of the 10x4. And, there's still room for a supercat stove and some tea bags underneath it all in the pouch(stove not in the pouch in the pics).

C01C2FE1.jpg

831DB28B.jpg

D0238489.jpg

C389DC50.jpg

For those who are looking for more space in the same cylindrical format, theres the county comm hydrant, made by maratac. Maratac is much lower quality than maxpedition, it's about on par with condor if not a little lower. You'll find ends of fabric (ready to fray) and lower quality in all components, fabric, strapping and snaps. Mostly the strapping, which feels like a standard poly web vs. maxpeditions higher tensile strength and weather treated strapping. But... It's huge, and it's functional.

http://countycomm.com/hydrant.html

like... huge o_o. Even though it says 16x4, when you take out the insulating sleeve it comes out to closer to 5". It will take (albeit a bit tightly) a 2 liter bottle with a little room to spare on the top.

P1020876.jpg

P1020875.jpg

You get notably more space in the cylinder and in the side pouch, as well as side pals platforms compared to the maxpedition 12x5:
zP1030556-1.jpg

How much extra space? Two extra 230g fuel canisters worth of space.
P1030678.jpg

P1030676.jpg

I don't have a kit set up for it, but I do use it specifically for fuel canister and cooking system storage when hiking. I can strap it to the side of my MR alpha wolf or stow it on the side of my 5 gallon pickle bucket load sling set up (for loading rocks during rock hounding). I ended up keeping the Maratac hydrant over the Maxpedition 12x5 because of the added room for longer hikes (5+days), more storage for random crap, and because it's softer and more pliant when loading larger objects into it. The Maxpeditions zipper and fabric are both really stiff and it makes getting stuff in and out difficult, even though I know it's better quality in every regard. I've been beating on my Maxpedition lunada set up for well over a year now and it's still stiffer than maratacs stuff when brand new.

Back