OT: Gear and Tools Used by SURVIVORS!

Well do any of yall carry a match case EDC or have any USA made brands to recommend? I'd like to get brass, but am open to all options. I've seen exotacs, but wondering if yall had any firsthand experience with any of them:)

I have one or two exotacs. They're OK. I prefer keeping strike anywhere matches, but the ones I have don't seem to work on the sandpaper bottom. It is so rough, or the matches so poorly made, that it just rips the strike-anywhere part off the head of the match without lighting it. The piece of sandpaper they give you for the regular matches seems to work fine with regular matches, but not so much for strike-anywhere.

I also bought a brass-looking one somewhere, that I basically hate and never take anywhere. It is heavy, and has a button-compass on the cap. However, the compass seems to be about 40 degrees off compared to several other compasses, which I would trust more anyway. So, it is just there for disinformation. I would not recommend that particular match case.

Well do any of yall carry a match case EDC or have any USA made brands to recommend? I'd like to get brass, but am open to all options. I've seen exotacs, but wondering if yall had any firsthand experience with any of them:)

boy do i ever! I have this one, and its pretty nice, though it doesn't easily fit the big fancy emergency matches (length wise)

[video=youtube;V85s3pISxEc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V85s3pISxEc[/video]

I also have the county comm one.

Neither are perfect, but both are nice. If you have specific questions about them let me know!

I prefer keeping strike anywhere matches,
- Me too! I just strike them on a rock. Or if need be on my sharpener.

Exotac MatchCap Survival Match Case - It's not cheap but this along with GreenLight Diamond Strike on Box matches are a great combination. Both made in the US of A!

I have a long brass K@M match case with compass. The long matches from REI fit perfectly inside. It's a nice item but different from most cases. The end is not threaded at all. Instead, it presses in and sealed with two o rings. The lanyard for the cap helps hold it in place by twisting the cord. It works very well. You never have to worry about corroded or seized threads in an emergency. IIRC it came with an extra cord with instruction on how they tie their special loop and two o rings. The husband and wife team are great to talk to and deal with which is why I ordered it. The husband recently had a heart attack so be patient when ordering. If I'm not mistaken they are from Idaho as well.

Yeah I think K&M was the brand I had looked at - they seemed great but I didn't pull the trigger. I'd like to get one like theirs or similar

Yeah I think K&M was the brand I had looked at - they seemed great but I didn't pull the trigger. I'd like to get one like theirs or similar

It has its pluses and minuses. I love that it's made by a small company, and you can occasionally find them in stock elsewhere to avoid the wait. Klutz mentioned the positives of the thread less system, but the down side is that it just doesn't feel as secure. And frankly I would prefer no compass, but I haven't found a nice hand made brass match case that doesn't have one. It is definitely well made though, and I have one in my "fire kit" bag.

That is actually quite nice! I need something better than the cheapy case I have right now. Im worried about my rifle holding zero while in my trunk. Damn eotechs. Too sensitive to bumps.

Is that a Voodoo Tactical pack HD?

Yep, that's the 42" I couldn't fit the R15 in the 36" with the bipod (my coyote calling setup). The 36" is great for an AR with a collapsible stock.

HK said:
I ordered in the 36" and 42" voodoo tactical bags I was looking at. Heck of a nice bag. Can hold two long guns, has two pistol pockets, three large gear pockets, a couple of light duty zipper pockets. Sturdy straps and everything has redundant retention. For example, the exterior gear pockets have snubbers for rattle reduction, and also velcro closure plus belt clip closure that snugs down.

The two smaller exterior gear pockets can hold four 30rd AR mags each, the center pocket is even bigger and rubber-lined. I'm very happy I bought them, I don't see myself tearing them up any time soon like I did the Bulldog case.

I'll add to this info one slight critique, about the only thing I found to pick at: The shoulder straps should be sewn wider at the lower end, the area that comes in toward your waist. I bought this as a GO bag, so that's important to me, but if I were planning only to use it as a range bag it would not bother me at all as it will be plenty comfortable for shorter periods of time. Also, the straps seem very secure, unlike some others I've used. Overall, well worth the money to me, they're about a hundred bucks or so.

If anyone is looking for a great American made pack, check out Hill People Gear.
I have owned the Tarahumara and Umlindi in the past and I would highly recommend them. The shoulder strap on these is enough to make anyone fall in love.
Here is the Tarahumara. It's a great day pack.
151151de529cbf5b1ea0ef7692f34d0f.jpg

ce24d42177dce68533c62e6cd67ea537.jpg

b11db545dd0d4102d9837d59bb8c57aa.jpg

caf8ca923d479b37b1aa3b9ee4474fb1.jpg

The Umlindi is a larger 24+ hour pack with the same shoulder strap system.
044cf053b2051ecd54b2186841cd7e02.jpg

b2c0efad53bd2dfc4efef3a3271bb5f3.jpg

I let this one go because I wasn't a huge fan of top load style packs. They have the Connor pack to fix that issue.

Aw, thanks, big guy. Posting pics is such a pain from my phone. Thanks for going the extra mile.

With the tarahumara how do you like the opening for the main compartment? Is it hard to reach the bottom corners or sides?

I LOVE this size for a pack. Is this more for EDC or wilderness adventures?

It's pretty easy to get to everything on these because it really can't be over packed. I prefer it over the standard clamshell that my Rush 24 has because it's easier access.

Back