Need help deciding.

rwdata

Gold Member
Hi to anyone who responds to this. I have a decent size collection of Busse and Busse Kin and a situation has come up or should I say an opportunity. You see, I have never used any of my knives except for food cutting as I live in a Suburbia with a small lot and not many trees that need to be cut or trimmed as they are quite large. Recently a small tree (maybe 50ft) has fallen over from my neighbors yard line and fallen onto my property. The tree is about 6-8 inches diameter and I want to clear it. I don’t have a chainsaw so I figured I would finally put to use one of my choppers. The question is, which do you recommend? Here are the choices.

WTF Battle grade

B11 Asymmetric

D Guard Battle Mistress BG

Kill Devil Sniper Hawk

Busse Huck

All are brand new as received from Busse. Your opinions count toward my final decision. Thank you for your time and opinions.

Do you want to only use one and keep the rest mint? Otherwise I say use them all and wail on that thing until nothing's left but mulch! I can't help but to use all of mine.

I actually don't have any of those blades despite having a decent-sized collection of my own, but if I had to pick just one of those to be my user, I'd have to pick the B11.

Both previous answers sound on the money. I don't have a WTF but it looks like a ton of fun to chop with. On the other hand, if you were going to pick a beater that you could swing for a longer period of time, the B11 fit's the bill, and it's INFI. :)

My ashbm is superb chopper, the WTF CG is also great, I have not used bg version.

Id go for what calls to you the most. That way you don't go wishing later you tried it after having used another.
Great time for some pics :)

If it's Asymmetric with a B followed by a Number I'm on it like a Fat Kid On Cake!!!!

B11, I love my Asym user! It's not many that can say they are enjoying using Jerry's proprietary steel with proprietary heat treatment that they know for a fact was sharpened by the man himself! That was the story behind those Asym B11's offered at Blade years ago. I won't ever part with mine for that reason.
Works great on fresh green wood as well as seasoned frozen firewood and is comfy to boot! And if you don't like it, send it to me for proper disposal! :D
wsvebp.jpg

ae8c3k.jpg

b506mw.jpg

Clearing an entire tree means a LOT of chopping. You have two choices:

Run a Chop-Off among all those blades. See what works for you.

If you don't want to use all those safe queens, then go the B11. It will be the most efficient chopper, in that it won't tire you out over an extended session.

Nah, if you don't use it you might be tempted to sell it down the road. If it was a one of a kind Jerry ground Asym satin snakeskin NMWTFkete o_O type of monster chopping pigsticker, then maybe I could see not enjoying this short life and keeping it a safe queen. But to pass up the joy of chopping with a sweet piece of INFI for a B11 to not be used for resale value... no thanks.:p The minimal loss in value is well worth the fun that beats a night at the movies or a bowling alley. :D

Clearing an entire tree means a LOT of chopping. You have two choices:

Run a Chop-Off among all those blades. See what works for you.

If you don't want to use all those safe queens, then go the B11. It will be the most efficient chopper, in that it won't tire you out over an extended session.
Or this. But either way, use the B11. Oh, and if your hands are not accustomed to chopping you will want to wear gloves and keep a firm grip on the handle to keep feedback to a minimum. You can thank us later for that little nugget of pain prevention. ;) Don't be afraid to do it though, the best memories are made from rewarding experiences, not regrets.
Clearing a whole tree isn't that bad and can be done in about an hour or two depending on size. Here is tree I did in May with a BB13cg:
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bb13-processing-8-douglas-fir-tree.1499308/

As I stated, all the blades considered are all new. I have never chopped with any Busse product. I use my smaller blades for food prep and eating. Not even a challenge for such an amazingly tough knife product.

I have used my B11 and kill devil for clearing a number of smaller trees, both work great

Back