Old John Primble Knives & Belknap Hardware History

Status
Not open for further replies.
need some help...

what you know about that John Primble Belknap Bone Jack 4953?
Bernard Levine:
"John Primble" was originally the premium private brand of the Louisville, Kentucky, wholesale hardware distributor Belknap Hardware Co.

" other stamps used on the firms knives include J. PRIMBLE BELKNAP GERMANY in about 1955."

Nice Primble ! :thumbsup:☺️

Last edited:
need some help...

what you know about that John Primble Belknap Bone Jack 4953?

View attachment 1752084

View attachment 1752085
Your Primble Jackknife looks a lot like mine (a Boker built variation). OH
Primble-Jack-knife-11-17-2012.jpg

There is more information on Page 1 concerning time periods, contracted makers, etc.

I agree with you Bruce.

and below is a little more info on the company:

Last edited:
Well - you porch gents called me back ! ☺️

You might remember Charlie that I told you at the Rendezvous that I lose interest in knife collecting every so often and normally return to it in good time. 😉

That does not mean I sell my knives, I try to keep them all ! 😂

I have updated the first ten pages of this thread and will be updating it further, as time allows. 😊

This is my Primble collection (or most of it) as it stands in 2022:
View attachment 1751668
View attachment 1751669
It's been hard to find a nice ISW, now I know why! :eek:
Fantastic display, Rob:thumbsup:
Thanks for updating this thread.

I can only imagine the pocket time that old gentleman had!
Yet still amazingly tight and snappy with no blade wobble:thumbsup:

This one may not belong in the discussion. It is a BELKNAP HDWE. & MFG. CO. pocketknife, but nothing on the tang stamp to indicate John Primble and the blade etch (if any was ever there) is long, long gone. Has nicely fitted stag, knarly but not fat - just the way I like it. OH
BELKNAP-HDWE-MFG-CO-1.jpg

BELKNAP-HDWE-MFG-CO-2.jpg

This one may not belong in the discussion. It is a BELKNAP HDWE. & MFG. CO. pocketknife, but nothing on the tang stamp to indicate John Primble and the blade etch (if any was ever there) is long, long gone. Has nicely fitted stag, knarly but not fat - just the way I like it. OH
BELKNAP-HDWE-MFG-CO-1.jpg

BELKNAP-HDWE-MFG-CO-2.jpg
I like it quite a bit as well Bruce. I think it belongs here, any brand that Belknap contracted or sold until they went out in 1968, or Belknap on the tang can be posted here. :thumbsup:😊

Primble was their premium line, but, that stag on your example looks pretty premium to me !

It's been hard to find a nice ISW, now I know why! :eek:
Fantastic display, Rob:thumbsup:
Thanks for updating this thread.
You can blame me, but, not too much now. 😉☺️😇 I haven't bought any additional Primbles for the last 6-7 years. Some of my most valuable ISW's (and priciest) came from a auction of a really large estate auction of all Primble ISW's, back in 2014. In this picture of the sale, I managed to get three of the five pictured, but, lost out on the other two, then got four more that are not pictured. I really wanted that stag jack with the sheepsfoot blade badly - just wasn't meant to be, I reckon. I better leave it at that - don't want to cross the border of BF rules about knife buying. 😊:

Last edited:
You can blame me, but, not too much now. 😉☺️😇 I haven't bought any additional Primbles for the last 6-7 years. Some of my most valuable ISW's (and priciest) came from a auction of a really large estate auction of all Primble ISW's, back in 2014. In this picture of the sale, I managed to get three of the five pictured, but, lost out on the other two, then got four more that are not pictured. I really wanted that stag jack with the sheepsfoot blade badly - just wasn't meant to be, I reckon. I better leave it at that - don't want to cross the border of BF rules about knife buying. 😊:

View attachment 1753294
I see why you wanted the stag sheepsfoot :eek: it's a heartthrob! Beautiful knife!
Coming across a brand focused collection for sale is a great way to bulk up a growing collection :thumbsup:
It just doesn't happen often.

Well - you porch gents called me back ! ☺️

You might remember Charlie that I told you at the Rendezvous that I lose interest in knife collecting every so often and normally return to it in good time. 😉

That does not mean I sell my knives, I try to keep them all ! 😂

I have updated the first ten pages of this thread and will be updating it further, as time allows. 😊

This is my Primble collection (or most of it) as it stands in 2022:
View attachment 1751668
View attachment 1751669
I sure am glad you are back, Rob!! It's nice seeing your great style of photography doing justice to these old knives, too!!

Belknap had quality products. Their kerosene tubular lanterns were made for them by Embury under the Blue Grass label. Embury was the best American lantern company in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back