Off topic: kind of...Do you have book suggestions?

My father-in-law wants a list of books that he can pick from for my birthday present. Since so many of us here have similar interests, I thought I'd ask you about some of your favorite books. Survival manuals are not high on my list right now as I have about 10 and I just received 2 for Xmas.

Let me know about some of the books that you found to be a good read! Thanks!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

So many books so little space.
smile.gif

1. All of Peter Hathaway Capsticks africa books (african hunting).

2.All of Pat MacManus' books(humorist) I die laughing every time I read them.

3.The Leatherstocking tales (including Last of the Mohicans).

4.Sons of a Trackless Forest - Mark A. Baker (middle ground hunters of French and Indian war and earlier).

5.Into the Mouth of the Cat - possibly the best story of one mans courage.

6.Endurance - the book on the voyage of the Endurance and Ernst Shackleton (the most aptly named book and ship ever, what the human can do and go through)

That should keep ya busy for a bit, if you need more and like SciFi - Try the series of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan 8 books so far and I truly love them.

------------------
Lee

LIfe is too important to be taken seriously. Oscar Wilde

You can't beat the number 1 best seller of
all time--- GOD's WORD (bible)
The left behind series---
Frank Peretti' series---
C. S. lewis----
Man of Steel and Velvet----

------------------
http://www.imt.net/~goshawk
Don't walk in tradition just because it feels good!!!!!
Romans 10:9,10
Hebrews 4:12-16
Psalm 91

Some of my recent, and distant, favorites, in no particular order.

Watership down

Most of Tom Clancy's books (Not the youth or co-authored ones though :p )

One shot, One kill

And another Vietnam Sniper book I can't remember atm...

A good dictionary

A good concordance

Anything (That I can afford) by Jane's

A Chilton's

books of folkstories and native legends

Ray Bradbury ('nuff said)

A subscription to National Geographic

And enough others I less empty space in the room I stuck all my books than in my bedroom...

Stryver

"BlackHawk Down".This is a story of the Mogadishu(sp?) battle with US Delta Force, Rangers, Green Beret,etc. Fierce battle where the downed US helicopter pilot was to be rescued. Two Delta Force Snipers knowingly gave their lives to attempt the rescue and were killed.They were postumously awarded the medal of honor. Great reading.I can't recall the author but if you persuse and have problems I'll find out for you.

Dave

deleted.

[This message has been edited by jrf (edited 12-26-2000).]

A Sporting Chance, by Dan Mannix - it's about "alternative" hunting techniques. Dan tells tales of using a boomerang for ducks, spearfishes for sharks and a toad to catch sparrows.

Interesting read. But probably not in print.

Mike

I just finished "Yak Butter and Black Tea," by Wade Brackenbury. Brackenbury goes to China to do some remote mountain climbing. By chance he meets a French photojournalist who tells him about a remote tribe of people, the Drung, who live in a hidden valley in Tibet. Because China has forbidden access to this area, no westerner has seen the Drung in over 100 years and they have never been photographed. The two set off on a wonderful adventure to find the Drung valley.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

There are some good books in this list ( and The Good book as well), but lately I've become fond of Stephen Ambrose's books. His books D-Day and Citizen Soldiers provides an excellent view of the European theater in WW II. The historical facts are backed up by literally thousands of interviews from troops on both sides. My next book will be Undaunted Courage, his account of Lewis and Clark. Happy reading.

[This message has been edited by Seahawk (edited 01-12-2000).]

My wife happens to be the manager of the local waldenbooks and our personal collection I dare say is well over 1,000 books! If you are looking for fiction, here is a few select titles as well as certain authors that have yet to write anything bad:

"Last of the Breed" - Louis LaMour (sp)
I think this is still in print. An outstanding book with a survival theme. Without going into too much detail, an American test pilot of Sioux ancestry is shot down over Russia, escapes from prison camp and reverts to his ancestors way of life while making his way across Russia and Siberia to escape to Alaska. EXCELLENT book

"Imperfect Strangers" - Stuart Woods
This is an action packed thriller cover to cover. Highly recommended!! Also, anything else by Stuart Woods that you think looks interesting. I have read all of his books and loved every one!

