Pacific Crest Trail thru-hike this summer

John- you guys are making great progress. 27 mile days- wow! I've done a fair number of 20+ days, with a decent load- no easy feat (for me anyways :))

I know it varies, but how many hours are you "typically" hiking in a day? My wife and I would love to do a through hike- I think we're going to tackle some smaller routes first- thinking about the John Muir Trail for 2012 (most of our trips are already lined out for next year)

River-8 and Kathleen have a SWEET south-facing lot overlooking the Columbia Gorge. Thanks for the hospitality and the Howling Rat loaner! Your fatwood-locating demo was an epiphany as well. I quickly found a bunch of it (only below 2000ft so far) and it has been very useful in this week's rain. I gotta ask: what brand firesteel is the one you loaned me? It really sparks hot!

Look forward to getting together with you guys again!!
Glad to hear your fatwood-fu is strong; that stuff is great in wet conditions.
Not sure where I got that particular firesteel, might have been from a USAF SERE type - they have ALL the cool toys :D:thumbup:

Keep the great reports coming - and have a Great Hike!!!

Stay Safe,

Glad the trip is going well, great photos.

I like Scott's not-wharncliffe a lot.

Happy Anniversary!

Outstanding thread and journey! Thanks for sharing your great adventure with the rest of us bums... :thumbup:

ahh so satisfying to have those pics just keep coming and coming - it had been a while!
Some great ones - love the late season lupine, the huge knife pile and the waterfall trail. I do feel like I'm cheating by peeking at them though.
Will need to get together with you guys in Oct when you're in SCruz.
Enjoy the last 200!!! Hello to swipee of course and her huge pirate shirt:p

just fantastic! so glad you got lost for a few miles and snagged the pic of the waterfall! hey! I saw something about your anniversary-- ours was sept. 13th! 24 years for us. happy anniversary; looks like you know how to celebrate life! what a blast!

can't wait for you guys to finish the trail! Come up to Astoria for A few days and design that knife we talked about

Awesome pictures! Keep 'em coming.

That comment about a knife able to get peanut butter from the bottle of a jar caught my interest. I've never thought of that as a good thing to look for, but when I think about it, my knives are more often spreading stuff on bread than they are batonning firewood.

B

Now we're talk'n!

What a beautiful section! One of my favorites so far.
"little crater lake", is the water really that clear?! Or is it just an illusion? Almost looks like you could see 30+ feet through that water.
The sign said it was 45 feet deep, but you could easily see the bottom like it was thru glass. Here is a non-polarized shot:
IMGP7927.jpg

thanks John... sounds good.. looking forward to seeing you folks again...:) i'll make you 2 a nice home cooked dinner...:D
We'll definitely take you up on that. Looking forward to it! Just got back from that wedding up in Bonny Doon. We got our eat on, for sure.

Thanks for continuing to share your journey!! It was great to get together with y'all.

Take care and have a safe trip.

:)
Thanks Snakedoc! It was great to meet up with you too. Hope to see you at more NW knife events.

John- you guys are making great progress. 27 mile days- wow! I've done a fair number of 20+ days, with a decent load- no easy feat (for me anyways :))

I know it varies, but how many hours are you "typically" hiking in a day? My wife and I would love to do a through hike- I think we're going to tackle some smaller routes first- thinking about the John Muir Trail for 2012 (most of our trips are already lined out for next year)
These days, we usually wake up around first usable light at 6am (at home, we are not early risers). We are on trail by 7am. We hike until it's getting too dark to find a good tentsite in the dense, dark, drippy NW woods, usually about 7:30pm. With the rain since Mt. Hood, we definitely take shorter and fewer breaks, just stuffing our pockets with bar-format food instead of stopping and cooling off. But if the weather's nice, we usually stop for a 60-90 minute lunch and numerous smaller breaks.

