New car / automobile buying & leasing tips for CPK'ers

Think we are going to pull the trigger on a 2023 ascent. Just waiting for a VIP coupon to come in.

That is a great family crossover SUV specially if you have young children. I have had many, many cars in my lifetime but in this day and age, I'd loathe being a 30/40 something with growing boys who are into dirt biking, off-roading, etc... Then, I'd be looking at 70K+ truck! Yikes! Getting older and moocher with an emptied out nest, has quite a few perks ;)

Since it was Nathan's official BD yesterday (Lest I forget the other 2 twins: Jonathan & Martin) I gave myself a little present to remember Nathan's BD from here on out. Nothing fancy, just a 2022 Tacoma 4x4 Trail Edition with locking diff. No fancy technology stuff, CRAWL, multi-surface 4WD features, leather, moonroof, yada, yada... Just going to add a color matched camper-shell with roof racks, throw the dog in and go cruise, camp and live one of these moons. The Tundra was killing me on gas so it will likely go to a new home in a few weeks. The more that I pondered about EVs, the more I was convinced to wait out for Toyota on that technology. It will cost a pretty penny, but then again: T O Y O T A, nuff said!

View attachment 1907038
Great looking rig. Congratulations. I love the color and the wheels plus the locking diff is awesome. I got a matching Leer top on my new Chevy and it’s nice and locks and unlocks with my doors which is cool. But they used some clay stuff as a seal between the bed and top. This stuff is no good. After bouncing up my dirt road mountain once it was leaking. I returned to the installer to have it resealed. Same thing again. I have a similar top on my Dodge that is a 2006 and it is sealed with foam and is still a better seal after 17 years. I don’t know if it’s just my local installer(the only one within 1.5 drive radius) or what but my advice is beware of the clay type seal. Good luck with it.

Those are modeled after the TRD-Pro wheel and TBT, that was the bait for me. I dunno if they are the same as the TRD-Pro with the Toyota center caps instead of the TRD center caps or a cheaper version of the Pro wheels (I haven't looked at the specs but the Pro rims were a bit lighter and a bit narrower than the TRD-Offroad rims) You ought to try to stick with the 16" that came with your truck because believe it or not you save some $ on the 16" tires, not much, but still something... Once these factory GoodYear Wranglers wear down, I'm planning on getting a the 10 ply BFG-KO2 in the same size: 265/70/16s... Just be careful that there are Chinese knockoffs which you won't want in case you scour Craigslist. Sometimes Toyota puts those style wheels on sale, so look out for those when they go on sale and be patient ;)
Just keep an eye on dealership sites or can you buy them directly from Toyota?

Just keep an eye on dealership sites or can you buy them directly from Toyota?

For genuine accessories you will have to go through their dealers. Some of those dealers sell online, eBay and Amazon because they are independently owned but Toyota as in factory / corporate doesn’t sell their own accessories directly to end users.

That is a great family crossover SUV specially if you have young children. I have had many, many cars in my lifetime but in this day and age, I'd loathe being a 30/40 something with growing boys who are into dirt biking, off-roading, etc... Then, I'd be looking at 70K+ truck! Yikes! Getting older and moocher with an emptied out nest, has quite a few perks ;)
Yeah we have an explorer that was supposed to last us at least 5 more years, but the transmission keeps breaking and it's out of warranty next year. Ford doesn't seem to want to replace the transmission like the dealer has requested 3 times. They also don't seem keen on helping us get into a new one. We have an almost preschooler, my mom, and a dog. Might look at a Ridgeline whenever the next gen comes out just to toss stuff in the back.

Last edited:
^ I really like Subarus and I am an advocate. In fact as of very recently I was seriously considering one of those Wilderness models for myself but ultimately decided that it wasn't for me primarily because I felt that I was a bit too old for that model (like had mentioned before, these days I'm just that older guy with his dog truck type!). Subaru parts prices, for Japanese made cars, are still pretty reasonable as compared to their peers and Subarus have avid followers and dedicated customers. I honestly don't know how their long term longevity shapes up in the fast evolving automobile market and EV technology. Subaru is bit of an odd duck which marches to its own beat!

