New Lionsteel knife: M4

Might want to check out Collector Knives.....under 130 for the m4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can obtain 61/62 hrc also without secondary hardness.

The tempering of some steel at high temperature, there is a new carbide precipitation, so better edge holding.

I see that normally this is hardened as any stainless steel negating the potentials of the same.

Last edited:
So, I'm looking at getting one of these, and I love the cocobolo but I'd also like the G10 for practicality. Any know if lionsteel will sell a spare set of scales?

So, I'm looking at getting one of these, and I love the cocobolo but I'd also like the G10 for practicality. Any know if lionsteel will sell a spare set of scales?
I don't know if they sell scales, but I just ordered an M4 in olive wood (the price was right). I have some brown canvas micarta that I may use for some scales.

You can obtain 61/62 hrc also without secondary hardness.

The tempering of some steel at high temperature, there is a new carbide precipitation, so better edge holding.

I see that normally this is hardened as any stainless steel negating the potentials of the same.

Yes but both of them mention cryo. example: bradford guardian3 "61 Rc. Double Temper and Cryo Treatment"
And looking at the m390 sheet, with cryo the optimal range is 61-62 so i wonder what exact heat treating method lionsteel uses...

I have a few questions about the wood...

What specific wood do they use? Where is it from? Which one is the most robust? What kind of treatment do they use with the wood handles if any? Any information about the wood and the handles you can tell me i would be happy for. It is a tough choice... the G10 being robust but also heavier and doesnt have as much personality...

basically i have the same opinions as super2910

BTW how is it possible that some places sell this knife for a mere 127$ ? how much did they sell it for to the shops? thats amazing

Last edited:
Yes but both of them mention cryo. example: bradford guardian3 "61 Rc. Double Temper and Cryo Treatment"
And looking at the m390 sheet, with cryo the optimal range is 61-62 so i wonder what exact heat treating method lionsteel uses...

You can obtain around 61 hrc with or without cryo.

Heat trating method? :)

I have a few questions about the wood...

What specific wood do they use? Where is it from? Which one is the most robust? What kind of treatment do they use with the wood handles if any? Any information about the wood and the handles you can tell me i would be happy for. It is a tough choice... the G10 being robust but also heavier and doesnt have as much personality...

basically i have the same opinions as super2910

BTW how is it possible that some places sell this knife for a mere 127$ ? how much did they sell it for to the shops? thats amazing

Janka test harness.

This is for olive.
http://www.wood-database.com/olive/

Cocobolo.
http://www.wood-database.com/cocobolo/

Here others.

99e9d7_1a57e443f2ae4a799bc1f8102a97075d.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks! that site is useful, except for the walnut which has too many different types

The temperatures needed for secondary hardening are about 900 F. While another carbide is formed the process reduces corrosion resistance. I'm not sure what happens if you cryo [ -300F then temper at 900 F.] You may lose the benefits of cryo. Cryo itself will increase hardness [1-2 points] and that 390 is tough because of the fine carbides . My own blades like S35VN I have treated only with cryo.

The temperatures needed for secondary hardening are about 900 F. While another carbide is formed the process reduces corrosion resistance. I'm not sure what happens if you cryo [ -300F then temper at 900 F.] You may lose the benefits of cryo. Cryo itself will increase hardness [1-2 points] and that 390 is tough because of the fine carbides . My own blades like S35VN I have treated only with cryo.

And in layman terms simplified? That means 😉

Can anyone tell me where the balance point of this knife is?

On my olive wood model, it's at the very front of the forward screw.
There will be a slight variation, depending on the weight of the scale material that you choose.

On my olive wood model, it's at the very front of the forward screw.
There will be a slight variation, depending on the weight of the scale material that you choose.

Thank you! Yeah i know, it still bothers me that i have to decide between a tough but heavy G10 or a prettier leight weight but fragile wood :)

Back