photgraphs of current gurkha kukri training

I'm not managing to get those photos. I'm getting a message that geocities declare the addresses do not exist. Is that a single space I'm seeing in the addresses? One push of the space bar? Computers are a boon and a curse!

Johan, that's an underline in the address, not a blank.

And yes, they will have DPM scabbards... I don't know whether they're issue or have been customized; but I suspect issue.

Craig! I want a DPM sheath cover and the green subdued finish on the but cap is interesting as well....Please see what Lalit has. Cheers!

Megapost here, Bearcub. Maybe it's no big deal to you, but you've gotten me off the hook to eat the hottest Gurkha curry recipe that PipeyCain or anybody else could dig up. I had visions of an oral three alarm fire, and thought I might have to go into training for it by eating progressively hot peppers!

Strong work, Hoss.

Dan,
In an earlier discussion with Pipey on the subject, he mentioned that in years past when Gurkha troops did their rotation to Belize patrolling the Guatemalan border, they used the local habanero peppers to make curry. You won't be likely to find a hotter curry than that
angryfire.gif
!
Berk

Berk, ANY pepper with a Latino name makes me proceed with great caution. I'm more eastern hillbilly than true southerner, and even tho' I love to listen to Flaco Jiminez play Norteno music, you guys with your hot cuisine are way out of my league.

Thanks for the heads up....Dan

Hey Boys, Lets petition Craig to offer the SN1 with a DPM camo sheath and subdued green metalware on the handle...Sort of like Jungle Fighter(maybe this is the same type ) I'd buy at least two...how about you Lads? Cheers!

I would surely be interested in an issue khukuri. For what I know, Craig supplier is the official British supplier, too, right? Maybe we could get something. A limited editon, maybe?

------------------
Ivan Campos
Full-time knifemaker...finally!

http://www.bitweb.com.br/users/campos

Visit Cutelaria Hoje - The first Brazilian virtual knife magazine
(English/Portuguese)
http://www.cutelariahoje.com.br

Right, I think the Khukuris we see in the photographs are Jungle SN1s but with a camo cover instead of OD green and the brass is green tinted(subdued) Either way I hope Craig can find more info for us. By the way, has anyone noticed in the photos that the Gurkhas are practicing what appear to be decapitational slashes...........cheers!

Thanks for helping me out on the computer issue, bearcub. I've looked at the first photo, which shows the recruits all using their LEFT hands. Is this of any consequence?

I think we're talking about a model that basically already exists - the Jungle Fighter. The only difference is the camo fittings. And I think that a trip to the gun store to buy "Brass Black" (if there is such an animal) could really darken the fittings to the point that they'd be tactical. Brown, yes, and not black - but tactical just the same.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I don't think it's of much significance that they're all using their left hands; I suspect the image has just been reversed left to right. When we were learning how to use the bayonet, we were always shown right-handed, even the left-handers.

Thanks for the info Craig! BearCub, E-mail me and let me know if you know anyone in the BlackWatch-I have several friends in that regiment. Also I want to tell you about possible return to Edinburgh plans...Cheers every one!

Bearcub, can you help me out with another question? Do the Gurkhas do their own camo jobs on their khukuris and sheaths, or are they issued already tactilized?

I don't know for certain, Dan... When I was at the academy very rarely were we issued with tactical gear, apart from bergens, clothing and the obvious stuff. Maps had to fablonned, webbing cammed over, and a lot of custom work done on your kit. Part of the reason for this was that a lot of the kit had to be tailored to your own requirement, but the ARQMS was a lazy bastard who didn't like doing any work above the bare minimum.

Quote, when asking for a new prismatic compass :

OCdt : Can you issue me with a new prismatic compass, please?

ARQMS : I have sixty in the stores, Sir, but they're not for issue, Sir, they're for storing, Sir. That's why they're called stores, Sir. If they were for issuing, they'd be called 'issues', Sir.

OCdt : Oh.

Anyway... I have seen a completely bare scabbard, and they're black kevlar-ish stuff, so I assume they're just issued as is and it's up to the Gurkhas themselves to tac them up as their havildar sees fit.

Any help to you?

Yes, actually. Thanks very much for the near inside view you bring to the forum.

Dan

Back