"The Corps Series" - W.E.B. Griffen. Outstanding books! I have also heard good things about his army series (can't remember what it's called) and the Badge of Honor series (police) but haven't read any of them. I think the Corps is up to 7 or 8 now, and they are all good but it is vital that you start at the beginning with book 1. They are about the Marine Corps during WWII, but you do not have to be a history or WWII buff to love them.

Anything by David Baldacci - these include Absolute Power (even if you have seen the movie, you will like it. The movie did not even include the main character from the book!) Total Control, The Winner (outstanding)and a couple of others

Tom Clancy is good sometimes (if you like a lot of wordy jargon). I really liked Without Remorse

Non-fiction:

I second the nomination of Marine Sniper

Into the Wild - John Krakauer. I assume you have already read this one.

Into Thin Air - John Krakauer. If you want a real life story about human survival in THE harshest conditions imaginable, this is the one to get. Best book I have read in the last ten years! If possible, get the audio version. It is read by the author (who was there) and adds a lot to the story!

Andy McNabb (sp?) wrote two books about the SAS. One is called "Bravo Two Zero" and is about the Gulf War (he was captured and became a POW), and I can't remember the name of the other one but it is about his SAS training and life in the SAS in general. These are very good books. Highly recommended.

Well, that should get you started! Believe it or not I had to think long and hard to get the list down this small! There are so many good books out there. If anyone needs suggestions in specific categories, or just general good reads feel free to email me. My wife and I both read anything we can get our hands on and I can probably point you in a few directions!

I believe Andy McNab's second non-fiction book was "Immediate Action." Excellent read.
Nahbi

Another great Krakauer book is "Eiger Dreams," a bunch of separate essays and stroies on life on expeditions...

~B.

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best book of survival stories is Sterling Seagrave, Desperate Journeys, Abandoned Souls: True Stories of Castaways and Other Survivors (Chapters Pub. Ltd., 1998), ISBN: 0395911508. This is the real stuff: ordinary folks like sailors who manage to survive under the most grueling and primitive conditions. You will not stop reading it -- all 586 pages. We privileged people can only hope to match the courage and will of these survivors.

I second the nomination of the Krakauer books "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air." Both were great reads, real page turners. Haven't read "Eiger Dreams" yet but its on my "to buy" list. BTW, if you haven't seen the IMAX film "Everest," go see it. It puts a whole new perspective on "Into Thin Air."

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" which I'm enjoying a lot.

------------------
Megafolder Fans Unite!

Mike Melone

"Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. " Psalm 144:1
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson

"The Year Long Day" A.E. Maxwell and Ivar Ruud

Story of trapping during the totally dark winter 400 miles south of North Pole. Out of print but Amazon got me a copy.

Jimbo

Eiger Dreams is an excellent book, but you have to be into climbing to really enjoy it. That's why I didn't suggest it. Anyone in their right mind would enjoy the other two Krakauer books.
Your right about Immediate Action, earlier I couldn't think of it for the life of me. Thanks.

Plainsman,

You may enjoy “The Hunting Peoples” by Carleton S. Coon. He focuses on commonalties between primitive cultures, rather than a particular culture. In passing, he shows a lot of primitive techniques, but he explores taboos, social organization, rites of passage, and a lot of other interesting subjects also.

I'll be the black sheep and say that one of my favorite books is still " The Art of War",,by Sun Tzu( Thomas Cleary does a fine interpretation)..Its theme of "know your enemy" ,"To win without fighting is best", and " great things are done while they are still small" speaks to the will to survive and proper preparation which can be applied to the mind set of any survival situation including wilderness survival.. Just a classic book overall..worth reading once or 10 times IMHO...Happy birthday big boy! Also like " The Book of 5 Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi and anything by Hemingway (especially " The Old Man and the Sea")..

Thanks for all the input guys! I'll have to look for some of the titles you mentioned!

I do already have some and will agree that they are great books:

One Shot, One Kill
The Last of the Breed
The Art of War
A Sporting Chance-I got it for about $1 at a half price bookstore last year!
biggrin.gif

Capstick's books are fantastic
McManus has one ROTFLMAO!
biggrin.gif
I have two of his books!

Thanks again!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

Back