"Old Knives"

This thread moves fast these days! :eek: Some wonderful knives being shown :thumbsup:

Thanks, Lee! Maybe Neal can post the MW Catalog cut here?
We are developing quite a Boys' Knives thread here!!
[quote LongBlade] some of the Boys Knives were not all cheaply made... in fact some of the early knives for boys even had ivory and other fancier handle materials as well as tip bolsters, shields etc...[end quote]
Here is a fancy 3" Jack that appears to qualify!
Boy's knives 2.jpg
Richie Rich's 3" knife, along with his pater's knife (2203) for size.
Washington bolsters, oval shield, peachseed jigged bone, clip and pen.

Super looking knife Charlie :thumbsup: :thumbsup: (actually both knives :)) ... Nothing like a run of Boys Knives for this thread :D ....

Glad you like it (them), Lee!!
Thanks again for that great Knife mag article, and your contributions here!
I am going on vacation soon, or I would start a Boys' knife thread.
Maybe when I come back - - -unless you or Neal . . . . . . . .:cool:

A neat Robeson Scout today:thumbsup: I had never seen this shield before and was captivated with it, the blades and the bone covers. Although there is zero snap in the main blade it and all other blades are solid.

The tang stamp (ROBESON over SHUREDGE over ROCHESTER) on the main puts this circa 1922-1939.

I like the red in the letters
EREbCd.jpg

hRcIbV.jpg

DNNzEz.jpg

SI8rPp.jpg

DlYvx9.jpg

wPyAj9.jpg

The other tang stamps on the other blades,

izXaPt.jpg

OMG Paul that is Stunning- your description over the phone did not hit on just how gorgeous that knife is!!! What Stunning Bone and a real tidy Punch! ......and that Shield!!!! :eek:

Glad you like it (them), Lee!!
Thanks again for that great Knife mag article, and your contributions here!
I am going on vacation soon, or I would start a Boys' knife thread.
Maybe when I come back - - -unless you or Neal . . . . . . . .:cool:

Thanks Charlie - but this is just pure fun and pleasure :D .... Enjoy your vacation and the GEC Rendezvous too!! One year I hope to make it there - Lyle and I talked about it at one time and it sounds like a great time :cool: ...

Here is a Neat old Sheffield ( apologies for the quick Cell- Phone Camera shots :( )
Augie has impressed us greatly with his finds, and I always sit up when our Friend puts his posts in of his latest Finds.

I remember Augie mentioning that he hadn't seen Hafting Marks on the Stag- well i call them Hafting marks but inreality they are coarse File Marks Shaping down the Stag to bring it in.

Still with the story but diverting slightly...
My friend Mr. Hilborn sends me knives- he just doesnt stop! - so I retaliated and sent him some:D in that lot were a couple of Pruners that shared these same "Hafting" Marks...

This knife here is a Saynor, Crookes and Ridal- a Makers Stamp that has Eluded me so far, in Pauls lot there was a real nice Bone Hnadled Saynor with "DEPEND" on the Pile side of the Tang....4
That Saynor of Pauls has those same "Hafting" Marks.....

as does this old Girl, Integral Bolsters which normally indicate an earlier manufacture, Extremely nice Gnarly Stag, a Massively deep and wide Rats tail Bolster, hammered Iron Pins, it has all the "Good stuff".............
Saynor were well established as a Cutler firm in the earlier 1800's, Cooke joined in 1852, in 1876 Ridal joined Saynor and Cooke to become Saynor Cooke & Ridal of which this Knife is, it also sports the "OBTAIN" stamp- Pile side of the Tang.
These Knives werent the Hawksbill we normally would associate the Pruner name to- but almost like an Ettrick on Steroids - an in-between of a Sheepsfoot and a Hawksbill if this makes sense, this Knife has lost it's slight downward tip - be it little loss.....
Im thinking this knife to be pre 1900 by some years...
Note the "Hafting " marks on the sides of the Stag- both sides...
aFzL7gO.jpg

iCi9jrI.jpg

The stamping ( Saynors is lighter on the top of "CROOKES" )
PhZR9X5.jpg

Pile side stamp of Tang "OBTAIN"...
OUGjt0v.jpg

Integral Bolster shot..
uBfQ0vw.jpg

A neat Robeson Scout today:thumbsup: I had never seen this shield before and was captivated with it, the blades and the bone covers. Although there is zero snap in the main blade it and all other blades are solid.

The tang stamp (ROBESON over SHUREDGE over ROCHESTER) on the main puts this circa 1922-1939.

I like the red in the letters
EREbCd.jpg

hRcIbV.jpg

DNNzEz.jpg

SI8rPp.jpg

DlYvx9.jpg

wPyAj9.jpg

The other tang stamps on the other blades,

izXaPt.jpg

Awesome knife Paul!! :thumbsup: ... and that jigged bone is sweet!!!

Now that is a super knife Duncan :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... Saynor Cooke & Ridal were no doubt top of the line when it came to horticultural knives in the 1800s... Nice ;)

Beautiful knife, Duncan! I have seen that coarse filing on the stag on a few knives.
It actually looks nicer than leaving the expanse of white stag that remains from shaping the stag to fit and sanding it.

Beautiful Saynor Duncan, I posted some pics of pages from a Saynor catalogue showing similar knives in the Catalogues and ads sticky a while ago :thumbsup:

Beautiful bone on that Robeson Paul, love that deep craggy jigging and the color.

Duncan, wonderful Saynor, just a great looking vintage knife!

Camillus made great knives in that era, and that's a nice example, John!
Great addition to your collection!

This thread is hopping.
Great knives Paul, Lee,Charlie,and John.

Duncan, it's probably been said before, but I would think those thick hafting lines were left by design as a nonslip feature?

Back