Photos Mega Swamp Rat Fail

Very unusual, but not unheard of. Maybe a heat treat glitch? SR101 is fantastic steel and should take normal abuse like that and just laugh! It IS NOT an expensive steel compared to other newer sexy steels. A lot of that 3 hundo you spent is the legendary warranty that comes with the knife; rest easy. When you get the new Rat, make sure you do exactly what you did the first time around! It will give you the confidence back to carry her in the field.

As a guy that's spent thousands of dollars on Busse blades, I find damage/destruction reports useful and interesting.

I have seen where Jerry Busse steps in to discussions and wants to know more information. The way he does this seems genuine and like he's trying to better his process and product.

I don't take this thread to be anything derisive and look forward to Jerry (or associate) joining this discussion.

Well….we have moved on from Sr101 now….so not sure how much “process improvement” will come from this. But, I am sure of one thing, Jerry’s integrity. He will make it right. The shop makes bomb proof items but steel can be an elusive mistress in heat treat and hide flaws from the best of us. Nature of the craft.

P.s. I pray that one day my knives are so badass that it raises a village collective eyebrow when I get a break !

Doesn't matter how it broke, Busse will take care of it if you contact them. Light use, hard use, misuse, abusive use. Contacting Busse is the right place to go.

Post up their response to complete the story so it doesn't look like you're just trying to flame Busse. There have been plenty of cases of broken knives being replaced, usually it takes a lot more work than you did.

Crap happens, even the most controlled process produces defects every now and then. Seems like a defective product to me.

Last edited:
Btw, I don’t come here to use reddit.
So much this.

If you want to get an opinion and share what happened with the community here then share a picture here. It feels more like Joex rather than John Q PSA when I see a "go to this other forum to see what happened".

Did you contact the shop yet? Granted holiday weekend I would hope you wouldn't get a response until at earliest Monday (hopefully everyone is at home with families and not at work).

I prefer my psa stories to have a beginning, middle, and end. I also find that the community is way more helpful and everyone including yourself (op) gets more from the experience. Granted sometimes you may not get a quick response and then the thread has a this happened and I contacted the shop and will update when I hear back.

Sorry you have to deal with shipping times around the holidays but I have no doubt you'll be taken care of. Hopefully all the details can make it here to this thread.

Keep it gentle, folks, I'm down sick & no mood for moderating (you have so far, & thanks 👍)

Jerry Busse Jerry Busse Garth Reckner Garth Reckner , just wanted to draw your attention to this thread before I pull an abracadabra (bippity boppity boo Michael Caine style) 🤧😉

Keep it gentle, folks, I'm down sick & no mood for moderating (you have so far, & thanks 👍)

Jerry Busse Jerry Busse Garth Reckner Garth Reckner , just wanted to draw your attention to this thread before I pull an abracadabra (bippity boppity boo Michael Caine style) 🤧😉
Feel Better my friend.
I am sick as well. sucks

The Mega Ratmandu has a hollow ground blade. And from what I can see in the pictures you tried to cross baton through that log which looks like hard wood. The knife stopped but you kept going. Something had to give and the knife unfortunately gave in due to the thin cross section.

As much time has passed and the issue was resolved under warranty at Jerry's insistence, just a heads up that some of these Mega RMD's had super thin edges from the deep hollow grinding, like literally paper thin. No secondary edge bevel. I noticed the issue and smacked a soft pine 2x4 a couple times which deformed the blade. If it'd been chopping harder wood, damage similar to the OP's would have resulted.

The warranty replacement was delivered in short order and did not exhibit the grind issues or delicacy problems. It's since been battoned through much wood and generally carried as a field knife without further incident.

So a heads up if you have a Mega RMD sitting in storage that's never seem any real use. Might want to check to make sure there's a secondary bevel on the edge and that it's not excessively thinned.

I will reiterate, the Busse warranty is a thing of legend and any problems with Busse blades need to be brought to their attention first.

150159834_145918337359019_352133581298130089_n.jpg

I didn't notice in the thread..... did we get an actual measurement of the steel's thickness?

Well, that truly sucks. The only bright spot is that they WILL take care of you. Just like the guy who drove over his blade with a riding mower. Calling the Shop is probably better that email.

Folks, he can't post pics here due to his member level. But he did come here with a straight up report and no vitriol. Busse will handle it.

Seems counterintuitive but that probably would not have blown out the way it did were it not for the combination of thin geometry BEHIND the edge bevel along with obscenely obtuse edge bevel geometry. The extra obtuse edge bevel presents a very significant amount of force required to enter the wood which in turn translates to massive amounts of lateral force on the knife if it doesn't bite. The solution is to always make certain that if you are using knives with thin geometry behind the edge bevel you MUST ensure that the edge bevel is acute enough to contain the damage to the edge bevel itself and not cause the failure point to be in the primary bevel because the edge bevel is so impervious to damage.

Apologies for the delay in responding. Long holiday out of town and didn’t have a chance to keep up on the forum.

Please return to:
Busse Combat
11651 Co Rd 12
Wauseon OH 43567

We will get you taken care of. Not sure what went wrong there but once it is here we will be able to see what happened.

Rest assured that we have you covered.

Garth

Feel Better my friend.
I am sick as well. sucks
Pretty sure it's the covid. Almost made it 3 years... Hopefully not nearly as severe on your end, because while I'm not regretting carrying on without a vax, it is not a fun virus to catch.
Coming on day 5, and over the top, but wow what a ride. Fever & chills, devastating sinus pressure, restricted airflow, trashed gut, weak as a kitten... I need to get some tea & a lemon, but luckily Tylenol & Advil combo taken as directed for dental pain took out the worst of the severe headache, most of it actually. That was the worst from the start.
Now, if I could only breathe...or cough less strenuously 🤔
Anyway, thanks & hope you fell better asap as well 🤙

Pretty sure it's the covid. Almost made it 3 years... Hopefully not nearly as severe on your end, because while I'm not regretting carrying on without a vax, it is not a fun virus to catch.
Coming on day 5, and over the top, but wow what a ride. Fever & chills, devastating sinus pressure, restricted airflow, trashed gut, weak as a kitten... I need to get some tea & a lemon, but luckily Tylenol & Advil combo taken as directed for dental pain took out the worst of the severe headache, most of it actually. That was the worst from the start.
Now, if I could only breathe...or cough less strenuously 🤔
Anyway, thanks & hope you fell better asap as well 🤙
Hope you get better! Make sure you’re dosing good on the C, D, zinc and staying away from processed foods and alcohol 😳. Had it twice in the past year (no vac) but wasn’t too bad. Worst is I smell smoke a lot now and it actually burns 🤣
Sorry for the quick derail everyone.

That knife looks abused and mangled. I'd love to know the details of how it was used.
Doesn't look that abused to me. Well, other than the big chunk taken out of the edge.
I've used mine, but not like this. I like the hollow grind, but the spine is so thick.... It's a collector's item to me. Used, but not much. I haven't babied it. But I have no qualms about beating the snot out of it. But I like my other 'mandus better, so I use them more. I HAVE used at least one of them like this. It was child's play.

Back