New SRK in SK-5 Steel

Just watched a vid on YT, I think it's from Russia, where a guy tests an AUS-8 vs. a SK-5 Recon Tanto. Unfortunately I don't understand the language. The AUS-8 one in this video seems to be tougher (SK-5 snaps, AUS-8 doesn't) which really surprised me. But the testing was by no means scientific, so I don't know if this proofs anything...besides CS AUS-8 being really tough. In other videos I've seen SK-5 seemed to be a really tough steel. Anybody else seen the vid?...it's only a few hours since it has been uploaded
Just watched another video made by the same guys, this time they tested the Recon Tanto in AUS-8A, San Mai III and VG-1. All three snapped, also the AUS-8A version that didn't snap in the previous test...so the testing method doesn't seem to produce reliable results in terms of toughness comparison between the different steels

Remember too that there are variations in blade thickness between different versions of the SRK, or even time frames. I have 2 in CV and 1 in SK5 and all three are different in weight and thickness. So that aus-8 that didn't break may have been thicker than the one that did. So not necessarily an apples to apples test.

I let a friend use my stripped SK-5 SRK to make s'more sticks last weekend while camping. When I looked at it after I got home, this is what the edge looked like-
esm9bl0.jpg

It looks like he was trying to carve rocks. I'm not blaming CS for this. I have no idea how he did it, but I have seen him do stupid stuff with knives before. The good news is it wasn't too difficult to sharpen out. If it continues to chip out after sharpening out all of the nicks and gouges I'll report back.

Get a chance to use it since this post ? It looked to me like buddy lobbed of branches by chopping on a rock, or rocky soil.

Get a chance to use it since this post ? It looked to me like buddy lobbed of branches by chopping on a rock, or rocky soil.

No, it's sitting in my 4runner waiting to be played with. So many knives, so little time....

I'll give it a workout soon and report back.

Back