Old Timer 840T does exist

In 2011 Grant Dunn posted a thread asking if the Old Timer 840T is for real, or not... I actually own one. Bought it around 1990.
I have examined the imprinted numbers very carefully (though not needed because they are obvious), and it is definitely an 840T.

I am no collector, and have no knowledge about pocket knives, but I have great eye site and know an 8 from a 3.
I have since done a little research and the 840T does resemble the 340T in style.

That is all I can say. but know that I AM SURE OF THE NUMBER 840T on the blade of my Schrade Old Timer Pocket Knife.
I have a clear pic and will send through an email.

Last edited:
I am sorry. I did not know. Thank you for editing.
Do I have to repost, or does it go back on edited?

Fidget... What was edited? The 84OT is probably like a coin when the die on the stamp got filled, but there was no such pattern made as an 84OT. Probably it is a 34OT with a stamping error. It did not say 84OT on the packaging did it? Same knife as a 34OT right? 3 blade stockman 3 1/4" close length.

Thanks. I'm sure you know a lot more about this than me, but it sure does looks like an 8, or even an S with the hooks fully closed.
I don't recall the packaging, but may be able to find it. Your description is right on...3 1/4" closed 3 bladed stockman.
As for the edit...I'm new to the site and posted something that is for paid subscribers only. I should have read rules better.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks. I'm sure you know a lot more about this than me, but it sure does looks like an 8, or even an S with the hooks fully closed.
I don't recall the packaging, but may be able to find it. Your description is right on...3 1/4" closed 3 bladed stockman.
As for the edit...I'm new to the site and posted something that is for paid subscribers only. I should have read the rules better.
Happy Thanksgiving!

I have often seen 84OTs selling on eBay. A quick look at the photos confirm, that they are 34OTs.
As we get older, and our "eye sight" is not as good as it was; 3s and 8s look much the same.
The "3" on the later model knives, show a very clear number "3".
The earlier knives show a poorly formed "3", with the lower part of the number almost joining - the early "3" and could be mistaken as an "8", very easy.

I also note a deep stamped "3" can almost be closed in, forming what looks like an eight.

The very early knives, have a very small stamping .... Ken.

Last edited:
The earlier knives show a poorly formed "3", with the lower part of the number almost joining - the early "3" and could be mistaken as an "8".
I also note a deep stamped "3" can almost be closed in, forming what looks like an eight.
The very early knives, have a very small stamping .... Ken.

I just looked at seven Schrade Walden small stockman knives, 834s, 34OTs, 895s, 832s, 835Ys, etc., and the stampings were EXTREMELY clear. I have NEVER seen a poorly stamped Schrade Walden knife. In my experience, the more recent the example, the worse the stamp (among other things).

"And lo it came to pass in the latter days that the decree went out to use the stamping dies to their last and reject few knives for weak and broken stamps. And thus it became so."

And yea... in the year of 2004 and in the month of July, there was the gnashing of teeth.

.....and behold...the souls were greatly outnumbered by the number of heels.....all us meek folk had a meeting recently and we've decided we don't really wish to inherit the earth.....Hoo Roo

Fidget, you'll change a lot of minds, including mine, if the packaging says "84OT". :)

This is the stamp that looks like an "84OT" when the stamp is a little deeper. The early and later "3" is formed like a "7" siting on a "reversed C".

The stamp in question is like a "reversed C" siting on a "reversed C"

$_57.JPG

The 3 on this knife can not be mistaken!
$_57.JPG

Last edited:
My grandfather bought me one several years ago, and I still own it. I'm not old and neither is the knife, and the 840T is clearly stamped right next to the USA on the blade. Two blades. One is a funny drop point and the other is a clip point. Both sharpen very easily and stay sharp. I don't know if anybody is still reading this forum, but I have to tell you it's a cool feeling owning a knife that's not supposed to exist. The knife means more to me now than it did before. Thanks guys!

My grandfather bought me one several years ago, and I still own it. I'm not old and neither is the knife, and the 840T is clearly stamped right next to the USA on the blade. Two blades. One is a funny drop point and the other is a clip point. Both sharpen very easily and stay sharp. I don't know if anybody is still reading this forum, but I have to tell you it's a cool feeling owning a knife that's not supposed to exist. The knife means more to me now than it did before. Thanks guys!

When was "several years ago"?

Please post a photo of your "840 T".
If the "8" is clearly stamped, why do you think the "O" [for Old] is a number "0" :confused:
This is a U.S. made "34OT" Old Timer, made by Schrade before 2004.
Note: The 34OT has 3 blades. Your knife, I believe has only 2 blades.
image.php

Last edited:
I've got one in its blister pack that's an 8OTCP(clip point?) its a 3 blade stockman.
Would I be correct in thinking the 3OT is the smaller version?-got one with no tang stamp.

The 8OT is a 4" long knife. The 8OTCP is an 8OT in a Clam Pack.

I'm sorry for getting the small 3OT lock-back mixed up with the other 3OT :foot:
The 3OT below was a smaller version of the 5OT the 55OT and the 5UH and 55UH.

In 2003 Schrade started to produce some 53OTs same size as the 3OT [Green handle - not many of them about]

The Schrade 3OT is 3" long and was made from 1986 to 2004. All of my 3OTs are in Brown Boxes.
909_57322_1459437150_1.JPG

Last edited:
The 3 OT that Ken just mentioned is a tiny run for Sears Craftsman in the 1959/1960 time frame and we will never see one. That is not the knife Meako is talking about. The 3 OT in more common production is a very small bare-head lockback, about three inches closed, which is a miniature version of the 5 OT and the 6 OT. And it also existed in various 'scrimshaw' versions. Forgot about Ken's reference to a 3 OT; it is irrelevant.

This would not be the first time someone misread a tang mark number of an Old Timer, reported it but failed to provide a picture for us to see. I am still looking for a 1520 T.

Back