OT: Gear and Tools Used by SURVIVORS!

Snugpak jungle hammock is what I been eyeballing. A war bonnet of course but I'll be in it permanently if momma finds out how much it is. Lol.

Those are all nice. Hennesy Hammocks are supposed to be nice too. I didnt need a bug net that weekend, but I plan on buying one too. ENO makes two different versions of bug net. I havent decided which one to get yet. I plan on doing a kayaking camping trip on the potomac this summer and I will most likely need one

I also have a Marmot Tungsten 2 tent which is really nice, but I dont know if I will ever sleep on the ground again. The only bad thing about the hammock is waking up to take a piss.

I have an eno double nest, some of the best nights have been in that hammock. Also the WORST haha. 40 degrees doesn't seem cold until your in a hammock without the proper set up. Brrrr.

Yea I've heard even warm summer nights can be chilly.

I use a Catoma limbo 2. I love it for $100. Hasn't failed me yet and its not a super bright color. Brown & khaki. And heck the U.S. forestry service used them at one time. (Possibly still today)

Man, I love to lounge in my ENO, but the one night I tried to camp/sleep in it, I gave up after three hours of not being able to get a comfortable position. Worst DA** night I ever had. Ended up bailing and going into the tent with my wife and daughter.

I mostly play on my land. Gather firewood and hunt. Here are a couple important tools for me.
Stihl chainsaws and a UTV to haul wood

One of my bags and some of my equipment. In the bag, a 5.11 Convert18 (great light bag!!), among other things, I have a GSO 7/7 and a 4.1. The other equipment is: a Husqvarna Hatchet, ColdSteel Special Forces shovel, Drake waterproof boonie hat, NWU Digital boonie hat, GSO 10, Black Diamond headlamp, Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Steel 18 oz Water Bottle, Lowa Renegade II and my emergency pack.

Last edited:
I mostly play on my land. Gather firewood and hunt. Here are a couple important tools for me.
Stihl chainsaws and a UTV to haul wood
Livin' the dream, man!! Very cool. Don't take owning that land for granted, I'm glad you enjoy it!

One of my bags and some of my equipment. In the bag, a 5.11 Convert18 (great light bag!!), among other things, I have a GSO 7/7 and a 4.1. The other equipment is: a Husqvarna Hatchet, ColdSteel Special Forces shovel, Drake waterproof boonie hat, NWU Digital boonie hat, GSO 10, Black Diamond headlamp, Hydro Flask Insulated Stainless Steel 18 oz Water Bottle, Lowa Renegade II and my emergency pack.

I LOVE load out pics like this! Is the name of the pack suggestive of an 18 liter capacity? 5.11's site doesn't list total volume. My Condor Compact Assault Pack is 22 liters (I think) and for my purposes I wouldn't mind if it was a little smaller.

Backpacks: I have a too many, but my favorite is an Arc'teryx Khard which I have about half a dozen Velcro pouches for. Totally versatile. Plan on getting another one day, maybe hunting season this fall.

Boots: Salomon Quest 4D GTX. Can't go wrong. There is a new version out which I would like to try.

Fire making stuff: Live fire sport, and most of the time Coghlans storm matches which I like far better than UCO storm matches.

Tomahawks, axes and machetes: Autine. I have not found better than John Neeman, and he is only at Autine. I have a small forest axe he made custom for me. It's an heirloom.

IMG_6495.JPG

Nice bud....!

Livin' the dream, man!! Very cool. Don't take owning that land for granted, I'm glad you enjoy it!

I LOVE load out pics like this! Is the name of the pack suggestive of an 18 liter capacity? 5.11's site doesn't list total volume. My Condor Compact Assault Pack is 22 liters (I think) and for my purposes I wouldn't mind if it was a little smaller.

I am not sure but it's bigger than I thought. It's got about 15 lbs of gear in it and no signs of stress on any of the seams and it's comfortable on my back. I have 2 smaller packs that I use that I'll post tomorrow.

I am not sure but it's bigger than I thought. It's got about 15 lbs of gear in it and no signs of stress on any of the seams and it's comfortable on my back. I have 2 smaller packs that I use that I'll post tomorrow.

Looking forward to it!

Been using this Maxpedition pac as of late. I like the size.

Some water bottle my wife bought me. Surefire light, Colt Delta Elite,Ambush sentry knife.

Last edited:
Nice pack! Is that the falcon..... or pygmy falcon?

I bet you'd love a GSO 3.5 or 2.7 on your pack strap!

I don't remember the model pack offhand. I do have a 3.5 on preorder and would absolutely love a 2.7!

Thanks, OBX! Did you already say which packs you use? Mind listing some of your favorite gear pictured?

How do you like the SOL brand?

Sure the smaller of the two bags is a NcStar Heavy Duty First Responder Utility Backpack Gun Accessory Bag that I got on Amazon for about $30 delivered.
The second bag is a Mil-Spec Monkey Adapt Pack, it's around $120 delivered. I LOVE this bag and I just ordered another one.
Here are some of the common items in both bags:
SureFire G2X Pro Dual Output LED Flashlight
Energizer Carabiner LED Area Tent Light
Light My Fire Swedish FireSteel 2.0 Army
Tin with TinderQuik Mil-Spec Treated Compressed Cotton Firestarting Tabs
mirror
Nite Ize SBO-03-01 S-Biner Ahhh Carabiner Clip Bottle Opener & about 5 or so carabiners of various sizes
Silva Forecaster 610 Compass and Thermometer
Ultimate Survival Technologies JetScream Whistle - it's loud!!
at least 50' of 550 paracord in each bag
UCO Titan Stormproof Match Kit with Waterproof Case
Diamond GreenLightTM Kitchen Matches - strike anywhere
Leatherman WAVE
Olicamp Hard Anodized Space Saver Mug - titanium
S!K Necker II
Silky Saw & Stihl hand saw
Hand and feet warmers
Small Scotch duct tape
Live Fire
FireDisks
bic lighters
camping med kits that I put together, mostly first aid stuff, ointments for burns, rashes and cuts, etc.
UCO Candle Lanterns
Emberlit Stainless Steel Woodburning Stove
SOL - emergency blanket, tarp and bag
microfiber towel/blanket
Titan - emergency blanket
2+ hour glow sticks
Suunto A-10 Compass
Worksharp field sharpener
Outdoor Research Windwarrior Hat
ACU Digital Camouflage Army Boonie Hat
Rothco camo boonie hat
bandanas