Multi-tool roll call

Welcome Boing! , wow thats an impresive list youve go there .Out of all your plier based multitools which ones your favourite/most usefull ?

Dunc

Boing! said:
Hi there - I just found this forum tonight, and couldn't believe there were so many people addicted to gadgetry, as am I. I have been collecting SAK for the past seven years, and have over 100 of each (Vic and Wenger). Plus I have a large case full of other multi tools. So, let me just hit some of the ones I see on my list that I "get a smile on my face" when I hold them:

Browning Camp Knife
Buck Metro LED
Gerber Eclipse
Gerber Keystyle, black
Gerber Nautilus
Gerber Solstice
Kershaw Caribiner Tool (National Geographic)
Kershaw MultiTool
Leatherman Micra
Leatherman Mini Tool
Leatherman PST
Leatherman Wave
Schrade Navitool
Schrade Tough Chip Mini Multi Tool
SOG Access Card
SOG Cross Grip Mini Multi Tool with Pliers
SOG SwitchPlier
Sog ToolPlex
Sog Vino
Spyderco Spydecard 50/50
Spyderco SpydeRench (Serrated)
Swiss-Tech MicroPlus
Swiss-Tech ScrewzAll
Swiss-Tech Screwball
Tool Logic Credit Card Companion
Tool Logic Golf Tool
Tool Logic Office Companion
Tool Logic SL1 Mini Survival Tool
Tool Logic Tool Lite Deluxe
Tool Logic Wine Companion
Victorinox Altimeter, Ruby
Victorinox Angler
Victorinox Atlas
Victorinox Auto Tool
Victorinox Camp Flame
Victorinox Camper
Victorinox CyberTool 34, Ruby
Victorinox Deluxe Climber
Victorinox Electrician
Victorinox Equestrian
Victorinox Farmer
Victorinox Fireman
Victorinox Forester
Victorinox Golf Tool
Victorinox Hercules, Black
Victorinox Hunter, OD Green
Victorinox Mechanic
Victorinox Midnite MiniChamp II
Victorinox Picnicker
Victorinox Pioneer
Victorinox Pioneer Harvester
Victorinox Rambler
Victorinox Skipper
Victorinox Soldier
Victorinox Solo
Victorinox Spartan, Hardwood
Victorinox SportRatchet
Victorinox SwissCard Lite, Onyx
Victorinox SwissChamp SOS Kit
Victorinox SwissChamp XLT
Victorinox SwissChamp XXLT
Victorinox SwissTool
Victorinox Timekeeper, Black
Victorinox USB Memory
Victorinox Voyager
Victorinox WorkChamp
Victorinox WorkChamp XL
Watson Tool Card
Wenger Bernina Sew Essential Sewing Tool
Wenger Brushed Metal Highlander (Metal 50)
Wenger Business Tool & Case
Wenger Catch & Release
Wenger Century Advantage Timber
Wenger Cigar Cutter
Wenger Computer Wiz
Wenger Diplomat
Wenger Double-Blade
Wenger Everest
Wenger Flashlight
Wenger Golf Pro
Wenger Highlander Camo Choke Tube
Wenger Laser
Wenger Miniathor & Accessory Kit
Wenger Minigrip
Wenger Monarch
Wenger Motorist
Wenger Navigateur
Wenger Patriot
Wenger Porsche Design
Wenger Ranger X.treme
Wenger Serrated Master
Wenger Skier
Wenger Small Mountain Bike
Wenger Snowboarder
Wenger Soccer
Wenger Standard Issue
Wenger Survivor
Wenger Tool Chest Plus - Black
Wenger Watchmaker, Black

...And don't even get me going on cordless tools! :) Fun forum topic!
Welcome to the forum.
I just want to warn you, your list will probably be twice as long very soon..... mine is. Everytime I think I have all that I need, these guys post about something else that I can't live without.

Hi Dunc - I'd have to say the Leatherman Wave is my favourite of those, but I'm starting to get a real itch for the Charge Ti. (How long did that take, Fruitbat?) :)

Boing!

Boing! said:
Hi Dunc - I'd have to say the Leatherman Wave is my favourite of those, but I'm starting to get a real itch for the Charge Ti. (How long did that take, Fruitbat?) :)

Boing!

I actually won a Charge Ti here at BladeForums. I signed up for a "Passaround" and won the raffle at the end. The possibility of winning free stuff just makes it worse. :D :D :D

I've got the leatherman PSTII, Wave, Juice (orange one), Victorinox Swisstool and Spirit. I like the PSTII the best.

LM SuperTool 200 X 2
LM Charge Ti X 2
Lm Core X 1
LM Surge X 1

Looks like I am missing one Core and one Surge!!!!!! I guess it's time to do some more shopping!!!!

phwl said:
I've got the leatherman PSTII, Wave, Juice (orange one), Victorinox Swisstool and Spirit. I like the PSTII the best.

Usually, my preferred Leatherman is a Supertool. Instead, I packed my PST for a 1 month stay in England last year because a reading of UK knife laws gave me the impression that locking blades were not legal for EDC. It was of no consequence during my stay, the PST did just fine. However, your inventory makes me wonder if I erred too much on the side of caution.

May I ask, what are the local customs regarding multi-tools with locking blades?

znapschatz said:
Usually, my preferred Leatherman is a Supertool. Instead, I packed my PST for a 1 month stay in England last year because a reading of UK knife laws gave me the impression that locking blades were not legal for EDC. It was of no consequence during my stay, the PST did just fine. However, your inventory makes me wonder if I erred too much on the side of caution.

