One strong coffee

My favorite beverage is WATER, followed by a green tea on cold mornings.
Green tea, hell any tea, is great. We drink plenty here. About the only regular beverage we don't drink is soda, except on a rare occasion.

Wonder what diet soda would do to leather... Might have to pick some up.

Green tea, hell any tea, is great. We drink plenty here. About the only regular beverage we don't drink is soda, except on a rare occasion.

Wonder what diet soda would do to leather... Might have to pick some up.

Any of the soda's will mostly likely eat it within an hour or two. Might be a great way to tenderize leather with a different look?

You can use Pepsi to etch Damascus steel. I learned that from a Syrian knife maker. Go to CVS or another Big Pharmacy. I see those two Liter bottles for .99 cents all the time.

Any of the soda's will mostly likely eat it within an hour or two. Might be a great way to tenderize leather with a different look?

You can use Pepsi to etch Damascus steel. I learned that from a Syrian knife maker. Go to CVS or another Big Pharmacy. I see those two Liter bottles for .99 cents all the time.
Good point, any retained acid could be very bad for steel. Coke has a pH of about 3, coffee about a 5 and water is a 7. I wonder if storage in coffee dyed leather could be bad over the long haul. We already know storage is not ideal in leather (although I believe that is more down to moisture retention), but who knows if it may be a compounding problem.

Maybe I'm over thinking this.

When you mention tea, one now late writer has wrote book called " Landscape painted by the tea", so it would be nice to try to dye leather with that.

cool thread! id tried the coffee years ago, though i didnt get as nice of results as in this thread, maybe i need to try it again
though i did make this lead shot flask 3 years ago and its got a bore butter finish:eek:, i shoot muzzleloaders and bore butter is a general use lube for patches, arbors and what not. figured id try it on my shot flask, its lasted three years knocking around my range bag and around my neck.
you can see from the photo how much it darkened the leather (its sitting on a piece of plain veg tanned)
prolly wouldnt use it on a holster or sheath but its held up well not fallen apart and is decently water proof
thought id share, great thread!
Gene

image_zps3bb8e1a2.jpg

image_zpsef773ce1.jpg

Ivan,
Thanks for sharing. I use to shoot BP back in the 80-90's and had forgotten about bore butter. I used it all the time in my shootin irons and it looks like it would make a great leather preservative and coloring agent.

That is indeed cool. I've wanted to try bp forever. I'm too lazy to figure out what I can shoot nowadays in California because I like "black" rifles, but bp would be easy peasy. Plus I like the loading and cleaning aspects.

I almost demand to wear a coon skin hat though, so I'd have to locate one of those first.

That is indeed cool. I've wanted to try bp forever. I'm too lazy to figure out what I can shoot nowadays in California because I like "black" rifles, but bp would be easy peasy. Plus I like the loading and cleaning aspects.

I almost demand to wear a coon skin hat though, so I'd have to locate one of those first.

You need to learn how to shot a BP rifle first or you could find the coon skin hat in an uncomfortable place from some real mountain man types.:eek:

thanks guys! i actually took some heat for asking around before i did the finish years ago, didnt heed the advice did it anyways:D, so take it for what its worth, dunno that id do a sheath or holster but i used so little BB and this just holds lead so figured no biggie
BP is fun and addictive, forces ya to slow everything down a bit. last year i ran my 1860 army and blazed through just under 90 rounds in 3.5 hours. dirty smokey fun!
Gene

You need to learn how to shot a BP rifle first or you could find the coon skin hat in an uncomfortable place from some real mountain man types.:eek:
Haha I'm not scared. If the tattoos, hair and clothes don't get me in trouble first the hat won't faze em. If nothing else, maybe the big ol' knife on my hip will bridge the gap. :)
thanks guys! i actually took some heat for asking around before i did the finish years ago, didnt heed the advice did it anyways:D, so take it for what its worth, dunno that id do a sheath or holster but i used so little BB and this just holds lead so figured no biggie
BP is fun and addictive, forces ya to slow everything down a bit. last year i ran my 1860 army and blazed through just under 90 rounds in 3.5 hours. dirty smokey fun!
Gene
Sometimes you gotta buck the traditional thinking. ;)

What kinda rifle would you recommend for a first time bp shooter?

Last night my attention was caught concerning leather and coffee.
Leather is certainly not my subject of higher knowledge but there’s not too much that I don’t like about coffee. Would love a coffee colored leather sheath that 100% of the time smelled like coffee.

See below

Back on topic: I read all the back and forth posts about coffee as a dye but didn’t really think that submerging leather in liquid coffee would have overall positive effects. So since I have a couple pieces of identical leather lying around and since I save coffee grounds to put in my compost pile, the lightbulb came on. Last night I put one piece of leather buried in the kitchen coffee grounds compost container (damp environs) and 16 to 18 hours later pulled it out and put it outside to mostly dry off in the sun.

Thought the pics might be of interest. Leather was damp but not near saturated.

Last edited:
Last night my attention was caught concerning leather and coffee.
Leather is certainly not my subject of higher knowledge but there’s not too much that I don’t like about coffee. Would love a coffee colored leather sheath that 100% of the time smelled like coffee.

See below

Back on topic: I read all the back and forth posts about coffee as a dye but didn’t really think that submerging leather in liquid coffee would have overall positive effects. So since I have a couple pieces of identical leather lying around and since I save coffee grounds to put in my compost pile, the lightbulb came on. Last night I put one piece of leather buried in the kitchen coffee grounds compost container (damp environs) and 16 to 18 hours latter pulled it out and put it outside to mostly dry off in the sun.

Thought the pics might be of interest. Leather was damp but not near saturated.

Stacey Apelt over in the Shop Talk area uses coffee bean handles on spoons I believe it was. Maybe you should have a knife made with that type of handle. :D

Chris

Stacey Apelt over in the Shop Talk area uses coffee bean handles on spoons I believe it was. Maybe you should have a knife made with that type of handle. :D

Chris
Chris, can you clarify? I'm envisioning wood stained with coffee, an epoxy/bean handle (not likely if I know Stacy) or any number of other things.

Very cool SS. :)

wouldn't expect much difference between liquid coffee submersion and coffee grounds
the leather usually gets through wet as yer working it or carving/tooling
I tied coffee grounds but I've never had enough to cover it, maybe that's something I need to try
great thread
gene

In fact it is coffee beans enveloped in a resin of some sort. I can't find the thread to link it but I recall him saying that the finished handle did smell of coffee. I can't find a picture of his specifically but here is one similar.
6CT2u4x.jpg

Chris

Cool! I'm surprised because I've talked to Stacy specifically about home made handle materials and he never mentioned that. :)

I'll have to try that. I've made a few blocks of resin laminates, but never tried suspending in resin. Gonna have to think about this.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Salolan

Chris

Chris, can you clarify? I'm envisioning wood stained with coffee, an epoxy/bean handle (not likely if I know Stacy) or any number of other things.

Very cool SS. :)

I think that was said on my behalf because of my love of coffee scent. Maybe a knife impregnated with a coffee smell would be the perfect knife for me. At least that was my interpretation. Yeah! I like it.

Yes, that response was directed towards you Mr Straight.

Anthony, I don't recall him ever saying if he made coffee bean composite or if he sourced it somewhere else for his spoons. I know why you had your assumptions, he doesn't exactly hide his disdain for the home brew carta.

Chris

Back