Official 2nd Run of the Wilderness & Survival Skills Forum Neck Knife - Sign Up

Count me as interested on a skeleton in 3v , thanks , can pay with paypal anytime , also would consider any backed out on order.

Hi Dan, I want one of the skeleton CPM3V knives.
See you on the yellow,
David Enoch

David - The list already filled up, Bro. I can hold your deposit to guarantee any extras from this run; for the next run; or refund it - let me know.

Count me as interested on a skeleton in 3v , thanks , can pay with paypal anytime , also would consider any backed out on order.

I got you on the list - thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan,

At what hardness are you going to run the 3V and S90V?

A small request... would it be possible to have them convex/zero edged?

I do all my CPM3V at 60 HRc.

My understanding of S90V from reading the charts and speaking to the manufacturer is that it is best at 58/59 HRc. So, that's what I'll shoot for.

I know some makers like to go 61-62 HRc....but I have to question why they would purposely disregard the manufacturers specifications. Yes, you'll get more wear resistance at that hardness, but at a loss of toughness (according to the charts and charpy tests).

I will be doing all of them the same - flat grind with a small microbevel that is *slightly* convex due to power-stropping.

I may consider a scandi-grind run in the future.

Dan

Awesome, can't wait!

Hey Dan, just a thought... how about a few more small runs with different steels in the future, similar to Spyderco's mule team concept? It'd even have the advantage of being a more complete package with handles and sheath included!

Last edited:
Gotta love that flat grind of yours!:thumbup:

Really looking forward to these, Dan.
I do all my CPM3V at 60 HRc.

My understanding of S90V from reading the charts and speaking to the manufacturer is that it is best at 58/59 HRc. So, that's what I'll shoot for.

I know some makers like to go 61-62 HRc....but I have to question why they would purposely disregard the manufacturers specifications. Yes, you'll get more wear resistance at that hardness, but at a loss of toughness (according to the charts and charpy tests).

I will be doing all of them the same - flat grind with a small microbevel that is *slightly* convex due to power-stropping.

I may consider a scandi-grind run in the future.

Dan

bigocean - sounds good to me. Thanks kinda the intention. 20 or 30 at a time, multiple options available.

:thumbup:

Steel got shipped to the waterjet guy yesterday.

Dan

I will be posting progress updates in the 2nd post in this thread - check there before emailing/calling. Thanks! :thumbup:

Dan

Dan, could I please get on the "seconds" list for one of each? Black micarta handle; I'll be ready to PayPal if/when I make the cut!

Thanks!

BK86

Hey dan I haven't held one of these but If I did get a handle I would want it to be pretty thin. What kind of dimensions are we talking with the handle width...

I am using 3/16" thick slabs for everything except the Silver Twill G10 which is 1/8" (plus 0.030" for the liner).

BlackKnight86 - got it...thanks!

Dan

Dan, post NO. 2 is looking great!!! Very cool to see the up to the minute progress reports:thumbup:

Thanks.

Took me a while to figure it out...but seems like the best way to keep track of progress - all in one place - much easier than reading through page after page of posts.

Dan

I agree, excellent idea, now I can just go to post #2 every time I log on and see what's up!:D

Thanks.

Took me a while to figure it out...but seems like the best way to keep track of progress - all in one place - much easier than reading through page after page of posts.

Dan

Hi Dan, Norm Klein here. I would like to order a skeketon S-3V. I will paypal a deposit , but I see the list is closed. Is this correct? Thanks, Norm

Yes - the list is closed. I only have so many pieces available (limited by the steel I already purchased).

I will gladly add you to the Interested List if you like - for any cancellations/extras/etc.

Dan

The blanks have arrived from the waterjet co.

Dan

WOW....drilling S90V SUCKS!!!

2 broken drill bits later.....:mad:

The handle holes have now been drilled. I had no idea S90V would eat up my bits so fast. Lesson learned. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Dan

I now have a new way of processing knife orders. For the most part it is no different than what I already do. There is just one signicificant difference regarding finishing knives. Once your knife is glued-up I send out an email to let you know. When final payment arrives, I finish the knives and then send them. If you need more time for payment, no worries. If you want your knife as soon as possible, just make final payment as soon as possible. I typically will take 1-2 weeks after final payment is arranged to finish up your knife and have it ready to ship.

Updates are posted in the first or second post on the first page.

Here is a link to the new process: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=753240 please take some time to read it.

Thanks!

Dan

Hey Dan,
A quick question about the kydex.....just by eyeballing the photos it looks like you've got eyelets positioned for both large and small Tek-locks with the knife in an upright position. Is that correct?? I was just going over how many Tek-locks I have in the safe and wanted to make sure I don't need to order any more before these are done.

Thanks!

Jonny

Back