Mors Kochanski " Try Stick "

DavidZ

Gold Member
I generally just whittle. Take a stick and turn it into chips. It soothes me. I got ambitious and decided to make a Try Stick.
I hope I posted in the right forum here. Let me know your thoughts, It was fun, and I encourage you to make one.
kFZYvyR.jpg

oJnYcyU.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I may have posted this in the wrong forum. Maybe? I wasn't sure where it belongs.

Don't sweat it. We were driving the Traditional subforum moderators crazy discussing what we did with our knives instead of discussing the knives themselves, so some of us asked Spark for a place to talk about projects rather than the tools used. I figured if nothing else it would give the mods someplace to move the threads without knife content. Spark graciously provided the Workshop for that purpose, but it doesn't seem to be widely known.

Good point, I wasn't expressly aware of that section back in the closet either, and maybe a moderator will take notice and move this thread over to that location?
G2

DavidZ DavidZ I know what a try stick is, and good on you for giving it a try. It is easier with green wood; I did one with a dry piece of pine and it was a chore! It's always good to actually use a knife and get to know it. Folks are generally more invested in buying instead of using here.

nice, try sticks are fun. good way to develop more skill.

a try stick i recently did. LTWK Boattail

75D59DE6-2D8C-4CB4-B366-B1A27A3055D5.jpegD4A51FE2-4859-4774-B9D1-800B068C5903.jpeg

rounded tip, saddle notch, 7-notch, round reduction, square reduction, V-notch, bail hook, flat reduction with square hole, dove tail notch, lashing groove, and wedge end.

nice, try sticks are fun. good way to develop more skill.

a try stick i recently did. LTWK Boattail

View attachment 2079302View attachment 2079303

rounded tip, saddle notch, 7-notch, round reduction, square reduction, V-notch, bail hook, flat reduction with square hole, dove tail notch, lashing groove, and wedge end.
Wow 😳 that looks great 👍.
I didn't think to remove the bark. I will do that on my next one.

Back