Native 5 S90V Fluted Carbon Fiber

We've been discussing this over on the Spyderco Forums. I hadn't seen anything about it here on BF so I thought I'd mention it.

For those who were disappointed when Spyderco announced that they were cancelling production of the Native 5 S90V with fluted carbon fiber handle, it looks like it's back on. Several dealers are now showing this again on their websites and some have even mentioned July/August delivery.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. On one hand I'm excited that they've decided to go ahead produce the knife afterall. I wanted one originally and was bummed when they said they weren't going to make it. On the other hand, I'm a bit sorry that I went ahead and bought a 40th Anniversary Native in lieu of the less expensive S90V version. I guess I got over my frustration fairly quick because I went ahead and pre-ordered the new model this afternoon. I figure I can always sell the 40th Native if I want. I like the knife and what it commemorates so I plan on keeping both at this point.

I just got the S110V blurple version and really like it. I won't be getting rid of that knife. I will be adding this one, though. Never cared for the back locks until I held and used this knife.

they need to make a version thats cheaper. use XHP, cpm-154, or d2 or something cheaper than the Damascus (but not vg-10 or other budget steel). then just peel ply carbon fiber instead of fluted. if it were to come in around 200$ give or take that would be idea. would like to see more versions of liner less carbon fiber scale models from spyderco, not just the native5.

Edit
DANG, http://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Native-5-Knife-Fluted--33043
not a bad price for s90v tho.

tbo if it were actual map (40% off, at $215) id buy it today.

Last edited:
I don't get why it's listed at 30% off instead of the usual 40%. I assume that Spyderco recommended that pricing for some reason? Perhaps because they're very limited in production quantity?

Too expensive for what it is, should be well below $200. The S90v forum knife was $100, so they want $150 extra just for carbon fiber scales?? :confused: No thanks!

Too expensive for what it is, should be well below $200. The S90v forum knife was $100, so they want $150 extra just for carbon fiber scales?? :confused: No thanks!
its fluted ... extra machining and cf is hard on tooling... so more cost for it.

I don't think its not Worth that value, but think the value could be better at $215. however no one mentioned on how many are being made. if its a 1200 run then it will command a higher price than a 3000+ run.

The Native5 Sprint Run of Summer 2014 had S110V with ordinary peel-ply CF for a street price of around $192 and 800 produced.

Fluted CF is expensive to make.

Regardless, these would sell a lot better at $215.97 (40% off MSRP) than $251.97 (30% off MSRP).

It's possible that it's a 1,200 piece Sprint Run like the 40th Anniversary Native5 also with Fluted CF.

Reactions: Mo2
its now changed to 215 at one retailer. not sure if a vendor here so ill not post who.

spyderco made too many good knives i want this year, and i dont have enough money to buy them all at once LOL

its fluted ... extra machining and cf is hard on tooling... so more cost for it.

Yep! It's also contoured and solid CF. No CF/G10 laminate here. Since there's no liners it's a very light weight knife yet the handle still has a solid feel. The 40th Native feels great, blade deploys smooth, blade drops when the lock bar is pressed, etc. I'm sure this one will be a winner too.

I do think the price is a little steep at $252. But the fluted titanium N5 is the same price so maybe it's not so out of line? I still have one of these on pre-order but I've decided I don't need to another knife in this price range, especially when I already have a 40th N5 and 3 other models on pre-order. If the price does end up being $215 I'll likely buy it.

It's been another good year for Spydie fans! Some nice surprises for sure. My wallet's been weeping a lot lately.

Reactions: Mo2
Super light love it! I really like S90V over S110V however I'd like to see Cruwear or M4 myself.

Sal I hope there's a Fluted CF Military coming! :D

its now changed to 215 at one retailer. not sure if a vendor here so ill not post who.

spyderco made too many good knives i want this year, and i dont have enough money to buy them all at once LOL

That's the biggest complaint I have with them. They have too damn many knives I want, haha.

nothing bad about this native 5,and i have collected quite alot of them,but this one i feel is a little over priced!i fell head over heals for para 3 and waiting for the S90V carbon fiber to hit the shelf's,but maybe because its CF as well,could possibly be same price!i hope not though!its true that they have many to to pick from with different steels,its what i love about spyderco.

Spyderco responded as follows:

"The Native 5 Fluted carbon fiber handle with S90V blade steel should be coming out sometime this summer.
It is a standard production item and not a sprint run.
The MSRP on this knife is $359.95. Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) is 40% off of MSRP. Dealers can set their pricing as long as it is not below that price. "​

Since it's a production and not a sprint run, I for one will hold out for the $215.97 street price (40% off MSRP)! No rush in getting one.

Great news. Production means we get a little breathing room too. Not that I will wait:D

That's good news. Can't wait to get this knife. Not a bad price, either.

Back