Pain means I'm still alive - thanks for the well wishes

Spark

HPIC - Hatas gonna Hate
Staff member
Administrator
Super Mod
First off thanks for the well wishes. I'm not seriously hurt - my ego is a lot worse than my physical injuries.

For those who are curious as to what exactly happened, I went down going around a corner at about 15 mph during a light rain - on my way to work, naturally. I wasn't speeding, turning excessively or anything, the bike just went out from under me all of a sudden and I did my Superman impression. Thank god for full face helmets and that I was on the outside of a left turn, as I flew into a grassy area. The bike just lost traction, grabbed again, and pitched over, jettisoning me like a rocket and sliding into the grass. One second I was turning, the next I was flying through the air - I closed my eyes and when I opened them I was on my side in the grass. 2 cop cars, some construction workers, and some onlookers were on me like white on rice.

Some quick self examination told me I didn't need an ambulance as I could move everything. I managed to walk away with 2 sprained wrists, bruised feet, a scraped knee, ripped jeans, and an impressive amount of dirt on my helmet, handlebars, and rainjacket. If I hadn't been wearing a full face helmet, I'd have been a lot worse off.

No, it wasn't a Harley - my bike is a 99 Yamaha Road Star Silverado that I picked up about 5 weeks ago with only 2900 miles on it. 1600cc's of sewing machine at 100mph, with the jet kit, glide kit, big air kit, custom half windshield, stilleto seat, custom pipes, the sweetest sound and a gorgeous factory green two tone paint job that looks like something out of a mint. Damage to her is a large dent in the gas tank (and the attendant ruined paint - I loved that paint job), dented headlamp, screwed up windshield brackets, bent handlebars, and broken right tail light. Strangely enough, the custom chrome pipes and such weren't even touched - the gas tank and the handlebars took the worst, along with a nasty scrape on the right floorboard.

Honestly, I could care less about the damage to the bike, I'm just happy I didn't land in oncoming traffic, break a limb, or die. I could barely walk today, and trying to use my hands is a bitch, but I'll be back into work tomorrow. I just won't be moving fast.

Like I said before, thank god for the helmet. I'll never feel stupid for wearing it on a cruiser again. Now if only I could wear an exoskeleton covering the rest of me - because the only parts that got hurt were the joints.

Kevin

Hey Spark,
Dont matter what you ride it matters that you ride. That Yammy with drags sounds just as good as my single pin Aero. You've got a S@#tload of torque to hold under them balls. I'm glad you're OK. Get out and ride ASAP. If you're ever down VA way shoot me an e-mail. Route 5 from Williamsburg to Richmond is pure heaven.
Mark Williams

Light rain, or when it first starts raining is the most dangerous time to ride. The oils on the road come up, but not enough water to wash it away.
Glad you're ok.

Spark,

You laughed death right in the face, man. Thank God for that helmet... Your guardian angels are working overtime and I'm glad they are. Get better quick, Kevin.

When I got Punted a nice AGV full fave saved my chin (what I landed on). Glad you had on a full face as well. They sacrafice themselves for you!

You'll probably want to have a shop check the geometry of your forks as they frequently get tweaked a bit more than is visible in a get off, and you've probably got to file a claim anyway, so why not get everything right?

jmx

PS Sounds like what you did is technically called a "high side" which is caused when the bike regains grip suddenly after losing it and sliding a bit, ejecting the rider over the opposite side. Tends to toss the rider over the top, or the "high side" as it's called. Glad you're OK.

This is definitely a "high-side".

One of the most difficult things to gain control over - only very few race riders can do that - and even that only with them nimble machines - with a cruiser like yours - no way you could bring it back.

Good thing about the helmet.

I ride a Kaw ZX-12 and a Yam T-max - and I never get on them without at least - a full-face helmet (Arai RXRR 3 or 4) full leather jacket with inside protectors. Dinese back protector, high boots and gloves.

