More K390, please

I love Spyderco's K390, full stop. However ... I don't love lock backs and I don't love FRN scales. Could we please get a K390 knife with G10, micarta, or Ti scales in something that isn't a lock back? Thank you!
100 percent agree

Why? Dlc doesn't offer corrosion protection.
It weirdly does and doesn't. I can tell you that I still see the effects of carbon steel being carbon steel on my GF's EDC, sometimes IWB, M4 Sage 5, with DLC. It isn't as though it's perfect. But it does something....differently, that some may find a "cleaner" look. Yeah, it is not going to help if you throw the knife in the sink for an hour, like, it doesn't keep the knife safe.

OK, so:

Whaddayouwant?

Models
Sizes
Blade shapes
Handle material
Any other thoughts to share, as we also like K390.

FYI & In my opinion, I would prefer K390 naked with no coatings. The steel easily corrodes and must be cared for, daily in humid environments. It's not difficult, just requires dedication. Not a prblem in Colorado, but I carry a K390 P4 with small pits "grown" in Hawaii, to remind me.

I have seen some situations where corrosion somehow began under the coating and wasn't visible due to the coating. It's not a common thing as modern coatings are quite good, but I would personally pay attention when in humid locations. It's a very special flavor of blade steel and must be "loved".

sal

K390 shines in thin grinds. And the spyderco lineup that currently uses them are...the thin ones (well played).

How about some kitchen knives in K390? Bow River in K390? Some sprints of old knives in K390? I get little tired of looking at jade g10 and M4, and that one dude who's still trying to flip his rocklobster haha.

Thanks for hearing us out.

Comp locks, like maybe the first Military 2 sprint? Maybe a hawkbill or reverse-S sprint like the Lil Matriarch, that'd be great in K390, for BBS maybe? I'd buy two.

I agree with kitchen knives, too. Blue micarta...?

Second the Native Chief. But keep the Seki models going! And please, rever-S it.

OK, so:

Whaddayouwant?

Please consider offering both of your Perrin bowies in K390 (possibly a little thinner stock on the Street Bowie, if possible). I agree that it looks best uncoated so no complaints there.

Sal, thanks for taking the time to survey your fans.

*Edit to add that a Stretch XL in K390 and FRN would be lovely as well.

Last edited:
Superleaf. Is it crazy to see the GB1 brought back in K390? Anything, really. Really like the steel.

I'd love to see K390 on a longer bladed Golden model like a Military or Native Chief. The Chief I think has a beautifully ground blade where K390 would shine. I think that would make for a special knife. A K390 Military would be a nice swan song for the original (I'm being a bit pessimistic here, but I feel the days of the original are numbered).

I'm not at all a fan of coated blades, and in fact I do not buy coated blades period. Far rather a patina than a coating.

Back