Not enough love for the Gayle Bradley 2

I'm amazed that there isn't more love for the Spyderco Gayle Bradley 2. I purchased one about a month ago and it is rapidly becoming my favorite knife. I know some people think it was a step backward from the Gayle Bradley 1 but it's an amazing knife.

• The fit and finish on my knife (and most others I've read about) is fantastic.
  • The Blade is a GREAT design with a tip that's pointy enough to be usable but still thick enough to be tough. It's thin behind the edge for great slicing but in M4 it's still tough.
  • The pocket clip is the classic spyderco design but with a much tougher coating (Why isn't this on all of them???)
  • The handle is thin enough to fit well in my pocket but big enough to get a good grip and prevent hot-spots.
  • It's a great looking knife IMO. (Blows my PM2 out of the water in looks and beats it noticeably in slicing.)

There are two negatives in my opinion.
  • The liner lock is a little hard on my thumb. Not a big deal for actual use but it limits the amount of playing with the knife I want to do.
  • The M4 steel is not stainless. It's darkening up slightly with some patina over the course of a month. WAY less than 1095 would have with the same use but still not stainless.

A co-worker of mine has a GB1 so we compared them one day. Both of us were impressed with both knives. Some features of the 1 were better (more belly, hand closer to the cutting edge, beefier) but the 2 had some advantages as well (more edge length, protection from sliding onto the edge, slimmer in pocket).

I'm just really surprised more people don't love the GB2. When picking up a GB2 the last thing I would expect anyone to say is "this knife is flimsy". But, this seems to be a complaint when compared to the 1. I just don't buy that. If you gave me a bunch of material to cut and told me to pick a knife it would be my GB2. It's a great balance between size, strength and cutting ability.

Reactions: vba
I LOVE mine, a lot. Mine is smooth as glass, locks up tight and M4 is the shiz. I will say one more time that I feel that it is the best value in the lineup. It is a ridiculously nice knife for $140 and it would be hard to find a knife that could compare at that price point.

I just don't like frame locks. The GB looks a little beefier to me which I like, but I really like the GB2. In the end it came down the the fact that there are endless aftermarket scales for the PM2. Bought a black DLC coated one and copper scales... it's my dream knife... just bought a satin PM2 that I'm going to put titanium scales on.

This thread needs pics. Make me buy one.
2fWVanl.jpg

He needs a little brother

Last edited:
love mine. only thing i dont like is the lack of thick liners like the first version, which i have and also love.

2 has far better ergos and blade shape imho. just dislike it doesnt have those beefy liners which was the reason i like the first version.

wish a 3 version would come. everything in the 2, but with the thick liners of the 1...perfection.

Also my favorite knife. And as stated, a great bargain for what you get.

I've got a Gayle Bradley (1)...I want to like it; but there are a few features of which I am not a fan. I think i would like the two; but just can't quite justify the purchase.

Love mine too. Like killer said, this is the best bargain in a knife right now. It's a stout blade!

If I were to recommend a knife to someone that only needed one knife for all & everything, I would recommend the GB2 all day long. I havent purchased the 2 because it's too similar to many knives I own. If I didn't already own the GB1, I would have definitely picked one up by now.

I do wish they would pull the plunge line back a bit, away from the heel of the edge by at least 1/8" or 3/16".

I have both and would be hard pressed to say which I like better! I modified the GB2 presentation liner and scale to make more access to the lock bar, and was so happy with the result I did it to the GB as well. These two knives are just simply fantastic. Both are among my all time favorite knives.

If I had to pick one, the GB2 has the edge. I actually sold my GB two weeks ago and the buyer was only so-so about it so he sold it back to me. I am so glad to have my knife back. Selling it was a mistake. But the fact that I was willing to let the GB go tells me I favor the GB2 just a little.

I have both and would be hard pressed to say which I like better! I modified the GB2 presentation liner and scale to make more access to the lock bar, and was so happy with the result I did it to the GB as well. These two knives are just simply fantastic. Both are among my all time favorite knives.

I second this. I modified mine very slightly, grinding the liner down flush with the scale at the liner lock location, and it makes both GBs much easier to open.

I have both, to me GB1 is a work knife, GB2 more of an EDC which could do a lot of work too. They are two totally different knives. When I carry a Spyderco, it's usually the Delica to the office and the GB2 most other places. GB2 is a great all a rounder!!

I agree with most of the OP's statements regarding this design. Why don't I have one? M4. I live and play in a humid environment. My limited experience with M4 (and heck, some stainless stuff too) leaves me far from wanting to carry M4 on a regular basis. Can we get a GB in a stainless?

^^^ I've seen one GB2 that the blade was DLC coated. It was actually very nicely done and that may resolve your concerns. The M4 is really worth trying out, and the GB2 is a great platform to try it on.

^^^ I've seen one GB2 that the blade was DLC coated. It was actually very nicely done and that may resolve your concerns. The M4 is really worth trying out, and the GB2 is a great platform to try it on.
Food for thought. Maybe pick up a second hand one and send it out...

Back