^ I really like Subarus and I am an advocate. In fact as of very recently I was seriously considering one of those Wilderness models for myself but ultimately decided that it wasn't for me primarily because I felt that I was a bit too old for that model (like had mentioned before, these days I'm just that older guy with his dog truck type!). Subaru parts prices, for Japanese made cars, are still pretty reasonable as compared to their peers and Subarus have avid followers and dedicated customers. I honestly don't know how their long term longevity shapes up in the fast evolving automobile market and EV technology. Subaru is bit of an odd duck which marches to its own beat!
I think they will be getting EV and hybrid tech from Toyota. We drive to our cabin pretty frequently and there aren't paved roads and sometimes we drive through a river or up old fire and logging trails so we would definitely take advantage of the wilderness model.

My wife’s ‘13 Subaru Forester is theee biggest headache and piece of shit car I’ve ever experienced. I’ve been advocating for her to make it tempting for someone to steal and total it since it’s worth more in insurance than trade in. After she bought it (used in 2018) I’ve been trying to get her to take it back. She wouldn’t, so she’s out a lot of money and has had to fix more on the car than it’s worth and the millisecond something gets fixed, something else shits the bed, like the timing chain and sensors that just got replaced to the tune of $2500.

Please, if anyone Subaru lover is interested, come to the house and either pay a few thousand for it or throw a Molotov cocktail through the hatch window since she expressed interest in a VW Golf Sport…now is my chance! Get this POS GONE!!

My wife’s ‘13 Subaru Forester is theee biggest headache and piece of shit car I’ve ever experienced. I’ve been advocating for her to make it tempting for someone to steal and total it since it’s worth more in insurance than trade in. After she bought it (used in 2018) I’ve been trying to get her to take it back. She wouldn’t, so she’s out a lot of money and has had to fix more on the car than it’s worth and the millisecond something gets fixed, something else shits the bed, like the timing chain and sensors that just got replaced to the tune of $2500.

Please, if anyone Subaru lover is interested, come to the house and either pay a few thousand for it or throw a Molotov cocktail through the hatch window since she expressed interest in a VW Golf Sport…now is my chance! Get this POS GONE!!
My father has a ‘13 Forrester and it has been shitting the bed the last few years…
I have a ‘13 XV Crosstrek and it has been O-K until recently. Ask my mechanic and he said he sees Subaru as reliable but perhaps they changed where they get their… bearings(?) from because he has recently seen a lot of issues with them…

Subaru turned me off by going all-in on CVT. They look good on paper, but seem to have reliability problems, and can't handle much power. Think I'd buy electric before anything with a CVT.
The CVT takes some getting used to for sure. The lack of gumption of subarus has me iffy on buying another. But.. their price and overall reliability are tough to over come.

The first full day she had the Forester, a truck lost a 2x4 cutoff about 30” long and it one-hopped leaving a shiny new dent in the front of the hood. I joked about it already being cursed and she should return it, HAHA. Holy shit I called it spot on.

Constant check engine light issues due to evil bastard electrical demons, wheel bearings all around, then the rears a second time, the timing chain and two camshaft sensors, it eats those tiny ass brakes and rotors for breakfast (the brake pads on my Harley are bigger!), shifter linkage snapped leaving her stranded, I know I’m forgetting stuff too.

A lot of hassle for a car that was bought 5 years old with 48k on it. She loves those heated seats though!!

The first full day she had the Forester, a truck lost a 2x4 cutoff about 30” long and it one-hopped leaving a shiny new dent in the front of the hood. I joked about it already being cursed and she should return it, HAHA. Holy shit I called it spot on.

Constant check engine light issues due to evil bastard electrical demons, wheel bearings all around, then the rears a second time, the timing chain and two camshaft sensors, it eats those tiny ass brakes and rotors for breakfast (the brake pads on my Harley are bigger!), shifter linkage snapped leaving her stranded, I know I’m forgetting stuff too.

A lot of hassle for a car that was bought 5 years old with 48k on it. She loves those heated seats though!!
We have bought 2 brand new and have not had a problem with either. But constantly have had issues with Ford.

Man that sounds like one hell of a lemon.
I’m really thankful my 2015 Forester has been an amazing car so far but you aren’t joking about them eating brakes. I’m on my 3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors and only have 110,000k on the damn car.

Back