From what I've read here and on other forums, not much is legal in England -- or in NYC for that matter! It all depends on whether you run afoul of the law. If you don't give law enforcement a reason to draw a bead on you, you'll be fine.

One way to err on the side of caution yet still be prepared -- and save some dough if you do not yet own a Leatherman or SwissTool -- is to pack a standard SAK, which will have non-locking blades, and an ordinary pair of needlenose pliers.

Just watched an auction close on eBay. A now discontinued Victorinox XXLT sold for $760!! I bought mine from a store Switzerland in the Summer of 2004 for $259. Now that's appreciation! :cool:

I've got a few, but not as many as some of you guys!

1. Gerber Mulit-plier
  2. Leatherman Squirt P4
  3. Victorinox Swiss Champ
  4. Victorinox Recruit
  5. Victorinox Ambasador
  6. Victorinox Signature Lite
Although there are still a few more I would like to pick up... :D

Too many Victorinox to list(how sad?)
Bought a leatherman pulse once,cross cut screwdriver rounded off first time i used it and when i tried to use the can opener the knives locking mechanism broke!Took it straight back and swapped it for another Victorinox.
From my experiance leatherman can keep their s**t!!!

znapschatz said:

May I ask, what are the local customs regarding multi-tools with locking blades?

Its not legal to EDC multi tools with locking blades here in the UK, the non locking leatherman was a good idea :) one thing to remember is that if you are found with a locking knife and the police decide to prosecute you face a minimum 2 year jail sentence, which may increase to 5 years if the anti knife lobby get their way...

I thought this was worth mentioning as I get the feeling in the US the policeman would typically just take the thing off of you if you arent meant to have it?

My multi tool list is modest

SAK mountaineer
LM wave (old style)
SAK solider (lost it though :()
LM juice
LM Micra

Soon to add another SAK (when I can find a suitable one, I want it to be reasonably thin but to have a philips driver on it, along with scissors...maybe I will go for a delux tinker and put up with the extra weight)

Leatherman Juice orange in my drivers side door pocket

Leatherman Wave new design in my center console in my truck

Victorinox Swiss Champ some use when I go hiking

bladefixation2 said:
Its not legal to EDC multi tools with locking blades here in the UK, the non locking leatherman was a good idea :) one thing to remember is that if you are found with a locking knife and the police decide to prosecute you face a minimum 2 year jail sentence, which may increase to 5 years if the anti knife lobby get their way...

I thought this was worth mentioning as I get the feeling in the US the policeman would typically just take the thing off of you if you arent meant to have it?

Depends on the circumstances and venue. There are no uniform national knife regulations. Law abiding citizens in peaceful areas have little to fear of arrest or confiscation, no matter what they are carrying or whatever the local knife restrictions, which vary greatly depending on state or municipality. It is usually left to the discretion of local authorities. Someone out fly fishing, repairing something, picnicking with family etc. who happens to have a proscribed blade on his person will most likely not be approached by the police. I have heard at second or third hand of people losing their knives to the law from strict enforcement, but have never personally witnessed such a thing and don't know anyone who ever experienced it except, of course, air passengers who forgot to leave their Micras or nail clippers at home. I don't know of anyone arrested solely for carrying an illegal knife. Knife specifications are typically added to other criminal charges rather than a cause for arrest.

Ohio, where I live, permits 4 inch locking blade folders carried either openly or concealed. Fixed blades of any size may be carried openly, but if you are not in a rural setting engaged in hunting or some other "appropriate" activity, police discretion can work against you. Walk through an Ohio shopping mall with a legally permissible Kabar on your hip and the only uncertainty would be how far you get before being interviewed by the constabulary.

bladefixation2 said:
My multi tool list is modest

SAK mountaineer
LM wave (old style)
SAK solider (lost it though :()
LM juice
LM Micra

Soon to add another SAK (when I can find a suitable one, I want it to be reasonably thin but to have a philips driver on it, along with scissors...maybe I will go for a delux tinker and put up with the extra weight)

So, how do you deal with your locking blade Wave when out and about?

Here's a short list:
LM:
Micra
old Wave,
new Wave,
Charge Ti,
Juice XE6,
SuperTool 200,
Core,
Surge.
Victorinox Swiss Tool:
Swiss Tool X
Gerber:
Diesel
Legend 800 -gave away...worthless pliers that don't open wide enough to even use on anything bigger than a pin head.:thumbdn:
SOG:
Powerlock...worthless pliers, like the Gerber Legend 800 that don't open very wide.:mad:

My favorite is by far the LM Core. I like large, heavy duty tools. This is my every day carry that I keep on my belt with my business suite...the black leather sheath looks good. This is always on my side. My next favorite is the Surge. I don't usually wear a belt with my jeans, so I clip this onto the inside of my pocket when I'm not at work. NICE:cool:
The great thing about having so many multi pliers, is that I can use different sheaths with different tools. If I don't like one, I can put the tool in another sheath, etc.
Just a side note: my brother-in-law broke the pliers on a standard Gerber just by squeezing too hard on a bolt...worthless craftsmanship.
JK

mmmm, just saw this post.

I don't have too many.

2 Super tool 200's from way back
Old Wave
Surge
Micra, but TSA took it away when I forgot it in pocket

Vic Altimeter (bought in Zurich airport b4 sept 11 brought it home on the plane)
Vic Classic
Vic Tinker

I've only got two :(
An Eddie Bauer Edition Gerber (not sure of the moniker), and a Victorinox Champion I picked up on a trip to Denmark a bunch of years ago...

Back