Official Monster Nessie List

Hi Dan,

Just thought I'd let you know that I am checking this forum frequently for any updates on the Monsters. Please keep us informed. 3 weeks ago you mentioned something about 2 weeks. Anything further?

JGON

Dan,I sent you a PM quite awhile ago in reference to the 3V/Ironwood MN.You know,the one I PAID FOR 15 MONTHS AGO?

I'd appreciate an answer.

Thanks

I worked on these today. I'm doing the best I can. Thanks for your patience, guys. I know it's been a long time, but these things take time.

Dan

Dan,
I would like a full refund. I asked you (in emails and on the phone) 6 weeks ago and you said you would do it- wasn't done. I emailed you again since and asked, no response. Make it happen, it should be easier than finishing my knife (which you said would be done a year ago).
Thank you-
Jason

I'll take care of it as quickly as possible, Jason.

I will post an update on this knife on Mon/Tue next week. They will be shipping out for heat-treat which takes 2-3 weeks. While they are gone, I will be finishing other knives I am working on so that I can jump on them as soon as they get back. I appreciate you guys being patient for these. I'm not going anywhere and am in this for the long haul. My work only gets better with time. I'm back in the shop full time. Give me a chance to make some progress and show you that I'm back on track with these. That's all I ask.

Dan

When is "as quickly as possible"? Seeing as how you don't answer correspondence when I try to keep it between you and I, I will address it here. It's been over a week now and you haven't answered my requests. Would you consider selling my place on the waiting list so that someone else can buy my reservation? I can't pretend to understand how you can take so much in prepaid money and not have some sitting around to give back when the proper owners of the money are tired of waiting.
-Jason

These knives are worth the wait, y'all. I know it's crazy how long it takes for some customs, but I doubt if any of you are going to be over-run with zombies this weekend because you didn't have your Monster Nessie. I ordered mine a LONG time ago, and a few weeks ago Dan shipped it straight to a sheathmaker for me. It's gonna happen, and if you get antsy and bail now, you are only hurting yourself. There's always somebody ready to take your spot in line! :)

jtvinny - we need to take this to email.

chainring - thanks for the kind words. :thumbup:

I have started grinding the Monster Nessies......don't expect me to be in a good mood for a few days....LOL
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Dan

Dan,Please refund my money ASAP.You asked for two weeks.I gave you three.Are your PM's turn on?

The timing has me mistified. I finally have blanks in stock and am working on these very knives and orders are being cancelled.

I mean I understand the whole waiting forever thing...I did state in the first thread that I would get to these when I get to them...but even so, I do know that a year or more is a long time to wait.

That said, how many other knifemakers' lists out there are well past one year? up to 5, 7 10 years...! Some won't even take custom orders at all. I guess I don't understand why it causes so much anxiety and frustration to wait a little longer. It's not like I've taken the money and disappeared...I'm right here. Even more interesting is the fact that compared to the first Monster Nessie I made, my skill level has more than doubled. Yes, if I made you a Monster Nessie a year ago you'd have had it to play with since then...but if you knew you could get one in a higher performance steel, etc. and just wait a year longer, wouldn't it be worth it?

Well, I'm grateful that I've managed to hold on to a few faithful I guess...

Since I have a dozen blades here headed out for heat-treat that I have literally been burning the tips of my fingers off, cutting off the nerves and cirulation to them and otherwise beating them into the grinder...just for heat-treat prep grinding...

It's comforting to know that at least I'll be able to see a few of these off safely to their new homes.

Since this is my forum, I'm going to politely ask that any further requests for refund, gripes about wait-times, impatience for updates....be checked at the door and handled via email.

I do my best to keep this place very positive-oriented. I don't even post negatively about any of the crap I've had to put up with customers/suppliers/etc...I don't come on here to gripe about my twisted ankle....I don't post about my personal life...I prefer to keep things upbeat and positive. Just like Mama said "If you can't say anything nice...."

JTR357 - I have your emails. I have your PMs. I have it marked as "refund". When I get the money, I will refund it. No-one here has ever been denied a refund. It's just a matter of timing. I don't take deposits and put them in a sack under my pillow. If I need steel for 15 knives, I have to buy enough for 20...if I need handles for 10, I have to buy enough for 15, etc. (how much fun would it be if I bought only *enough* and then had an "oopsie" and couldn't fill an order?) I also buy in larger quantities to get better pricing, meaning I have to buy extra...I have to time things right myself. I use the deposit money to fund the materials. I'm finally at the spot where I can almost stop taking material deposits (things like this will thankfully come to an end).

I am currently working with 6 different dealers on their orders too and have to keep them happy. I sometimes have to fix machines...I clean my shop...I work part-time for 8-9 months out of the year. This isn't a rant as much as it's a reality check for the knifemaking process. Believe me, if there's a better/faster way....I'll find it. I crave efficiency and have made it a big part of my business model. You guys just don't see it because it's "behind the scenes". Maybe one of these days I'll do a nice long write-up. In the meantime, you'll have to take my word for it.

Now...back to knifemaking.

I'll see if I can post some pics tomorrow. Right now I have my leg up and some ice on my ankle. ;)

Dan

edited upon your request,although I couldn't find anything inflammatory,so I just deleted the whole thing.

This is the last I will post in your forum.I will expect my refund by the end of the week.

Thanks

Last edited:
JTR357 - please be respectful in my forum - edit your post, remove the inflammatory accusations and take it to email.

I feel bad that you have become soured on this knife as it is probably the toughest/strongest knife I make.

You're still welcome to post in my forum anytime.

Dan

I still have not seen a response to all of the private requests that I have sent. Please respond. I don't know the quality of your knives, based on responses from those that have received them it is top notch, my only complaint is the communication. I realize that it is something that is very time consuming but it will make you money in the end. Expectation management is another area that we could all use some work in but if you go back through the dates that you promised that these would be ready, well it is misleading to say the least. I have no beef with you, I am very frustrated and have started to make my own knives in the mean time. I look forward to the day that I could choose to buy a knife that is ready for shipment if that's what I want. I don't see that anyone is attacking you it's just that if this is your business currently (schools out) then I think that when pics are promised they need to appear, when you ask someone to email you, you answer it. When you make a promise, you follow through on it (like me mom told me) and if you're off your feet because you ankle's messed up, hit the computer and catch up on your communications.

I wish you the best,
Jason

I'm not sure what more you need, Jason. You have your refund. You got your chance to rant publicly on my forum and try to humiliate and intimidate me. What more can I do for you?

Please don't reply here - take it to email. That way we both can at least try to maintain some dignity/decorum.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I'd be interested in one of these beauties. Send me a PM and let me know which ones (steel and handle variations) are available or if any become available should anyone else bail.

If these are as well made as my Koster Bushcrafter and Bushmaster, they will be awesome.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello Dan,
Sorry to see some folks getting impatient...It happens. you're going to need a real PR guy soon. :D Anyway, I'm hoping their loss is my gain as I would like a monster nessie if you will have any available...? Please let me know. Thanks and try to take it easy - there are lots of haters out there. :)

Back