Noob in distress

I can't recommend the Buck 110/112 highly enough. I have my dad's 40+ year old 112, which he wore, used, and abused every day,

the 110 in my post with the Voyager I have had for 35 years. I have babied it though. It IS a really nice knife.

1E941102-8537-4DB8-B2E4-00D8CD758CCB_zpsir0ey6bc.jpg 17264506_1285227151514463_1007222136123059477_n.jpg
After having thought about it for a few hours (and reading some of the later responses), I'm going to go even further against the grain than I did earlier:

If I was going to spend $500 to get into the knife hobby knowing what I know now, I'd buy 3-4 knives in various steels totaling around $200, spend the rest on a quality sharpening system (there are lots of good options), and then (most importantly) spend the time it takes to learn how to use it properly.

No matter how good a factory edge is, you'll need to sharpen it eventually. You don't want to use a $500 knife as your practice mule while you learn how to put a really good edge on. Or even a $200 knife.

Buying a good sharpening system from the get-go (read reviews here and elsewhere to help you find a good one) will save you doing what I did and spending a ton on inferior solutions, wondering why I could never get a good edge on my fancy blades...

^ Excellent suggestion!

My introduction into this hobby was a very slow and gradual progression. in the beginning, I started with less expensive Spyderco's, then a couple of ZT flipper's, & so on. It was probably a good couple of years before I made my first high dollar acquisition, and then before I even knew it, I was a full blown knife addict...

If you start off in the upper echelon, you'll be missing out on half fun/journey.

Take kemikos' advice! :)

Therefore don't be super shocked if your $500 dabble quickly doubles up to $1000 and then you will be going down that slippery slope.

^ Everyone here already knows, that this is almost certainly, a foregone conclusion! :(

I have not one single name to recommend to you as I personally do not own and have not own any flippers. Flickers I do own, but pure flippers I was never too interested in.

You need to take a drive over the hill, Bro! :D Along with having a bunch of flipper's that you could have a flipping frenzy playing with...I also have 3 surf kayak's just sitting idly by in the garage for the next 3-4 months.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the insight. Maybe I should be a little more specific as well. I have big hands so a bigger knife dimensionally works well for me. I have looked at the zero tolerance and I really like those knives.

Not a flipper but the Spyderco military is a solid (and larger) knife.

I am another that would suggest the Military. I always found that I didn't like the feel of a flipper tab when it is open and functions as finger guard. The military is not a flipper but is about as awesome a slicer and cutter as you can buy. (which is what a knife is supposed to do). It has an awesome handle and is easy to deploy and close with gloves on, so a big handed man would appreciate the ergos and form of the handle.

Why a flipper?
Why a hard use knife?
What do you have now?
What have you used previously?

Sometimes it's tough to know what you want out of a knife (or any product) if your exposure is fairly limited. Everyone thinks they need a hard-use flipper these days because, well, that's the 'in' thing right now. Nothing wrong with that, if that's 'your' thing, but don't buy into it solely because that's what's currently popular.

That being said, I agree with most here - buy a few knives anywhere from $75-$250 and see what you really like. For me, this price range seems to be the sweet spot for real, honest-to-goodness, working knives that will stand up to abuse, but you won't be afraid of beating on if need be. I couldn't imagine spending $500 on an EDC folder (or any knife, for that matter), but some here do, and use and abuse them like a $50 one. Different strokes and all that....

But if you have no experience with better knives, don't jump into the big end of the pool without really knowing what your getting. $500 is an awful lot to spend if it turns into a paperweight.

I agree that I wouldn't spend that much on one knife just yet. Find out what you like first, and work your way up from tjere.
A few good flippers that come to mind:
ZT 0562, 0801, 0452
Spartan Blades Pallas
You can readily find gently used Hinderers on the exchange for 300-400.

(Yet another) vote for Benchmade, Spyderco, and/or Kershaw/Zero Tolerance. Definitely a good place to start if you're looking for a good, solid well-built folder.

Edit: Speaking from first-hand experience, I can also give the Zero Tolerance 0452CF a vote of confidence.

Thank you all for the insight. Maybe I should be a little more specific as well. I have big hands so a bigger knife dimensionally works well for me. I have looked at the zero tolerance and I really like those knives.
Maybe check out the XM-18 or XM-24. There's a ton of different kinds of Hinderer knives, I'm sure one will suit you. Well built with a great reputation. If you want a tough 500 dollar flipper, these are just that.

Again, NOT a flipper, but one of the very best folders available.
Spyderco Slysz Bowie...can find used for about half of your budget.

