Osprey K/T Work in Progress/Preview 03/14/17 - 3/22/17

That which you are referring to is a (K) Apache, I haven't started on the scaled down Apache as of yet.

Oh, ok ... that would make the one below it a standard Apache probably. I've been carrying my commando CF Apache K for about 3 days straight now. It gets use frequently through the day and I initially decided to swap my EDC up a size because I anticipate getting a hog one night soon and want to have the Apache K on hand to give that a try.

Dude, it looks like you're missing my S35VN swedged minimal guard Warthog in this batch. ;)

Oh, ok ... that would make the one below it a standard Apache probably. I've been carrying my commando CF Apache K for about 3 days straight now. It gets use frequently through the day and I initially decided to swap my EDC up a size because I anticipate getting a hog one night soon and want to have the Apache K on hand to give that a try.

Dude, it looks like you're missing my S35VN swedged minimal guard Warthog in this batch. ;)

Your are correct Jerry! That great to hear you have been carrying the (K) Apache, if you do get a hog, please take pictures, if they aren't suitable for posting here email them to me please. I am curious to if you intend on cleaning the hog with this Apache and if so may I recommend bring a Raptor in tow. I think you will find it very useful in certain areas of process medium to large game.

I have more S35vn sitting here, I will get-er-done!

Chris, First, What a blast of creative energy! I've been perusing this "image heavy" thread for a couple of days now. Without echoing what everyone else has said, since they said it pretty well, I really appreciate the work and creativity towards all the knives and all the different steels. In particular the kitchen blades because that's the blades I use everyday! I'm looking forward to seeing those come up for sale when they do. Meanwhile I'm still putting the Raptor through it's paces on the cutting board. and beyond the kitchen I'm really taking a liking to it as an EDC.

Thanks Douglas,

I enjoy when these creative spurts of energy hit me, and I am thrilled to be able to have the time to take advantage of it.
I hope to offer a variety of steels in the future as I get more acquainted with them.
The kitchen/Personal Dining knives where a long time coming. I wracked my brain a lot and still have some more to go. I am looking forward to diving deeper into culinary cutlery, I
I am eager to hear you feedback on the Raptor once you have had adequate time to play with it, I like the Raptor as an EDC as well. It has a lot of practical value to it.
I think the old version you have is more suited for EDC, or a dedicated Bird & Trout, I think it lacks a little bit of capabilities in the food prep department when it comes to cutting food and the handle to counter clearance.

That's when I decided to make variation that focused more on the B&T/Food prep side and less a B&T/EDC

I hope you can get your hands on a (K) variant soon, It would be neat to have you compare and contrast them, and get your opinion of the two.

The last weekend I continued my creative streak, but was busy making this batch of knives for you guys too.
I am gearing up for blade show and getting myself organized, purchasing supplies and deciding how many of what to bring. Decisions, decisions!

I am planning on releasing these 6 knives I am finishing up tomorrow Mid-day Wednesday 3/22/17 , Tentatively Between 12-1pm EST

Lots of pictures for you guy's here.

I finished sanding the handles on these today, I will put the final grind on them, finish the guards, sandblast handles, mark, detail and them sharpen them tomorrow.
All of these are 3/32 CPM-154. Three of them are one offs I made to keep things interesting. I may or, may not make these again. I haven't decided yet.
I do like how all of them turned out!

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

To break up the routine and keep things exciting, I decided to make something that brought me a little joy, making this was fun.
I had some thick steel stashed away for when this occasion arises, I took a sharpie and drew a sketch out on the steel, after that I went to town on the grinder work the final shape out as I went. Kyle the new Fiddleback apprentice happen to be at the shop that Friday evening and offered to snap a few pictures while I was profiling for me.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Here is what I ended up with, from conception to steel in less than an hour, now the hard part begins.....

.278" 1095 a 13" Blade 20" overall, at this point it weighs just shy of 3lbs , I am going to aim for a little over 2lbs

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

I took it home that night studied the profile for awhile I have to admit I had fun carrying that thing around. Sunday I decided wanted to make a second one only slightly different.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Here I am laying out my plan of attack laying out roughly where I want everything to be so I can visualize the finished piece before I continue. At this point I slow down and become more deliberate in my execution. I have never made anything this big, so from this point on I am figuring it as I go, applying the skills I already know to a larger more complicated scale.

Hosted on Fotki

Practicing my fullers on something smaller before I go for the big Bowies. Ooops That wasn't supposed to happen, I guess I fullered right through this one.

Hosted on Fotki

The Big Blade Section of Knives in progress.

Hosted on Fotki

These next set of photos are when I had a lot, not all of my stencils laid out trying to decide what, and how much to take to Blade Show.

Hosted on Fotki
Hosted on Fotki

Thanks for looking everyone!
Question and comments welcome!

Last edited:
OMG......I feel the planet beginning to tilt ever so slightly on its axis......Go Big or Go Home !

So much interesting and fresh stuff being worked on. Chris, curious to how you will determine what becomes a regular knife in your line-up and what gets trashed or set aside to be reworked. Is it all based on customer interest or do you have any of the new stuff that you feel strongly enough about the design that you will try to "sell" the model regardless how its introductory sale goes? Good luck with the names ;)

12 - 1 pm? Good timing, the Hawks should be hungry.

My goodness, those are some big blades. Lots of fun and interesting stuff. Can't wait to see how tomorrow unfolds!

Chris,

Great work. Love see this come along.

Thanks Mike! :thumbup:

OMG......I feel the planet beginning to tilt ever so slightly on its axis......Go Big or Go Home !

THAT'S funny! :D

Nice looking batch coming up on Wednesday. Love them tapers and one-offs!

This made me laugh! Thanks Jerry!

So much interesting and fresh stuff being worked on. Chris, curious to how you will determine what becomes a regular knife in your line-up and what gets trashed or set aside to be reworked. Is it all based on customer interest or do you have any of the new stuff that you feel strongly enough about the design that you will try to "sell" the model regardless how its introductory sale goes? Good luck with the names ;)

12 - 1 pm? Good timing, the Hawks should be hungry.

It's a mix of what sells good, customer feedback, what I want to push and promote and what I have in the works and supplies for at that particular time, I do plan out in advance as far as how many knives based on my supply of steel and handle materials. I do try and rotate each model in an out regularly, while introducing new things into the mis on the regular. It is a very fluid and organic process and seems to work for me at the moment.

I feel pretty strong about the EDU, of course I introduced that awhile ago, I want to push more of those, I am really confident in the concept and quality of this design!
I have a few new models in the works I have a feeling will b a regular addition some others may need some minor tweaking.

My goodness, those are some big blades. Lots of fun and interesting stuff. Can't wait to see how tomorrow unfolds!

Thank you! They are big the pictures don't do them justice!

Back