PASS AROUND KNIFE??

i like the bladeforums.com 1999 idea, it's gonna be hard to fit 10-11 names on the bolsters. about the bolsters, if someone attaches them to the knife, i'll shap them with the handles.

Hi magnum .44, The names are going to be scrimmed on the handle opposite the 3 buffalo and bladeforums.com. What I am sayind I hope the bolsters don't reduce the space on the handle to put that many names.

------------------
RICK LEFTIES UNITE

Hey Guys,

Has anyone considered putting all of the names on a certificate of authenticity? I think that the knife would look better with just the scrimshaw of the buffalo.

That's just my 2 cents.

Hi BARRY JONES, good point this would also save time in scrimming and the size of the bolsters won't matter. Should the 3 buffalo be on the left side to be seen blade in hand or right side to be seen in sheath?
L6STEEL (Michael) said it best "Go with what you feel is right when you're holding the blade in your hand."

------------------
RICK LEFTIES UNITE

I think that the scrimshaw should go on the "mark" side of the knife. That is the side you see when the blade is pointed to your left.

Good 2 cents Barry!!! A cert never even crossed my mind. Its a great idea. Save Rgray's wife some trouble too, and on a cert, we can include what each person did on the blade. I can't wait to see this bowie. It is gonna be fantastic!!!!!!

I like the certificate idea, too. That way we can include our names and our handles. Has anyone written Blade magazine, Knives Illustrated or any of the others? I think this would make a good story.

------------------
Oz

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
- Henry J. Kaiser

OK, I have the knife now, and it is indeed a beautiful pattern and well ground. But I don't think it needs any finer finish than it has prior to heat-treat. Barry didn't seem to think so, either. Please advise.

What it DOES need are holes for the bolsters, guard, and handle slabs. Would the folks doing that like to contact me and I'll do them? that way it can go straight from me to the heat-treat.

-Drew

Whats the news folks???? Please give us an update as to whats going on with the bowie. Has it been heat treated yet?? Take care and watch your top knot!! Michael

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

I have the blade.

I've contacted Alan Folts and he does not need the blade prior to heat-treat for filework.

I've contacted magnum and he gave me instructions for drilling the tang for handle attachment.

I have not heard back from Osbourn regarding what holes he needs for guard attachment or whether he must drill them himself. Oz, you out there? Did you get the email? Please advise.

-Drew

The crossguard is going to be the slip-over kind, so no holes are neccessary. Bolsters would need them, though. How's one or one and a half inch sound? I provide the brass, but I'd like to have someone that's good at bolsters actually attach and finish them. I've worked mostly in medieval blades, and never had a need for bolsters. I'm working on a couple now, but I hesitate to contribute any work to this knife that I don't KNOW will be worthy of it.
Or I can just do the bolsters too. I'd just like to know before I have it in hand. If I'm going to do them, I'd do 1", attached with four 1/16" pins, so I'd need the holes drilled accordingly.

------------------
Oz

"When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."
- Henry J. Kaiser

PINNOCHEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

------------------
"Always think of your fellow knife makers as partners in the search for the perfect blade, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!"

L6Steel...

I think this is a fantastic idea!!!

If the sheath work falls through with Denmark,, I'll do it, or you can send it to me and I'll do the Cocealex. Why not have two sheaths!...

If Not,, I'll do the next one!
Definately Count Me In !!!

You can e-mail me here
ericn@mnsi.net

Let me know what happens!

Eric..

------------------
Eric E. Noeldechen
On/Scene Tactical
http://www.mnsi.net/~nbtnoel

Hey, what happened to our pictures????????? Whats the story on the knife"???? any progress?? take care you guys! This is gonna be one fantastic blade!!!!!!!!

------------------

Hi guys, glad to see the knife is progressing well. I finally bought a digital camera (Toshiba PDR-M5) and thought you would want to see some of my wife's (Bobbie)
work. This is white oil paint on black horn. We are still thinking of buffalo grazing
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=131983&a=973402&p=13755086&Sequence=1

------------------
RICK Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 26 November 1999).]

RGRAY,

Very nice work. I can't wait to see the finished knife. I'm sure it will be beautiful.

------------------
If a man can keep alert and imaginative, an error is a possibility, a chance at something new; to him, wandering and wondering are a part of the same process. He is most mistaken, most in error, whenever he quits exploring.

William Least Heat Moon

RGRAY, that is awesome!!!! Is that little pin vise all she uses??? I want to do scrimshaw, but I tried the manual way, and it didn't work. I want to pick up an old tatoo handset and try it with that. Man, Bobbie's scrim is really gonna make this a fantastic knife!!! I might have to bid on it myself.. Lol!

------------------

L6STEEL,Bobbie uses an exacto knife for hair and feathers,but the little tool is used most of the time One dot at a time,like a woodpecker.
I'm thinking of buying it and sending you a check. I hate to part with her work.

------------------
RICK Left Handers Unite

Back