On Sunday morning blasts - it's a full leather racing suit and racing boots.

Got off a few times- the gear always saved by behind ... :)

Glad to hear that you are all right.

I have experienced a bike crash at first hand. I am a bike rider myself.

Whenever I get on my bike and I am on the road, my mind is always on safety mode.

You are indeed very lucky. Just be careful the next time and every time you get on the road. A biker is never ever too careful.

Don't ever, EVER even consider riding a bike without a helmet.
it may go well a thousand times, till the thousand-one something gets wrong and you're dead...
Here in Italy there was a very lax attitude towards helmets, till one the last ministers took the thing seriously and got police fine everybody rode a bike or small motorcycle without wearing one.
A friend of mine is alive, today, because of those enforced controls.
He as riding a small motorcycle, 50cc, you don't even need a driving licence for those.
He was delivering a package for the firm he worked for, when a truck abruptly turned right without signalling it. He couldn't do anything, ran at 50 Km/h into the truck side, hit fully with his head the passenger door, flew OVER the truck and landed the other side.
He broke two vertebrae, and had to keep a collar for two months. Hadn't he wore a helmet, he would have broken his skull against the truck side, and died instantly.
You never know what's going to happen, and on a bike, there is no steel around you to give protection...

I'm glad to hear you're okay.
And I'm glad that you wear a helmet and that others on the forum support helmets.

There are those who have crashed-and-burned, and there are those who WILL crash-and-burn!
If you've never wrecked your bike, you have'nt been riding enough.

Best wishes,
Allen.

I always wonder what some people are thinking. I see people around here everyday who drive thier bikes with no helmet. Many times they do have a helmet, but instead of on thier head, its strapped aroound one of the tail lights. Well, at least if they wreck the light will be ok.

Spark, im very glad you survived that with only discomfort and no serious injury. You are definately one of the smart ones who knows what a helmet is for.

Now, be sure and get into the chat room so we can give ya all kinds of crap about this :D

Seriously, glad you are ok.

Kevin - I'm glad to hear that you came through with no serious injuries. However, I suppose that those sprained wrists will keep you from doing much knife - flicking for a while! Best of luck for a speedy recovery.

Bin there, done that. Except it was on a dirt bike and when I woke up there was nobody there except the birds and the squirrels, very peaceful. Eventually my buddy found me and fetched the vet. That one still hurts when I think of it.

Get well soon Spark.

Spark, I am glad to hear that you were only "lightly" injured.

I was in a fairly bad one in July of 2000. Compound fractures of my lower left leg and other injuries...2 wks in hospital and considerable recoup time...wheelchair, crutches, and then a cane.

I have seen more Dr's, lawyers, insurance agents and bedpans than I had ever hoped to see.

A good helmet saved me from skull fractures and concussion and God knows what.

I am riding again...but my back hurts after 30-45 minutes, so I haven't done any long road trips.

I am thanking the Higher Power that you are OK.

--Mike L.

Kevin, glad you are okay. I'll bet you are glad you spent the extra $ for the full face! I always wear my Schuberth full face. BMW R100RT

When I was in school, I borrowed a friends (against the advice of my dad) Kawasaki 750, 3 cylinder, 2cycle. I turned it over on top of me going about 50 MPH. Thankfully I had a full face helmet on. No broken bones, but I lost about 25% of my skin. I picked out ashphalt from my body for about 15 years after the accident.

Spark, I am glad you are feeling better, and don't feel bad, because unlike me you acted as responsible as you could.

Ditto on what everyone else said about the head and body protection -- glad you were prepared! Speaking from my own experience (hit by a truck while riding my motorcycle...guess who won :( ), a good helmet and riding suit are worth their weight in gold. Hope ya mend fast. We'll keep you in our prayers.

- Mark

The dreaded "high side":eek: Glad you are alright. the bike can be fixed easily enough. I ride a Ducati 900 Supersport myself.

Take care of yourself,

Joe

Back