Noob in distress

You can't go wrong with any thing that Spyderco, Benchmade or ZT offers. All offer excellent products well below your $500 budget. I'd suggest that between $100 & $200 will get a knife that will meet your exact demands.

$500 knives are nice, I have several, but you don't need to spend that much for a quailty knife.

IMG_2310.JPG Another vote for Josh to check out the ZT line up!!
Also, check them out on USAmadeblade's site!! There are a bunch of ZTs that they have beautifully anodized for no extra charge!!
I bought 3....450 in blue, 452cf in bronze and a 562cf in light blue. Excellent service from a great dealer!
I'll tell ya Josh, hit Scott at USAmadeblades up and ask him your questions brother!! Great guy who is a complete knife Knut!!
Good luck!!
Joe
PS....the 452cf is an amazing knife!!

I quite like the Benchmade Proxy as well. I fear Benchmade's less than stellar quality control as of late. I won't buy a knife from them without handling it.

IMG_2399.JPG Just thought of another that fits your wants pretty well Josh.....J Brous Division or Mini Division.
I have the Mini, 3 1/2" blade, and it is one of the best flippers I have ever flipped!!
Joe

If you're willing to try one that isn't a flipper, given that you're specifying hard use as one of your qualifications, I can't recommend the Buck 110/112 highly enough. I have my dad's 40+ year old 112, which he wore, used, and abused every day, and which I've carried every day since he passed. It's had the blade replaced twice. It's been used as a prybar, screwdriver, stake, and even as a knife once or twice. It still locks up like a new knife. Buck's warranty service is outstanding (at least on their US-made knives); both times the blade was replaced, we told them he abused it and would pay for the repairs. They fixed it at no charge anyway.

I'd try to find one of the models with the S30V blade. They're not too common, but you can always order it from their custom shop. On the other hand, while it holds it's edge longer than the 420HC, it's tougher to sharpen, so if you think you'll need to sharpen it often in the field, you might be happier with the 420.

If the speed of deployment bothers you, speed sheaths are available (the knife sits in the sheath partially open, and a pivot pin locks the blade open as you draw it). I got a very high-quality handmade one for around $30 for my dad's knife, and it works great. Faster than any flipper, because the blade is locked open as soon as it clears the sheath. Obviously that doesn't work for pocket carry, though.

My favorite heavy-duty flipper is my Kershaw Rake. Don't know if it's still available or not, but that D2 edge takes a beating, the lock is probably the most solid liner lock I've owned, and it's a good working size (I have big hands too).

Any of the other folders I've owned (though I like them and use them), I wouldn't consider for hard use. They may have finer edges, better steels, smoother actions, or whatever, but those are rarely related to durability. Not that my collection is anything special, though, so I'm sure there are plenty of other good options; those are just the ones I'm familiar with.

I'd second the ZT 562. Very solid, fits the hand very well, and would cost around half your budget. You could maybe then use the other half to get a few sub-$100 knives that seem interesting to you based on some preliminary research. Loads of great options that don't cost anywhere near $200.

Welcome to the sharp thing obsession. :)

View attachment 714220 Another vote for Josh to check out the ZT line up!!
Also, check them out on USAmadeblade's site!! There are a bunch of ZTs that they have beautifully anodized for no extra charge!!
I bought 3....450 in blue, 452cf in bronze and a 562cf in light blue. Excellent service from a great dealer!
I'll tell ya Josh, hit Scott at USAmadeblades up and ask him your questions brother!! Great guy who is a complete knife Knut!!
Good luck!!
Joe
PS....the 452cf is an amazing knife!!

Thanks for the info I am definitely leaning towards Zero Tolerance. I will give scott a shout!!!

If I was to spend 500 on one knife it would be a Ferrum Forge knife if you want a good all around, or if you want a very tough steel, I'd search around for a Calavera Cutlery Jeremy Robertson El Patron. I have found a few of them under 500.
In your situation, just starting out, I would do like others have said and get 500 worth of knives.
If I was to spend 500 on multiple knives I would go...
1 - knife center exclusive Spyderco Manix 2 Cru-Wear/Carbon Fiber folder
2 - Real Steel Sea Eagle
3 - Ontario Rat 1 or 2 folder. Rat 2 if you want a smaller folder
4 - Either a Spartan Blades Pallas or a high end Chinese folder like WE knives, Kizer, Reate, or other
5 - A Well made fixed blade of your choice. There are some great makers here in the knife maker for sale area here, or if you find something else you like.
Or if you don't have a lot left for a decent fixed blade, get something like the Schrade Frontier fixed blade, they have a great 5 and 7 inch model in 1095 that is great for the money.

Overall, keep on reading the forum, learn, and find more and more makers of knives. It is always great to find new knives that are out there that you knew nothing about! Keep on looking around, there are countless great knives out there!

Last edited:
Let's get on with it...

I've always enjoyed knives but apparently I have been sheltered as to what good knives are. Since joining blade forum I have discovered the plethora of knife makers and the overwhelming amount of options that have just left me just dizzy. I AM A PRACTICAL GUY so simple makes since to me (respect auto's but not interested) I want a larger EDC knife and preferably a flipper that is not scared to be used. I will test it and try it so I want it durable. Patience and funds are on my side but I've budgeted 500.00 for my first good EDC. Please offer your recommendations and why you carry what you do? If there are other posts like this please link me to them. I realize everyone's time is valuable so with the utmost respect I welcome direction and correction. Sincerely noob

I use a Spyderco Gayle Bradley because it feels good and does the job. Here is some info from the designer.

