New Design - Fishing knife - needs a name - CONTEST!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Every once in a while I get a wild hair for a new design and I can't get it outta my head...and can't seem to work until I get rid of it. :eek:

So, I was up until 1AM the other night designing and making this new knife pattern - for an upcoming fly-fishing trip I'm making with my brother in September.

I really like how it turned out - what do you guys think?

FishingKnife0624-01.jpg

(this is just the blank - no handles attached yet)

Here is the CAD drawing showing a more complete version of what I have in mind:

FishingKnife1.gif

Specs/Stats:

Overall = 9.5" (same length as my Nessmuk - if you need a reference)
Blade = 5"
Handle = 4.5"

Steel will be 12C27 stainless, 0.100" thick, flat grind with scandi grind on top. ;)

Handle will be 1/4" Orange G10 - for ease of finding!

Here was my objective in creating this design:

I wanted a knife that would be able to handle basic fishing tasks - from cutting bait to cleaning and filleting. So the steel needed to be thin and at least slightly flexible.

But I also wanted some outdoors capabilities to keep it from being too specialized. So, the scandi grind on top will help for making fuzz sticks/traps and the "double grind" will help in penetration (self defense potential too). I wanted thin steel, but not too thin that it would lose utility out in the bush. 0.100" will be 'just right'. ;)

I put thumbgrooves up on top (and a simple guard below) for helping keep the knife in your hand when things get slippery. Also, there will be a lanyard hole at the butt for attaching a safety lanyard.

I'll be sheathing these in Kydex - practical and beach-ready (easy to keep clean).

What do you guys think so far?

Feel free to post comments about the design, etc.

But what I need is a NAME !!

Here's the deal - suggest a name and sometime before Monday I'll go over all the suggestions and pick a winner.

You will get the first one made. :thumbup:
(won't be ready until late August/September...just FYI)

This will not be a large production run....but will be very limited (probably on 5 at first). I don't plan on offering any alternatives to the materials above...just is what it is. Maybe in the future I'll consider it...but for now....got too much on my plate! :eek:

Thanks, guys!

Best of luck.

Dan

Dan that is a sweet looking blade. Very reminiscent of the K-Boar, which begs the question, why not K-Fin?

Nice design. How flexible do you plan to make it?

Names ideas:
Catshark
Bush-sush (bushcraft and sushi ;) ) or K-sush

^K-fin is nice too.

EDIT: Also, according to Urban Dictionary, a sush is:
a women with a fat upper body and skinny bird like legs

... quite like a scandi grind XD

I like the dual grind idea, and the handle color. Seems to be a great design- combination of attractive and practical. Maybe K-Bone or Bonefree.

Nice design. How flexible do you plan to make it?

Not as flexible as a fillet knife....but more than a regular knife. You should be able to bend it lightly and have it spring back. The tip should only deflect 1/8" or so.

Dan

I spent a lot of time fishing in the Gulf of Mexico and that looks nice and sharp like a Barracuda tooth, they can cut a 50 pound Amberjack to shreds before you can get it on the boat. So I suggest BarraKuda spelled with your Logo "K" instead of a "C" or you could shorten it to Kuda if you need something shorter.

By the way very nice design!

Thanks

Last edited:
OK for the name first; take 2. For the double grind...

And for the comments:the top grind will be dangerous when cleaning fish and could be illegal in some jurisdiction. So why not put the second grind near the thumb serration ( for an inch or three) that way you could fillet, reverse and batton or make fuzz sticks!

Just my two cents!

K-Fisher

Fishmaster

Angler

Kanoe (would be perfect on canoe fishing trips)

Last edited:
Narwhal or Swordfish I think....

...although Steel Eel isn't bad :D

My name recommendation is the Esox.

Esox is a genus of freshwater fish, the only living genus in the family Esocidae — the esocids. The type species is E. lucius, the northern pike. The species of this genus are known as pike and pickerel, and in heraldry they are usually called lucy.

The generic name Esox derives from the Greek ίσοξ (a kind of fish).

The English common name "pike" is an apparent shortening of "pike-fish", in reference to its pointed head.

Russian mythology holds that the pike is one of several forms assumed by evil water spirits called vodyanoy, and a ravenous mythical pike is traditionally blamed for decimating the fish population in the Sheksna River.

Russian fairy tales, on the other hand, also tell about an old wise pike that can fulfill wishes of the one who catches it, if its catcher releases it back into its habitat.

Also, I think the fish resembles the knife a bit. ;)
250px-Esox_lucius1.jpg

I like the knife. I agree with isthereanameleft about the top grind. How about making the top a fish scaler of some sort. Kind'a like the ones in SAK.

As for names, because of it's multi-capabilities how about "Amphibian" or "K-Amp".

Piscator (fisherman)

Piscis macto (fish slayer)

Piscis mortum (means dead fish or fish killer)

I like the design. I will take the first slot on the wait list

Dan,

Good looking fillet knife...

How about:

K-Flay (as in to flay a fish)

Kanoe (or Canoe)

Koster Fisherman

Koster Brookie or Cutthroat (maybe a little violent sounding ;) )

I hope you like them..

Keep up the great work,

Joel

It would make a perfect backcountry backpacking and fishing knife. To that end, I think a name should incorporate that sort of lifestyle, like:

Koster Mariner
Koster Buccaneer
Koster Rigger
Koster Land Shark

That looks like a great knife for small fish... Like trout...

Heres a few ideas...

Maybe... "RT" = Rainbow Trout or just the "Rainbow" ...

(I suppose with right handle could mimic rainbow trout colors...)

The "Mayfly" to reference a bug that "fly-fish" like!

"FlyFisher"

DFB = Dan's Fishing Buddy...

Hope you get some great name ideas !

Pete

Dan, Did a lot of fishing when I was stationed in the FL Keys. Like Chris advised the "cuddas" would strip your fish off before he came up to the top. I'd always end up with yellow tail heads-no bodies. How about the K-Cuda fisher. Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back