New Models Since the Show

Fiddleback

Knifemaker
Well I picked up this cool pocketknife at Bladeshow from the fine gentleman at the Boiuvier Maps and Prints table, John Bouvier. We've shared an aisle at the show for several years now and he always brings a few knives which are very interesting. Anyway this was a Cattaraugus FH-3. Its a lockback, but to unlock you depress the 2nd blade, rather than using a button on the spine. The curves of the knive caught my attention and I got back and designed a knife inspired by the folder. Then, when I took my notebook out, I grabbed the old one by accident. As I was flipping to the end, I saw a few designs that we never made that will be forthcoming as well. Anyway this thread is about these two new designs. Let me know what y'all think. The first pic shows the first blade blanks side by side, with a SAK in the pic for size.

IMG_2483-vi.jpg

This is the drawing for the bushcraft knife. Its roughly hiking buddy size.

IMG_2491-vi.jpg

IMG_2487-vi.jpg

The defensive knife was inspired by some of Grace Horn's work. The handle will immitate a womans dress.

IMG_2489-vi.jpg

IMG_2482-vi.jpg

I'll be posting more pics of these as we make them next week here and at instagram and facebook.

THANKS!!!

Mine will be much more subtle than Grace's. And obviously the work she does is beyond my skill. Grace Horn is a hero of mine. And of course, I have a big crush on her.

First off, I will say I really like the idea of fixing pocket knife designs by repairing the crack in the blade... many pocket knives, to me, seem like great designs that have been broken in half.

One of the coolest knives I have had was a "sodbuster jr." revisited as a fixed blade.

One of the challenges in pulling it off is the difference between handmaking a blade and water-jetting a blade. I think it is very difficult to grind out a profile of a knife so thin and small and uniform as many of the traditional patterns, which results in slightly larger and wider blades on the handmade side. So you are making it your own way given the limitations of the method, which I respect.

I am very interested in the non-stabby version of the two above. It is a useful shape that has served humanity for many centuries. Given the size I would say that it is really important you nail the plunge area grind on these to maximize usable blade length.

This might turn out to be the best Fiddleback pocket-style blade for my own style and pattern of use.

What you need next is some banana yellow delrin to slap on there... and some bronze pins... :D

i like both designs. i will be looking to purchase one of the "bushcraft" knives though (as you referred to it). looks like the perfect size for me. and i love the blade shape. good stuff Andy. cheers.

Looks like a winner! I really dig the balance of blade length:handle length. I also like the slimmer blade height. Excellent!

I really like the blade to handle angle which puts the belly of the blade further ahead of the line made with the bottom of the handle tang.

Back