Need a good contest

Sal Glesser

Just noticed that we past 11,000 posts. Pretty active group...and mostly knife stuff.

I would like to ask you to help engineer a contest that could be repeated for different events. for example; For helping us to total more than 11,000 posts, we would to give the winner of the "11,000 post contest"
a Starmate.

Mikes uses "pick a number", Gail suggested pick a country. I would like something that promotes some thinking rather than just luck, or would you rather have be just luck? It's your contest. What do you want to play? And what would you like as the prize?

sal

I'm all for luck, personally. Whether it be by the member number, or just a random guess by each person.

------------------
Shawn
"Earth has its boundaries, but human stupidity is limitless."

In an extremely self-centered move, I suggest you post a picture of a rare military aircraft and give a Spydie/Lum to the first person who can I.D. it. Plain-edge preferred.

Seriously, "name this X" contests are fun, but you need a more universal topic and some way to balance the playing field for folks who know the answer but don't get online as often.

Name this spider?

-Drew

I think LUCK will do. In this case, EVERYONE has a chance to win, not only the most knowledgeable, faster typers, etc. among us... Or maybe YOU can pick a number X, and the person that posted at that number X in the thread history (in the region of the 11000th post, or X posts after the 11000th post, for instance), is the winner?... However, that means that we can't know about such a contest in advance, as it'll spur EVERYONE on to post like crazy!!
wink.gif

Thanks for thinking along these lines, Sal. I'm sure that NO-ONE will say no to a free Spydie! And that just for doing what we all love!

In terms of the prize: I suggest that it should be either the "top-of-the-line" product at that stage, or most discussed Spydie in the forums during that particular time, or maybe the winner can have a choice from certain models? Or what about one of the "first-of-the-production-run" pieces that becomes available?

[This message has been edited by Heyns van der Merwe (edited 09 September 1999).]

I vote for luck but should somehow be related to the Spyderco forum. Maybe a thread with a register in this thread for a free whatever and then enter all the names in a hat and draw one out. That should spike your message count. The prize should be somehow unique, maybe with Sal's autograph lazer etched into the blade or carbon fiber handles on a Starmate (wow would I like one of those!). Yes, it might cost a little more but what a prize!!!

I go for pure luck! even though I never seem to be the lucky one, but that doesn't stop me from buying lottery!!

Sal,
I'd prefer plain old luck. I don't seem to have much but I'd rather rely on that than trying to get my brain to funtion reliably at midnight , which is when I usally get to the forums.
I cant for the life of me come up with the basis of a contest, but I do enjoy them. One of these days I'll actually win one!!
Congrats on all the posts!!

------------------

~~TOM~~

Luck never has been a companion of mine but it would make it interesting. I still buy lottery tickets too.

However, in the spirit of the forum, I think something along the lines of a trivia contest might be worthwhile. Spyderco trivia, of course. Edge-u-cational as well as entertaining.

There could also be a contest to see who could come up with the best slogan or jingle for advertizing Spyderco products. Who knows? There could be a budding ad executive out there who just might blossom in here.

How about one to see who can come up with the best idea for a new Spyderco product? Lots of possibilities out here.

As far as prizes, something unique and specific to the genre'.

------------------
Dennis Wright
Wright Knife & Sporting Goods
(Buy a gun....Piss off a liberal!)
La Mesa, Kalifornica
wrightknife@ixpres.com

I would prefer a pure luck contest as the timing of the last one Sal ran with all the questions to be answered precluded anyone not in the same time zone for having any much of a chance.

I only have web access at work and am on the other side of the Atlantic so it is difficult to compete on timed things.

my 2p's worth

Hi Sal and All,

First I would like to see the Spyderco Book as one of the contest prices, maybe an early print signed by Sal himself.

I think the most challenging contest to find the most enthusiastic Spyderco forumite, is to divide ones yearly salary by the number of Spyderco knives he owns: The smallest number is the winner !

This will really shows a dedication to the Spyderco brand name as it shows how much would someone sucrifice for a Spyderco folder.

Verification for this data could be done by an authorized Spyderco dealer (that cannot attend the contest as they get better prices) - I suggest giving prices to several regions of the world: USA, Central - South America, Europe, middle-east, Asia etc...

What do you think ??

AG

Israel

[This message has been edited by AG (edited 09 September 1999).]

How about drawing a name. But only from members who have contributed to the Spyderco forum?

It increases our chances of winning if we eliminate the non-spydies from the contest.

I like luck, especially if the odds are more in my favor.

I like the idea of randomly picking the name of someone that has made a post on the Spyderco forum.

I would also like to see dealers that posted on the Spyderco forum included in this contest (they are not allowed to win the BF contest). Because after all, a dealer uses and pays for his knives too.

------------------
C.O.'s-"It takes balls to work behind the walls "

There have been a couple of good ideas already;
Random pick of active Spyderco forum member
AG's idea has a lot of merit
Dennis' too
I'd go for any one of these.
Thnaks for asking Sal

Count my vote as one for luck! I look forward to the possibility of a second StarMate as I would then have a dynamite Christmas present for No. 1 Son.

------------------
Walk in the Light,
Hugh

Back