Next progect:

I believe its called a "Fawn's Foot"?

rtUxfW9DTTnkAs0DRcRDXR03_An1cJW5zwddBK0Nt3YO_pvW7ROyDZumqaACr6_1_4FSmB-59xJhGaO-6X4KbVyoBYD3_S1FUBNMVAHN3ulJUjPeS7DF2n-o0xSOpkVq1B1expew3URnfSHDUSOaMd_G6vDRYXYcoIiKdC8DEtBha03tWiCERxOURmT1MntDxJVTxyemdVk5gX9l06XHi8VmKeHW9vCUnvxeXBhDWqlPr_GFx2t6tuRMIdUEkxqfyqD57X4ZQbuf74p8JztbwNY33B5i9SvwEpo5Q_eVul3F5GnoDdL8_2PX4OC26LTWe95GoznrKRpW0RXDCNiW17gjzDu5X0SWRoND6TcMIvXs-QFU_a4XHBmX1Nz8z2V1Rywf-nKjRIBgcvMYdWXtbuiNOTvKs0wxUBRtOZkKrNj0TuTJv_PQGD6IMaQlRs14-aENfkBT-d2LDAPhnW-M5J6hEyscSz9pBwv19YJZpRTjwHcDmFYC9B7qD_v9nxTx06HEgldBoXfnE0i8rD8MXAw4NlA0IK36tk3joNydhG5kiO1-Tr9cEgqxV0AV8amGcKVZ6md1uIJ_z4zZB31RR-w0XT7r_pe9265H2gPeUjeZfHMluji7=w1019-h764-no

Going to do a flat grind, not sure about handles yet.

IF these are from your google photos I am not sure what the story is on those - I have had hit and miss luck with those being seen here on the forums.

I think I have all but given up on trying to use google to host any images.

best

mqqn

IF these are from your google photos I am not sure what the story is on those - I have had hit and miss luck with those being seen here on the forums.

I think I have all but given up on trying to use google to host any images.

best

mqqn

Well crud. They are Google. Guess I need to get set up with anther.

But, I got what I got now, so here's last nights work:

J2RTAWrIbPTT_kDsu8ThxBqxngeqcnPkm-kQVtJqbXn1Q6_uC30L_PkJIECT0idQWUGen1kMD0XQztjKXzxzdoRSuj8WsaWI1HABZwmidet_ofluUOvoAmx8gt4GQoeDnAJ6sLuKJQJ-1VkqgUSY0Ab4U4zUC9rTN5xT945O9XlybaUqzducxH_BEKGVpugMVMBn46QjF2rvKJAZZ3vhEU51QY7n_AeB0Ak_B_ocicN-clY4iSXR3p3Acrrl31Ng_De27GvmlUhbkCc5f-Gpl3PEZJA360J6F66J1s_JfLg3Ij27CRxP63FQgkRVBtZyQnBwH9AynYBWWcNpijoqN1SqufgUEV9-zFCTj7pITleJGE8aKC7jXg_EdFjyR7fq2VHhmVhVMJNXIcebztKkLKfYZXEeusVShPpkdB-IvRZ3AzLew978AYKGWGPbSa3GdXivJ4KCUGOPgnPCAQ9_gk5NhidGrhxn1-Yztc2lQ2loSvYRuXjnX6y4HwbwdxoBIrDPzBwygym1JE76iiVSZeIYa550anZKMH93-wLphY84EroxmFBCP5A-_sl3Wx7_f7TdIzb_fz9Z7bdbhTktwFpF_nOQrZ5Xstea7fCSaNat9e4bbX0p=w573-h764-no

Tapered the tang.

I can see the pictures in the latest post - nice look to the knife!

best

mqqn

The basic blade shape is called a drop point hunter. Bob Loveless made them famous. The butt shape is called a dropped butt. I can see why someone would use the name "fawn's foot" but I never heard it called that on a knife before. However, the end of an axe handle is called the fawn's foot.

I can see the pictures in the latest post - nice look to the knife!

best

mqqn

Thanks. Going to do a flat grind this time, since my first attempt at a hollow grind didnt go so well.

The basic blade shape is called a drop point hunter. Bob Loveless made them famous. The butt shape is called a dropped butt. I can see why someone would use the name "fawn's foot" but I never heard it called that on a knife before. However, the end of an axe handle is called the fawn's foot.

Makes sense.

Thanks for the info.

Well... lesson learned.

I was under the impression that the wood had been stabilized. I was wrong.

After shaping up a bit, I started to wet sand. Came back to it the next day to find this heartbreak.

wH6EiAi.jpg

D5zKfmD.jpg

I suck.

Going to drill out the loveless and grind her down again.

Is that cut on the end grain?

Cocobolo does not need stabilizing ... mostly because it can't be stabilized. It has such an oil content that it is good as it is.

I never wet sand any wood on a knife. That is asking for trouble.

End grain looks fantastic, but will eventually crack 90% of the time.

Is that cut on the end grain?

Cocobolo does not need stabilizing ... mostly because it can't be stabilized. It has such an oil content that it is good as it is.

I never wet sand any wood on a knife. That is asking for trouble.

End grain looks fantastic, but will eventually crack 90% of the time.

Well, I kinda thought that on the cocobolo so I wasnt to worried about it. Probably sunk my ship when I wet sanded, but I figured I had dunked it to cool it when I was shaping, so I didnt figure it would be an issue.

I was going for that end grain pattern. It was going to look sharp. Ahh, well. Back to the drawing board.

If I was to give a new person only one tip on handles it would be:
NEVER use end grain on a handle ... it will crack.

That block of wood you started with looks like it would be great for turning on a lathe. Chances of a wax coated block of wood being dry enough to use for a knife handle is very slim.

That block of wood you started with looks like it would be great for turning on a lathe. Chances of a wax coated block of wood being dry enough to use for a knife handle is very slim.

So you're thinking the wood would be too wet and when I cut it, formed it to the knife, it dried and cracked? This would make sense.

Back