Official 110 Auto!

We are discussing the new 110 auto. Neither you or your father have seen or handled it yet. Perhaps you don't belong here.

I disagree, oregon. Christian belongs here as much as anyone else. He was polite and just sharing his experience and feelings. I understand the cool factor of an automatic 110, but it's not for me either.

I disagree, oregon. Christian belongs here as much as anyone else. He was polite and just sharing his experience and feelings. I understand the cool factor of an automatic 110, but it's not for me either.

I agree... (that was a little harsh Oregon).

My thoughts are somewhat inline w/ Christian. I think the Auto 110 is more novelty than anything. That doesn't change the fact that I will probably end up buying one though. I mean c'mon... it's a Buck made 110 Auto for cryin' out loud!

I'm fortunate to be a Kentucky resident with a concealed deadly weapon permit so I can carry pretty much anything, even concealed. I recently acquired a Buck 898 and have been carrying it daily for the last week. There are a couple of things I notice about it right away. It's heavy, much heavier than my Marksman or my Vantage Pro, and potentially heavier than the two of them combined. Hands down, my Marksman is faster to deploy considering the Impact has a safety lever to manipulate before pressing the button.

I have never had the need for an auto. The two Microtechs I own were gifts and they've never been out of their boxes for longer than it took to show them off. The 110 auto will be the same for me unfortunately. The 110 is an intimidating blade to many folks because of the blade shape and overall size. The 898 has a useable blade shape, great steel, and is a size that is less intimidating to the "sheep" than a lot of other autos out there.

Even if it cost me $25, I can't imagine sticking a 110 auto in a deer. Blood and sinew are tough on moving parts and I imagine the auto 110 will have a few of those, in places that aren't easily serviced.

That's my $0.02. Don't spend it all in one place.

I agree... (that was a little harsh Oregon).

My thoughts are somewhat inline w/ Christian. I think the Auto 110 is more novelty than anything. That doesn't change the fact that I will probably end up buying one though. I mean c'mon... it's a Buck made 110 Auto for cryin' out loud!

I'm fortunate to be a Kentucky resident with a concealed deadly weapon permit so I can carry pretty much anything, even concealed. I recently acquired a Buck 898 and have been carrying it daily for the last week. There are a couple of things I notice about it right away. It's heavy, much heavier than my Marksman or my Vantage Pro, and potentially heavier than the two of them combined. Hands down, my Marksman is faster to deploy considering the Impact has a safety lever to manipulate before pressing the button.

I have never had the need for an auto. The two Microtechs I own were gifts and they've never been out of their boxes for longer than it took to show them off. The 110 auto will be the same for me unfortunately. The 110 is an intimidating blade to many folks because of the blade shape and overall size. The 898 has a useable blade shape, great steel, and is a size that is less intimidating to the "sheep" than a lot of other autos out there.

Even if it cost me $25, I can't imagine sticking a 110 auto in a deer. Blood and sinew are tough on moving parts and I imagine the auto 110 will have a few of those, in places that aren't easily serviced.

That's my $0.02. Don't spend it all in one place.

Like Trevor's father to him and me to the both of you the challenge is to say something of substance to move the discussion forward with a knife that very little is known about. We don't even have a good photo of it. Give a tiny bit of effort and try to discover something about the new knife for those who care to relish instead of working your cult of drama. Contribute substance my friends.

Is there a collaborator in the design?

Does the blade really have a nail nick?

Is the knife actually double action?

What variations might be planned for the future?

I've been on this forum a long time. Gratefully I was challenged by long-time residents here who have passed on. This forum is the defacto encyclopedia of Buck. Aim high.

I'd want one just because it's an oddity that could quickly become a rarity when discontinued.

I'd get one just to have it.

Just how important is the new 110 auto to Buck's bottom line? Does their future success depend on it? (Article taken from Knife News dated 12-6-2016)

"Yesterday, Buck Knives shared their entire new for 2017 catalog with dealers. Two brand new variants of the classic 110 Folding Hunter are headlining Buck’s 2017 offerings as the company moves to regain market share lost in 2016. Fixed blade and automatic versions of the company’s most famous knife are the cornerstone of a 2017 lineup that includes five new folding knife models, four new fixed blades, and 19 ancillary or specialized products.