Look forward to getting together with you guys again!!
Glad to hear your fatwood-fu is strong; that stuff is great in wet conditions.
Not sure where I got that particular firesteel, might have been from a USAF SERE type - they have ALL the cool toys :D:thumbup:
Sounds good, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Glad the trip is going well, great photos.

I like Scott's not-wharncliffe a lot.
Thanks Cristof! Yes, the UFK is a cool design.

Thanks for the awesome photos. Beautiful scenery. Happy Anniversary!
Scott
Thanks Scott!

ahh so satisfying to have those pics just keep coming and coming - it had been a while!
Some great ones - love the late season lupine, the huge knife pile and the waterfall trail. I do feel like I'm cheating by peeking at them though.
Will need to get together with you guys in Oct when you're in SCruz.
Enjoy the last 200!!! Hello to swipee of course and her huge pirate shirt:p
We hope to stop by your ranch on our way back to OR from SC in late October. It will be great to see you!

just fantastic! so glad you got lost for a few miles and snagged the pic of the waterfall! hey! I saw something about your anniversary-- ours was sept. 13th! 24 years for us. happy anniversary; looks like you know how to celebrate life! what a blast!
Thanks Eddie. Congrats on 24 years! :thumbup: I bet time flies when you're having fun.

can't wait for you guys to finish the trail! Come up to Astoria for A few days and design that knife we talked about
We've been excited about this. Can't wait to see your denim micarta too.

Awesome pictures! Keep 'em coming.

That comment about a knife able to get peanut butter from the bottle of a jar caught my interest. I've never thought of that as a good thing to look for, but when I think about it, my knives are more often spreading stuff on bread than they are batonning firewood.
Yeah, in the woods, practical frequently trumps tactical. The cool thing about the UFK design is that it is good for all those things. I thought I might miss a pointy point, but it opens supply packages and food bags just fine. For batonning, that same food-friendly point and maximized usable edge are solid -- you always bring the baton down on a beefy nose instead of a delicate point.

A few more, now that I have more than 15 consecutive minutes to sit at a PC.

An obsidian field on the western slopes of North/Middle Sister:
IMGP7810.jpg

More from the Eagle Creek Trail, approaching the Columbia River. Note Swipe on the trail in the upper right:
IMGP8047.jpg

IMGP8031.jpg

In Mt. Ranier National Park, briefly:
IMGP8193.jpg

Descending Goat Rocks in southern WA:
IMGP8194.jpg

IMGP8209-1.jpg

Woke up to our first nice morning in a while, at Sheep Lake just north of Chinook Pass:
IMGP8245.jpg

Mt. Adams and Goat Rocks to the south, peeking up above the clouds from near Chinook Pass:
IMGP8252.jpg

The Koyote Girl sheath is an amazing piece of work. I feel bad I'm repeatedly drenching it these days. I've always been partial to Kydex but this is quite impressive. Rides really well.
IMGP8276.jpg

The view down into Alpine Lakes Wilderness just north of Snoqualmie Pass. This whole day was mostly sunny and dry!
IMGP8319.jpg

Camp that night, halfway up some 2500ft switchbacks. The weather looked good, so we slept out under the stars again. The first time since central Oregon, and probably the last such night of the trip. I'd always called tentless, al fresco sleeping "bivying" or "bivouacing" or just "sleeping out", but these days it is known as "cowboy camping" among long-distance hikers.
IMGP8328.jpg

Hairy creek crossing on SLICK logs:
IMGP8334.jpg

Approaching Stevens Pass on Thursday. The wet weather is back!
IMGP8378.jpg

I see you reversed the sheath, too! It's hard to explain sometimes that that's possible without lots of photos.

John- more great pics :)

when you get a chance I'd be curious what items have been changed along the way- I see your re-shoeing- sticking w/ the same shoes throughout? how many times do you have to re-shoe? any other items that have been swapped out (besides all the knives your reviewing :))?

So envious :)

Yet more great stuff. You guys have traveled through some really beautiful spots.

Fantastic thread! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Back