Old John Primble Knives & Belknap Hardware History

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few I've added in the last couple years, The India Steel Works sheepsfoot jack is hard to find, the picture of the 2 barlows shows 2 different suppliers based on pin placement.

View attachment 2068964View attachment 2068965View attachment 2068966View attachment 2068967

Fine examples Augie ! :thumbsup: 😍
Mr. R. ............ not so much on the Cracker Jacks Barlow. Sorry my friend. 😢🤣
I never got around to trying very hard to find some nice Bluegrass Barlows or other Belknap Brands, but, it wasn't because I didn't like them. When you think about it, the old hardware stores had it made because they could contract with whoever they wanted and they did use a lot of different top notch knife factories.

Primble Primble , or anyone,

This thread is fantastic. I’m used to seeing Primble markings on the main blade. Was Tree Brand commonly used with Boker made Primbles?

View attachment 2095785View attachment 2095786View attachment 2095787View attachment 2095788

No it was not common. First time I have seen that. The star on the back of the tang indicates made by Boker for Belknap. The tang stamp is correct on the blade. I wonder if the etch might be a factory error. 🤔🤔 I do feel your knife is perfectly legit ............. nice find !!! :thumbsup: 😍

Last edited:
No it was not common. First time I have seen that. The star on the back of the tang indicates made by Boker for Belknap. The tang stamp is correct on the blade. I wonder if it might be a factory error. 🤔🤔 I do feel your knife is perfectly legit ............. nice find !!! :thumbsup: 😍
Thank you, Primble. It caught my eye while I was at my local shop today (blades were closed so I didn’t see the marking until further inspection). We speculated what you said, that it may be a factory error (or unique run/parts knife), and I thought to do some reading and ask you/BF when I got home.

Some scratches. Plan all along was to strop and drop in pocket. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Just found this thread while searching for info on my smallest knife for the "Small" thread...

Can't recall exactly how it came to me, but I've had it since the mid '70s.

Blade is marked

John Primble
Belknap
HDW&MFG Co

902 on the other side.

Deep etched:
JOHN PRIMBLE (logo) FINEST STEEL

Tang stamped:
J.Primble
Belknap
GermanyGerman Jack 1.jpgGerman Jack 2.jpgGerman Jack 3.jpg
Handles Are worm-grooved, dark reddish brown!!
Nicely made, snappy; appears unused. Apparently, whoever owned the trademark at the time contracted a German company for this Jack!! Better than average German made knife!!! Just under 3 3/8" long!!
I wonder who and when???
Anyone???

p.s. 4953 stamped on pile side of main blade!

Last edited:
Deep etched:
JOHN PRIMBLE (logo) FINEST STEEL

Tang stamped:
J.Primble
Belknap
GermanyView attachment 2493290View attachment 2493291View attachment 2493292
Handles Are worm-grooved, dark reddish brown!!
Nicely made, snappy; appears unused. Apparently, whoever owned the trademark at the time contracted a German company for this Jack!! Better than average German made knife!!! Just under 3 3/8" long!!
I wonder who and when???
Anyone???

p.s. 4953 stamped on pile side of main blade!

I have three references to the Germany stamped knives and they all agree that those knives were made about 1955.
Belknap Hardware was still in business at the time.
Boker was the usual German contractor.?
I have one in my collection with that stamp and it's an ivory jack ...... very well made too. The blade on mine is stamped. 😊

Last edited:
I have three references to the Germany stamped knives and they all agree that those knives were made about 1955.
Belknap Hardware was still in business at the time.
Boker was the usual German contractor???
I have one in my collection with that stamp and it's an ivory jack ...... very well made too. The blade on mine is stamped. 😊
Thanks for the info, Primble!!! And that is a nice Jack you have!!!
Whoever made the German knives seemed to have done a good job - both high quality!!

Whoever made the German knives seemed to have done a good job - both high quality!!

I agree ! :thumbsup: 😊

I sometimes wonder what kind of knives you would be offering through your Waynorth Cutlery if you could go back in time to the 1920's, 30's, 40's. With all of the cutlery companies wanting your business, you could get just about anything you wanted from about any of the knife companies ...... and of high quality. 🤔🤔🤔🤔

I imagine that it was the same situation for all of the big hardware companies like Belknap, Shapleigh, E.C. Simmons, H.S.&B., etc.

Primble Primble and waynorth waynorth Charlie's Teardrop is a beautiful example and the Ivory Jack too. But do you think it could be earlier than 1955 actually? Just wondering as between 1945-1991 there were two Germanies BRD- West Germany, DDR East Germany and here in Europe at least, products got stamped accordingly, made in W.Germany being a prized item (in the days when Europe still had industries....:rolleyes: )

As the creator of this thread, I have always felt a responsibility to it, hoping that it stayed on track.
I think it has, but, I'm ready to retire it.
The Old Knives thread remains a place where one can post any of your old knives.
Thank you to all who so kindly participated ! :thumbsup: 😊

If any of you find images that might get locked into it, feel free to send me a PM and I'll temporarily re-open it for you to delete any that you may desire.

This thread is now permanently closed.

rain2-gif.2550684

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back