2016 was a down year for the 114-year-old company. According to data compiled by SSI Data, which tracks the sales of guns, ammunition, accessories, and knives across multiple channels, Buck saw a 10-20% drop in dollar sales over the last 12-months. The company is betting that recognition of their best selling knife will help turn things around in 2017.

New Versions of the Iconic 110 Folding Hunter
The new for 2017 model 101 (shown below) is a fixed blade version of the iconic 110 Folding Hunter. It retains the California clip point blade and bow-shaped handle of its forbearer, but loses the rear bolster. The classic design, proven materials, and price point should work in its favor even in an increasingly competitive segment of the market.

Buck 101

Automatic conversions of the 110 have been an aftermarket mainstay for years, but now Buck is introducing their own version. These factory automatics are priced about $10 cheaper than popular third-party conversions. Other than the deployment method, all the standard features of the 110 model remain unchanged."

Last edited:
I'm not sure how complex and reliable the mechanism is on these auto 110s, but I hope they don't turn into a warranty nightmare for Buck.

I understand the fascination with the auto knife and I'm guilty of it. The auto has been romanticized and elevated to a "celebrity" status. I have (1) Buck 110 "switch blade".

After I got my auto knife I soon realized that assited knifes, the ones I longed for since childhood, the ones I saw in the movies, were nothing more than a novelty and after playing with mine I soon had buyers remorse.

Maybe the worse part was my dad telling me they were knifes for dummies and show and not understanding what he meant until after I purchased my own.

Truth be told, I'm embarrassed to admit defying my fathers advice is probably the reason why I spent twice the dollars on what I would have on a 110 that had better steel for a button operated 110.

I also read you can't have a knife collection without a switchblade so that's another train of thought. And I also understand collecting so if Buck makes it and you probably need it. (Withought question you need it).

Where I live it's legal to own a auto knife and posses on ones person in ones home. I can't have it on my person outside of my house and I can't transport it it my vehicle. Overall It pretty useless and the cool factor rapidly diminishes.

Thanks for this input. Interesting POV. I am fascinated with the idea of an auto 110, but have considered the buyer's remorse factor. Does your auto 110 function well? Is it not useful to have a one hand opening 110? Not that I can't open my 110s merely by pinching the blade and swinging the handle down on its own weight, but a button opener would be so convenient.

Zieg

Sadly I can't own an auto. But I have the 101 and I love it. I'm a little suprised sales are down. I'll have to buy more. :)

I'm seeing $140ish prices, I love Bucks and have many and carry a 110 on occasion, I may buy one of these once I see how reliable the mechanism is on them..

i am buying one. since i am already a switchblade and auto collector. i expect buck isn't going to let it out the door if it's gonna be a warranty nightmare....but then again. bad things can and do happen. can't wait to get one so i can put it through the paces. be nice if it was double action, but single is fine. especially if it kept the price point lower.

cant wait to see who gets one first and shows us all the details about it. looking forward to that.

I asked Joe to see one and one wasn't available. Sounded like a retailer was going to have them

I pre-ordered mine. I am not a huge auto fan, but can't pass up a Buck factory made auto 110.

I pre-ordered mine. I am not a huge auto fan, but can't pass up a Buck factory made auto 110.

If I may ask, where exactly did you pre-order? If you're feeling real generous I would really like to know what you paid or expect to pay and delivery too.

1st post ever in this forum. I need this knife.

Thanks

FTWTX the pre-order was at Knife Center. I was going to get two for collector purposes but since they are out of state they won't ship without proper LEO paperwork. Order cancelled. They are still listed as pre-order.

I wonder if there will be any blade play on these ? It's something many autos suffer.

There is no need to expect any play in a quality side opening auto. This knife uses the existing lockback which should have as much play as a manual 110. Not many autos with lockbacks though.

Back