Non-metal wedding rings?

Why do you worry about non metal rings when you can easily opt for the one made with diamonds? Frankly speaking, my wife and I do not wear it all the time, but our engagement rings are really close to us. The Aria ring was custom made: http://www.pheradiamonds.com/shop/aria/ and it's been with us for the past couple of years. Would suggest something similar.

I have a tungsten carbide ring I wear. A few tinnyyy scratches on it after wearing it all year. It's awesome.

Why do you worry about non metal rings when you can easily opt for the one made with diamonds? Frankly speaking, my wife and I do not wear it all the time, but our engagement rings are really close to us. The Aria ring was custom made: http://www.pheradiamonds.com/shop/aria/ and it's been with us for the past couple of years. Would suggest something similar.

$10-20 compared to $800-900 would be a good start. You can wear silicone at work and not be afraid of getting your finger tore off or de-gloved would be another reason.

I was on a canoe trip with four other guys this past September and showed them my silicone ring one evening. Each of those guys knew someone who had either lost a finger or who had been de-gloved. I'm still loving this ring. It looks good. I get compliments on it, it's incredibly comfortable (and cheap!)

I bought my wedding ring off of eBay for like $18 shipped. It's satin finished tungsten carbide and in the last couple years I've been wearing it I have yet to scratch it and I do everything with it on. I don't like flashy things and this one is perfect. Just a matte grey color almost like clean raw steel or maybe gun metal finish. I don't even know if I could remove it if I wanted to with the callus that's built up in front of it. From what I've read it's so hard it wont bend it would just break into several pieces but it would definitely deglove your finger I'm sure. I have a friend that was degloved by jumping down off of a scaffold and his finger got caught as he was jumping.

Some of the guys at work wear those silicone bands and like them. I can't say much beyond that.

I've long thought of whittling one from a large peach seed but have just never gotten around to it. Perhaps I will this summer.

As an aside I've worn my wedding ring 365/24/7 for nearly 32 years excepting when I lost one SCUBA diving and once when my wife had the interior engraved for our 30th anniversary. I replaced the one I lost the day I lost it more than 20 years ago. My wedding ban is the only thing I insist goes into the ground with me when I die.

Last edited:
Just as a benchmark, I've worn a plain gold ring for almost 32 years. After a couple of months of wearing any ring, you don't notice it. You will notice any ring you put on your finger for a couple of months, then it's just there and you won't notice it. So get what you want, but IMO you don't have to wear a rubber ring for it to not be noticeable to you on your hand.

I would listen to the grumpy old man;)

Hey BMC, my wife and I got ours tattooed, as non metallic as it gets. Won't break, bend, shock, or ever get lost. She is my wife for life.

I had to look up Qalo rings, new to me. I think I see what you're getting at.

Besides Qalo, there are ceramic rings.

Ceramic-ring-CBCR0248-1-500x500.jpg

There are semi-precious stone rings (this one is jade).

996831_fpx.tif

There are amber rings.

age-of-amber-faceted-solid-slice-geometric-ring%257E112706_089.jpg

I could go on. They all have one thing in common: they are bulkier than metal rings. If you want something you won't notice on your finger, get metal. That's why people began wearing metal five thousand years ago.

This is one I picked for myself.

64_VA006R_100pix.jpg

The inscription "Vous et nul autre" is 15th century French for "You and no other." Original, no? It is a copy of a 15th century poesy ring in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. V&A is the greatest knickknack museum known to me. During the European Renaissance, a poesy ring was a popular cheap gift to someone of romantic interest. Shakespeare thought it was cheap romantic kitsch.

This one made my wife happy, which was its intended purpose. It is sterling silver. If you choose gold, I recommend 14k. 18k is too soft for a ring.

Personally, I like this version better:

Comfort fit gold rings are barely noticeable IMO. My wedding band was a 14kt W/G 6mm comfort fit band by Benchmark. I never noticed it.

Now that I'm divorced, I had it redone for my bday into a Star Wars Empire symbol ring.

I paid $24 for my ceramic/carbon fiber. Still looks great, though I've only had it for a couple years. The resin or whatever they coat the CF with is easy to scratch, but not noticeable without a bunch of light on it.

NXrcLgG.jpg

Back