NY Legal Blade Length???

OK. I searched but did not find a post on this to where it deals with NY specifically. I was in a discussion with one of our shooters this week and he told me a State Trooper told him any blade, fixed or folder, longer than 4" is illegal in NY State. I was surpriseed to hear that. I remember a long time ago trying to find the statute in the NY Penal code that listed the acceptable length for a knife. Can anyone provide some insight to this? The following may help some: I am not in NY City, the info would be for non LEO's, and please, show me or direct me to where I can find the answer, ie: code of the NY Penal Law, CPL, etc, or any other laws or ordinances that you know of (firsthand if possible).

Thanks for the help. Stay safe gentlemen and ladies

I Live in Rochester

the only refrence I have been able to find to length is

"...possession of knife 15 to 18 inches long was legally
sufficient to establish prima facie case of carrying
dangerous weapon as felony..." (1963)

I have not been able to find any specific length restrictions in the penal laws.

Any folder 4" or more is illegal in N.Y.C. Thats why a lot of makers make their blade a little under 4".

So, what I am seeing is that there seems to be no limit for blade length in NY State proper, possibly NY City?

I think it's something like this:

4" for harmless looking white guys in blue collar professions.
3" for foreigners.
2" for black men.
1" for white guys in fatigues who don't smile much.

In NYC: depending on Bloomberg's mood at the time. :D :D

Just kidding.

I don't think it's the length so much (although legally important obviously, when you have to appear in court), it's the judgement call of showing the knife in front of malicious do-gooders (the average workplace has more rats than the Witness Protection program). It's the smart thing (in my opinion) to use scissors to cut everyday things, and reserve knives as self-defense tools.

Thank's Slim, knew about it. DD ask for PC and this is what Local LEO would know or not know {mostly not} People should Print out any info they find for thier State/City to give to LEO {which may not care} but will give him pause and call his Super. or DA.

Deadly weapons, dangerous knife, gravity knives give away almost anything. A friend of mine (my main supplier) shop in Queens (Flushing) was raided based on selling of gravity knives. They flick open every Benchmade, Spyderco, custom folders and arrested him.

Ice Berg Army Navy store in china town Manhattan (largest Benchmade dealer in NYC) was also raided in similar fashion. Another good friend (member here and USN) was lucky and not arrested while he was working in that store. He was incharge of knife section but luck was on his side on that day becuse he was on luch when they raided. However, his female co-worker who replace him on his lunch was arrested. Raiding party also tried to flick open all the Benchmade folders and many opened with the flick of the hand.

Just to be safe, I carry small fixed blade (simple blade shape) in my pocket or under the sweater. My small fixed blade are under 3.5" in blade. I still keep the folder for traveling to different states. I can not carry fixed blade in CA but small folders are ok.

In NY and NYC any folder can be a gravity knife in the right hands. What was the result of their arrest? I know of several gun show - flea market arrest in NY that have resulted fines only. In NYC it is actually consumer affairs that first deals with items prohibited for sale. The NYPD has recently started enforceing knife laws at retail outlets. For years you could buy a knife and be arrested a block away from the store for possesion and the store would never be approached for the sale.

The one Flushing (Queens) pleaded and received conviction record. No time served but had to stay three days in jail from initial arrest. I heard Army Navy store case was thrown out but not sure. I will have to ask my buddy.

I would love to know how your other friend did make out? Are they still selling knives?

I think this was already covered, but the law as I understand it is:
Concealed: A single edged blade of less than 4" is legal.
Over 4" and/or double edged is illegial to carry concealed. I don't know about open carry. I'm in upstate, NY

Ice Berg Army Navy store is no longer selling knives. The one in Flushing is still selling but only fixed blades and swards with single edge.

tom19176 said:
I would love to know how your other friend did make out? Are they still selling knives?

clembrewer....only NYC has a size limit ( NYC Admin Code section 1030) which is 4", the rest of NY State Does NOT have a size limit. Read Penal law section 265....NO LIMIT....one case law study shows a judge found a 18" kinfe to be a dangerous weapon, but that was the one and only time it was an issue and this does not set law. I know several officers who heard as a child that "four fingers" was the size limit, and they where never taught that in tha acadamey. It is a Wife tale !!!!

Nimick said:
I Live in Rochester
Don't you ROTTENCHESTER!? :D I'm 12 miles S, that how I refer to it;) :D Good info here, I was looking for some concrete answers to the question asked. I'm thinking of grabbing the supes cqc7. Hell even my bro-in-law who is an RPD cop couldn't give an answer.

I Have Read The Posts, Reviewed The Penal Law, And Have Called My County Pd. I Dont See/ Cant Get A Definitive Answer. Local Pd Suggests That If One Has A Hunting License And Is "hunting" Its Ok To Carry A Fixed Blade Of 7''. Dont Know If This Applies Only During Hunting Season. Police Admit Law Is Confusing. Are There Any Ny State Troopers Or County Police Out There On This Forum Who Can Comment On The Current Protocol With Respect To Carrying - Non Concealed- Something Like An Ontario Marine Combat Knife (7'') While Hiking In Ny State?

You guys should move south to a Free State, where you could legally conceal a 5-incher or chainsaw or anything in between. :thumbup:

best regards

From what i've read in new york laws any size folder is ok as long as its not double edged or considered menacing

Back