I doubt I'll carry another knife for work.

OP:

The worst thing that you can do is to splurge $500 on your fancy new EDC flipper and then come to find out that it has such horrid factory edge grind with obtuse angles which will leave you very disappointed in its cutting abilities as compared to say a $50 knife. You can certainly carry it will full pride of ownership as man jeweler in your pockets and marvel all you want at its fit and finish (F&F) but it still would not cut worth a cr*p.

I have seen models mentioned on here which will leave you with the above stated experiences right out of the box, but nothing that a professional sharpener (plenty avail on this site) can not fix for you for an additional fee. However, depending on a lot of other factors some knife edges will not hold up as well as some others would, so you will have to get into the game of edge maintenance, sharpening, etc on your own which means further investment/ Therefore don't be super shocked if your $500 dabble quickly doubles up to $1000 and then you will be going down that slippery slope. I concur with others who have said that you ought to start with an option in 1/3 or 1/2 of that budget you have in mind, unless you really want a nice piece of knife craft which you will not be needing that much when it comes to use as a pure cutting tool.

P.S. I have not one single name to recommend to you as I personally do not own and have not own any flippers. Flickers I do own, but pure flippers I was never too interested in.

Hey, Josh. Welcome to the forum and addiction to the sharp and pointy. :D

I'd agree that $500 is probably more than a person should spend on one knife until you've figured out your needs and tastes a little better with less expensive knives. I also have big hands (xl glove size), so I know what you mean about a larger knife being more comfortable for you to use. A couple currently in my work rotation to consider:

0529171414~2.jpg

ZT0909 on top and Benchmade 2750 Adamas on bottom. My Adamas is an auto, but there's a manual model (275) as well though it's not a flipper. Both have enough handle to allow me a comfortable and secure grip on them in hard use and I do use the bejeepers out of them. The Adamas does visually appear to be a more robust design, but I haven't exactly broken the 0909 either. The ZT is a better slicer so it gets more pocket time. In fact, I like the 0909 so much that I have the previously mentioned 0452cf on its way from USAMadeBlades to try out. Should be here tomorrow. :thumbsup:

Good luck in your search and keep us updated.

ETA link to a thread I started a while back. It may be useful to you.
http://www.bladeforums.com/threads/zt-0909-or.1457972/

Last edited:
Flipper shmipper.
Get a Cold Steel Voyager in large. Top knife in this photo. Practicality wise you can hardly do better and you will be embarrassed at how little it costs for what you get. I posted this photo so you can compare size to other winners of the knife world. Next knife down is the Buck 110. That one MUST be carried in a belt pouch but the Voyager is a great pocket carry even though it is pretty large.

Not saying you shouldn't get a Chris Reeves but the Voyager is a work horse.

The OP has zero clue what he's looking for TBH...

Good point.

Get an AUS-8 OKC RAT/RAT-2 or a reasonably known low end Kershaw 8Cr13MoV, they are cheap and will learn you (OP) a couple of things:
1. because they are cheap, you can find out what styles you like or prefer
2. because the steel is not hard, you can also learn to sharpen.

P.S. I'm partial to Emersons so if you asked me to recommend a low end Kershaw, I'd recommend a CQC-6K, 4KXL or 8K, eh... roughly in that order.

P.P.S. Ain't nobody ever went wrong buying a cheap as chips RAT! Just saying. :)

Thank you all again so very much. One thing I have taken away from all of you guys is the various knives that all of you like and that as this evolves I will grow into what suits me! I'm definitely gonna trim my budget down to start with and see where it goes from there!

There are a few people who sale new knives that they will anodize if its titanium. Usamade is one, jdcuery and also look up fanatic_edge on instagram. I would get 2 nice knives in different styles that you liked. I'm a zt fan but plenty of nice companies out there all ready mentioned.

Lots of good ideas above. If you want to go all-in on one knife, the Olamic 247 seems like it might fit the bill, as recommended by Strategy09. Sadly, I can't base this on first hand experience :(.

If you want to break it up, I agree ZT is a great choice for a full size flipper (0562, 0452, 0801, or maybe 0920) and with what's left over you can grab a Slysz Bowie to bring you up to $500 and add some non-flippeer variability. That's what I would do.

For my personal taste, I find the best point on the quality to price curve around $200, give or take $50. My personal favorite in this area is the Spyderco Southard.

Last edited:
Josh:

Happy Memorial Day & welcome to BF's. :thumbsup:

As many here have already stated, I would look into getting a ZT flipper (0562 CF would be my recommendation). More expensive, doesn't always equate to better quality.

If you really want to splurge, try picking up a ZT 0392 L.E. model, or perhaps a Olamic Wayfarer 247, here on the forum.

You should also give the Spyderco Ti Military, some consideration. This is IMO, one of the best slicer's and bang for the buck knives, out there!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

After having thought about it for a few hours (and reading some of the later responses), I'm going to go even further against the grain than I did earlier:

If I was going to spend $500 to get into the knife hobby knowing what I know now, I'd buy 3-4 knives in various steels totaling around $200, spend the rest on a quality sharpening system (there are lots of good options), and then (most importantly) spend the time it takes to learn how to use it properly.

No matter how good a factory edge is, you'll need to sharpen it eventually. You don't want to use a $500 knife as your practice mule while you learn how to put a really good edge on. Or even a $200 knife.

Buying a good sharpening system from the get-go (read reviews here and elsewhere to help you find a good one) will save you doing what I did and spending a ton on inferior solutions, wondering why I could never get a good edge on my fancy blades...

Back