New Buck 110 LT

Some of the early stainless knives were 300 series with Nickel added. These knives were not hardenable and had soft edges. Other early stainless knives were made of high Carbon 440-C which was hardenable and hard to sharpen on natural stones like Arkansas (micro-crystaline quartz).
On account of the push back on early stainless, most cutlery companies stopped using the word stainless in their ads. 400 series (hardenable) stainless steels are really semi stainless, but they hold a good edge.
300 series stainlesses like 18-8 (18% Chrome/8% Nickel) are highly resistant to corrosion, exhibit little Ferro-magnetism (attraction to a magnet), and cannot be hardened. Carpenter 20 (320 SS) is so resistant to corrosion that it is used to make the chambers in which Sulfuric Acid is made.
400 series stainlesses like 440-C (16% Chrome/0% Nickel) are subject to surface rust, stick to a magnet, and can be hardened. Because of the extensive use of electro-magnetic induction cook tops in countries with high energy costs, premium pots and pans are made in 3 layers.
The bottom of the pan is made of 400 series SS so it can be excited by the E/M coil. The middle layer is Copper or Aluminum to spread the heat uniformly. The inside of the pan is made of 300 series SS so it won’t react with foods (especially acid foods).
In conclusion, keep your 420HC away from hot tomato sauce (or rinse thoroughly).

Reactions: plb
I thought it was from tumbling but wasn't sure. I really like the look of it, it's a nice feature.

Reactions: plb
Older methods of bulk finishing included open barrels (like cement mixers) and closed barrels (like rock polishers). The media included abrasive mud, ceramic infused plastic pieces, and/or hardened, shaped steel shot. By using various combinations of media, you could dial up any degree of surface finish. This is where tumbling got its name.
More recent equipment includes open top toroidal vibratory machines which are faster and easier to load and unload. These let you check the work while the machine is running. The blades on Swiss Army Knives are taken to a mirror finish on such equipment.
The media come in many sizes, shapes, and grits. The polishing is done with hardened steel shapes with liquid and fine abrasive powder thrown in. Not unlike making ball bearings.
Generally speaking, a more polished surface will lessen corrosion on both Carbon steel and stainless steel surfaces.

In conclusion, keep your 420HC away from hot tomato sauce (or rinse thoroughly).
You know that's just going to make me want to patina it :)

Are we talking just pitting :(
Or darkening like M4 . . . or . . . just what is happening here ?

When I see rust on cutlery steel, it’s usually small spots of surface rust which can easily be wiped off. I have never tried to put a patina on stainless.

After a 2 dot small rivet 110 and inverted 3 line 120 showed up in the mail today, I told my wife I’m done for a while. A new 110Lt may make a liar out of me
It is embarrassing how enjoyable it is for the price.
Kind of like when I pull my SAK Explorer out of the pouch, use it and when I close it there is that talk like none of my other knives (the sound of quality). I don't think I have ever even oiled it.

I don't know, but it's probably "very rare" and desirable according to some eBay Seller!

The new pouch for the 110 LT has drawn some flack for being cheep or a short cut.
At first I didn't really look at it and just planned on carrying the LT in my pocket because it is so light or using my old Buck leather 110 pouch but recently, since I was going to be carrying a smaller knife in my pocket and wanted the 110 LT with me as well I looked over the new LT sheath / pouch to see if I wanted it on my belt for the LT and it looks good to me.

Decent stitching, heat fused at one point to lock the stitching (I assume) and make a secure/durable finish for the ends of the edge banding that covers and finishes the edges all around the pouch.
One can put the pouch on a belt or on shoulder strap because it has two loops just for a vertical strap.
This seems to be a quality pouch and well thought out.

I carried it on my belt today and it was great. Not as easy to just drop the knife into as the old one but it won't be flopping around on my belt; it rides flat and close on the belt.

It is embarrassing how enjoyable it is for the price.
I've used it enough at work that the edge should be deteriorating (dulling and rolling) to the point I should be loosing control of the cut on the hard rubber products . . .
. . . not so far . . . ? ? ? . . . ! ! ! . . . it keeps cutting well.
it's "just" 420HC . . . how can this be ?
I literally have not touched the edge with any kind of touch up at all. I haven't stropped it on my pants . . .
It's kind of miraculous. I must be hallucinating. Maybe the steel is radioactive and it is effecting my perception.
or
it's a decent knife . . . better than decent.

I've used it enough at work that the edge should be deteriorating (dulling and rolling) to the point I should be loosing control of the cut on the hard rubber products . . .
. . . not so far . . . ? ? ? . . . ! ! ! . . . it keeps cutting well.
it's "just" 420HC . . . how can this be ?
I literally have not touched the edge with any kind of touch up at all. I haven't stropped it on my pants . . .
It's kind of miraculous. I must be hallucinating. Maybe the steel is radioactive and it is effecting my perception.
or
it's a decent knife . . . better than decent.
Same experience here.

Zieg

Somehow W & W got some in, and I snapped one up. I've been waiting for this since maybe the 80's. What a fantastic knife. Thanks, Buck! I now very eagerly await the 112 LT.

Jazzz..Mr Hubbard said it would be a summer release. I too am waiting for the 112LT and I think it's going to be a big seller for Buck. I'm hoping there will be advertising and different emblems molded in the handles.

Jazzz..Mr Hubbard said it would be a summer release. I too am waiting for the 112LT and I think it's going to be a big seller for Buck. I'm hoping there will be advertising and different emblems molded in the handles.

It's going to be a really nice one. I'm loving the feel of the FRN, the rounded edges, and the checkering.

Back