More Forumite Stats - - - Hand Size

Here's one interpretation of the data - everybody is welcome to their own opinion/interpretation.

Chart 1 shows a basic "grouping"
attachment.php

Chart 2 shows a cross section drawn through it
attachment.php

Chart 3 shows a bullseye drawn in the middle
attachment.php

Chart 4 shows the bullseye "weighted" to account for marks outside of the grouping.
attachment.php

Chart 5 shows the top and bottom ranges of that rough bullseye.
attachment.php

So, to sum up.

The average khukuri owner's hand is between 3.6" and 3.9" wide, and has an inside diameter between 1.6" and 1.9".

p.s. somebody (maybe RR) - go ahead and check the distribution, variation, mean, median and so on. Should be interesting...

I wonder how that info would lend itself to some sort of 3d imaging, or modeling so you could make some sort of Go/No Go gauge?

I wonder if the diameter isn't a bit large, the prefered dia for for windsurfing booms and kayak padldle shafts is ~1.23", somewhat different application true.

Does anyone have the experience wheather the measured E correlates well with a prefered handle dia?

TLM

TLM, I think that's a good point. Although my 'E' measurement is almost 2", a grip with a diameter of about 1.25"-1.5" is far more comfortable than one with a 2" cross-section. You have a lot more gripping power when you can really wrap your fingers around an object.

Yes...this is meant really only for relative measurements......no way you can make absolutes...because knife owners differ as much as the knives do (provided that they're actually being used properly).

Daniel Koster said:
Yes...this is meant really only for relative measurements......no way you can make absolutes...because knife owners differ as much as the knives do (provided that they're actually being used properly).

Case in point: The Plumber's Knife

basic_sink.jpg

:D

Thanks Sarge! I was wondering where I fit. Damn! I want to shake hands with Hamon sometime!

I can see it now..."Statistically engineered" khukris...

Remember...there are three kinds of lies according to Sam Clemens - Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics.

ps: I've been told I am good at spanking...
:D

LOL, I wonder what the kamis would think if they saw this thread? Probably what they think already, that we're some crazy Americans. But at least we buy a lot.

DK

I well understand the meaning of this data collection, I was really asking if somebody had tested what the percentage of comfortable handle dia would be of the measurement now done?

TLM

Here's my stats if you're still interested, DK:

A. 2.500
B. 3.563
C. 3.125
D. 4.500
E. 1.813

Bob

A: 3"
B: 4"
C: 3 1/2"
D: 4 3/4"
E: 1 13/16"

I always thought I had very large hands (need to buy extra large gloves) till I read this thread. Guess I"m just in the upper 25% or so of the group. Still having a problem with my first HI purchase, a BDC, where the handle is so small as to be uncomfortable. Plan to contact Yangdu regarding same.

A = 2
B = 3
C = 2.75
D = 3.75
E = 1.375

Glad to know I'm probably not the only one who still has to shop for gloves in the kids' section. :D

Dayum... I was just looking back on some posts and found out I was the spanking champion! Wow... I'm honored. Must be the food 'round these here parts.

Travis

Hamon said:
Dayum... I was just looking back on some posts and found out I was the spanking champion! Wow... I'm honored. Must be the food 'round these here parts.

Travis
Probably more like you pushed your siblings away from the table before they could eat so you could have their share too.:rolleyes: :p :D ;)

That's what happened between my brother and me. :eek: Jack was 6'2" and about 185-195 and I wound up 5' 10" and 160 for years.
The back surgeries I had fully rounded me out, and now I'm about 5'7" and 275 + or -.:rolleyes: ;) :D
I had to have the extra 3" over Rusty in order to carry around the extra sh*t.:rolleyes: :grumpy:

Back