Flipper shmipper.
Get a Cold Steel Voyager in large. Top knife in this photo. Practicality wise you can hardly do better and you will be embarrassed at how little it costs for what you get. I posted this photo so you can compare size to other winners of the knife world. Next knife down is the Buck 110. That one MUST be carried in a belt pouch but the Voyager is a great pocket carry even though it is pretty large.

Not saying you shouldn't get a Chris Reeves but the Voyager is a work horse.

I'll second this. For the price, i don't think you can beat the voyager in strength and cutting ability. With it's high full flat grind the thing literally cuts like a Spyderco Military, and well the lock is never going to quit. Feels great in hand too during long hard cutting sessions unlike many others. If you're stuck on flippers just be mindful of how so many these days are basically just pocket jewelry. Some work well for EDC but the majority have blades that won't cut worth a dam unless you do some serious steel removal/re-profiling (hinderer) and try get them in hand first so you like the ergo's. A lot of these points aren't important if you don't do much cutting, but obviously i don't know what kind of work you do, if it's a lot then the finer details become very important to you being happy and satisfied with the $$$ you spend.

Thank you for the insight and with that said which direction would you recommend I start with the five 100 EDC knives? All help is appreciated
With that kind of money saved up, I wouldn't limit yourself just to flippers. Get a few different knives with different locking mechanisms and deployment methods and see what you like.
I would suggest trying:
Spyderco Paramilitary 2
Benchmade 940
Hinderer XM-18
LionSteel SR2
From Zero Tolerance, I would suggest looking at the 0566, 0452, and maybe the 0350.

Get 2-4 knives that still keep you under your $500 dollar budget and have some fun.

Last edited:
I am another that would suggest the Military. I always found that I didn't like the feel of a flipper tab when it is open and functions as finger guard. The military is not a flipper but is about as awesome a slicer and cutter as you can buy. (which is what a knife is supposed to do). It has an awesome handle and is easy to deploy and close with gloves on, so a big handed man would appreciate the ergos and form of the handle.

This is why the Domino is great, no tab in the way. Same with the Kizer Velox 2.

Hi! If you are looking for a stout flipper you are going to use and put to work, I also would address you towards ZT products :). I only own two (so far :D) the 0909 and the 0095. They are different and serve different intended uses but I am really happy with both and would surely recommend to someone looking for this type of knives :thumbsup:.

I also tend to agree with members here giving you suggestion to maybe start trying something nice and good but not immediately so expensive like a 500 $ folder, if you’re still in your “exploring phase” :), to realize what works really for you and your type of use. You’ll have time later on for going up there :) or maybe you’ll realize you can be happy with good knives which are not so expensive and you might feel sorry to damage or lose during use.

I totally support also the suggestion given to buy a decent sharpening equipment; I normally consider this as part of my knives purchase. For example, if I buy a “super steel”, I have to consider that I will need a “super” sharpener :p and these normally don’t come “super" cheap :).

Enjoy your quest and have fun! :)

To the OP,

Two questions

What do you forsee your most common use of the knife will be?

Do you have a preference as to where your products are made?

Knowing what you plan to do will allow us to more easily suggest makes/models.

Me personally, I will always buy a USA made blade over a non USA made blade if all other things are equal. If I dont buy American then its usually Japanese or Italian blade before others. Some of the stuff coming out of Taiwan is downright impressive these days, especially for the low price.

If you dont have a preference on country of origin then I would suggest trying some of the Reate or Kizer blades. They seem to be pretty nice for a relatively low cost. They are also trendy, meaning that they are making products that are currently popular with the Knife Knuts like us.

Also the whomever suggested a quality sharpening system was spot on. I would also buy a $30 knife or two to practice on. Sharpening is a skill that takes time to perfect

Get a waved endura and a serrated dragonfly h1 its the ultimate EDC combo IMO. Then with the rest just buying something you like the look and specs of. Its a hobby, theres no right answer.

Lots of great suggestions here. But not all were great for a noob who is still learning what he likes. I would NOT recommend Benchmade, Hinderer, or Strider to a noob. Get something that is a sure thing in regards to quality, bang for your buck and reliability. Go with what so many have advised here and look into ZT knives.

Then branch out from there for your future choices.

I'd buy a $50 knife to start. I bought a Kershaw Skyline, myself - a flipper.

15566814320_984e7382b4_b.jpg

If I were doing it over I'd just get a Delica. The Delica replaced the Skyline, and I still carry it nearly every day.

Last edited:
Back