One strong coffee

The leather which I have is natural color so I decided to try to add some darker natural color. I remembered that I have some coffee which expired long time ago, so I made one really strong coffee and give it a try. The leather was about 12 hours in that coffee. I have finished sheat with coat of olive oil. Next time I will try to add oak leaves and/or onion. Ihave made that Sam Brown rivet back stud, but its base should be wider.
294kv9v.jpg

2a5md1v.jpg

2w1urds.jpg

ngae08.jpg

I used to think it made more sense to just use dye, but I've changed my tune because I love using what's on hand. We go through a great deal of coffee in this house so I'll have to give it a try. The oak leaves sound interesting. Isn't that ( and bark) what they use to tan veg tanned? I wonder if doing this can change the properties of the leather.

Interesting method, and nice work. Thanks for sharing it.

Only difference I noticed is that wrinkles showed after leather was in water for such long time,before that it looked fkat without wrinkles

Only difference I noticed is that wrinkles showed after leather was in water for such long time,before that it looked fkat without wrinkles
I like the wrinkles myself. I like some marks on leather.

You can see the wrinkles on this one.

9Hj5gD7.jpg

I stamp over wrinkles on customer sheaths (or just avoid the piece), but on my own I like character.

I'll try to remember to throw some leather in a bit of coffee tonight. I wonder how American (style) coffee compares to espresso. Gonna have to try both. :)

Does it smell like leather AND coffee now? Two of my favorite smells in the world:)

It would be interesting to make up a big pot of strong coffee and then boil it down to reduce and concentrate it so it's really dark and strong .
Then just treat it like normal dye and daub it on as usual .
The idea of submersing and soaking leather just doesn't feel right to me .
This is a interesting thread , I might have to experiment myself .

Ken

It would be interesting to make up a big pot of strong coffee and then boil it down to reduce and concentrate it so it's really dark and strong .
Then just treat it like normal dye and daub it on as usual .
The idea of submersing and soaking leather just doesn't feel right to me .
This is a interesting thread , I might have to experiment myself .

Ken
Boil down coffee?

For shame.

That's what expensive espresso machines and fancy French presses are for.

Hey y'all have beer. I have snooty coffee. :)

HimRBFF.jpg

Strong San Francisco Bay coffee with a control piece, and submerged piece. Both have surface marks, but no discernable wrinkles per se.

I'll check on it and post results later.

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed. I let it soak for exactly one hour then pulled it, gave it a quick pass under the faucet, then let it dry for a few hours.

LIUEixB.jpg

GsGdTwb.jpg

04Jln8f.jpg

Aside from the mentioned surface marks, this is what I consider very good leather. You can see the wrinkle marks in the second picture.

There also seems to be some pull up. The leather lightens a bit in a stressed (folded) area which is pretty neat.

I'm trying to think of what might be in coffee that could damage the leather, but I'm not an expert. The pull up may be from the oil present in coffee, but that's wild speculation.

The color from my camera (and poor lighting) isn't great, but it's pretty obvious that there is some nice even dyeing going on after an hour.
I'm pretty used to working with this particular leather. I need to make something from the coffee dyed stuff to see if I can detect any perceived issues, but so far I'm liking it.

Strig cut that coffeeied piece in half and show us a pic of the inside. Gonna half to run a K carafe in the Keurig looks like.

Macan I really like the sheath and I find this coffee thing intriguing. I really like the color you achieved and how even the color is throughout the project.

Gotta admit, I'm pretty impressed. I let it soak for exactly one hour then pulled it, gave it a quick pass under the faucet, then let it dry for a few hours.

LIUEixB.jpg

GsGdTwb.jpg

04Jln8f.jpg

Aside from the mentioned surface marks, this is what I consider very good leather. You can see the wrinkle marks in the second picture.

There also seems to be some pull up. The leather lightens a bit in a stressed (folded) area which is pretty neat.

I'm trying to think of what might be in coffee that could damage the leather, but I'm not an expert. The pull up may be from the oil present in coffee, but that's wild speculation.

The color from my camera (and poor lighting) isn't great, but it's pretty obvious that there is some nice even dyeing going on after an hour.
I'm pretty used to working with this particular leather. I need to make something from the coffee dyed stuff to see if I can detect any perceived issues, but so far I'm liking it.

Anthony,
Well if the coffee does that to the leather, just imagine what your insides look like? LOL I can't stand coffee! Maybe A dye is the best use for it? LOL

Anthony,
Well if the coffee does that to the leather, just imagine what your insides look like? LOL I can't stand coffee! Maybe A dye is the best use for it? LOL

Laurence, I am almost of the same opinion as you. By the time I get adding stuff to make it fit to drink I would hardly call it coffee anymore. However, I imagine these are near fighting words for a couple of the guys! ;)

Chris

Anthony,

You take that back right now!

Very cool Anthony! It would smell delicious too. Leather and coffee, mmmm. Have to keep it away from any dogs though....

If I'm totally honest, I didn't start drinking American coffee black until fairly recently. I see it as a sort of grown up beverage like beer. It takes effort (and a buzz) to get over the taste of beer when you first start drinking it. You can buy flavored beer, but there's just something wrong about that. Same with coffee. :)

For the record, I can't detect the smell of coffee on the leather, but maybe I'm not the best judge. I can't smell water either. ;)

If I'm totally honest, I didn't start drinking American coffee black until fairly recently. I see it as a sort of grown up beverage like beer. It takes effort (and a buzz) to get over the taste of beer when you first start drinking it. You can buy flavored beer, but there's just something wrong about that. Same with coffee. :)

For the record, I can't detect the smell of coffee on the leather, but maybe I'm not the best judge. I can't smell water either. ;)

If you are thirsty enough, you can smell water. I just never got the taste for coffee. As kids, my brother and I would be allowed to have"Coffee Milk". 90% milk. I still hated it. LOL

But I do like the color of it as a leather dye.

If you are thirsty enough, you can smell water. I just never got the taste for coffee. As kids, my brother and I would be allowed to have"Coffee Milk". 90% milk. I still hated it. LOL

But I do like the color of it as a leather dye.

Try harder!

Just playin.

Honestly, overindulgence with coffee is not good. Obviously, I guess. I recently turned 40, probably time to think about this crap. :/

Back