photgraphs of current gurkha kukri training

Bearcub,

I would have e-mailed you privately, but your e-mail is not listed in your profile.

Do you have the rights to the photos you have posted? If so, may I use them in the FAQ at http://www.tx3.net/~howardw/Khukuris/KhukuriFAQ.htm ? I will of course acknowledge credit for the photos.

You have provided and documented a different viewpoint on the training issue.

I would also appreciate any other information you wish to give on the training you observed.

My e-mail is howardw@tx3.com, should you wish to contact me directly.

Thank you.

Gents

The dpm sheath covers are hand made by the ghurkas themselves, they are stiched over (not to) the standard SN1 sheath.
The photos are not reversed, think about it, The kukri is always suspended behind the left hip, almost at the small of the back, There are only two practical ways to draw it.
1) hold the sheath with the left hand, push it up forward and to the left so that the handle sticks forward over the left hip bone, grasp the handle with the right hand, twist the sheath outward so that it curves around the hip and draw the knife across the front.
2) Twist your left hand palm outwards, pass the hand behind the left hip, grasp the handle and pull up, left and out at the same time.
Method 1 will put the knife in your right hand in the natural right-handers grip, method 2 will put in it the left hand from which you can quickly transfer it to the right. Assuming that you are not holding your rifle (temporarily empty, quite possibly). Here is a clue as to why they are taught to wield the knife in either hand. Take a quick look at Craigs picture Gallery, the one entitled Ayo Ghurkali, you will see that they are charging with both hands full.
I am trying to find the answer to the green butts, a colleague (still serving) told me that its a chemical reaction to the 'Copper' metalwork but i have never seen copper finishings on a kukri, I anm more inclined to believe they paint them with the same stuff they paint their vehicles with.
They have 2 each one for show and one for use.
There are a few Queens Ghurka Engineers in my mess and I will ask them more at the first opportunity.

Bearcub,

I found the photos and have contacted the British Army Picture Library for permissions.

Thank you for the reference.

Howard Wallace

Pro Libertate
smile.gif

Fascinating post this! Congratulations to you all who are contributing!

This is all about jungle fighters and camo. I've got an India-made tourist-class jungle fighter with dark camo sticky tape wrapped around the black leather sheath. If I want to tidy up this tourist khuk to look as close as possible to the real thing, should I discard the sticky tape and replace it with drab olive cotton cloth? If in actual fact camo sticky tape IS used by Gurkha recruits nowadays, it should pass, but it looks yucky.

A second question, PLEASE: On the frog of this tourist jungle fighter there is a replica silver badge with two crossed khuks, above the khuks a big "5", and above the "5" something that looks like three sitting lions, facing to the sides and foreward. If this is a replica of an ACTUAL Gurkha badge, what does it stand for?

I'm collecting facts in preparation of acquiring a REAL jungle fighter one day! PLEASE assist with answers!

Johan,
I think the badge on your kukri is a composite - as far as I know, the 5GR badge doesn't contain the Lions of Ashoka.
Berk
P.S. But as Sonam's post below indicates, the badge I linked to above belonged to the British 5th Gurkha Rifles prior to Indian Independence. Thanks, Sonam!

[This message has been edited by Berkley (edited 05-14-2001).]

Bearcub, great pictures!!!

Johan van Zyl, the crest on your Indian tourist khukuri should be that of the current Indian Army 5th Gorkha Rifles. After Indian Independence in 1947, regimental insignia with British crowns or other royal features (Prince of Wales feathers, etc.) were replaced with Indian insignia, in most cases, the Asoka Lion. Check out this link for info on 5GR and a look at their crest:
http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/LAND-FORCES/Army/Regiments/5Gorkha.html

Best,
- Sonam

BERK: having received your reply I put 2 and 2 together and concluded that the 5th GR probably went to India after Independence. The book The Gurkhas by Byron Farwell does say that the 5th was British, but in 1947 "went out of British Service"... Under circumstances of scarce information, my 2 + 2 sometimes will not make 4. This time it did, thanks to you and also to Sonam. Sonam's non de plume should have been gtguy, meaning "great guy". But then so are you. Thanks, also for the links!

I don't know what the answer on the sheaths covering question is for sure but it looks to me like a DPM tape that I've seen sold by the Naffi burger waggon. The tape is rather lurid/bright and fairly nasty stuff but it does the job. I've seen sheaths covered in all sorts of stuff. The green on the brass bits may be permanent marker pen that wasn't that permanent?! There is not that much sophistication in the British Army I'm sorry to say.

I'm happy to report that I just recieved a package from my friend in Catterick! Amongst the items I found were a cloth DPM SN-1 sheath cover. Those of you that own GH junglefighters will be pleased to know that the sheath cover I have in DPM was made in the same way as the OD green covers Craig offers. Any way that is it for now...Cheers!

[This message has been edited by PipeyCain (edited 05-17-2001).]

Huge thanks to all you guys who have brought in the info to resolve the issues of training, tactical scabbard coverings, etc.

Kinda neat to see confirmation that these Gurkha khukuris are exactly that, instead of wannabees. The greater does indeed include the lesser....Dan

Right Mates! I forgot to tell you that a Desert DPM Kukri sheath cover has been seen around Catterick and I'm Promised that every effort will be made to procure one for me...A very unique item I think! Cheers!

People
Today I spoke to a member of 2 Ghurka Rifles and I posed the Question of covers and camo. his reply was just what we have all gathered. When going on exercise of operations the standard SN1 sheath is covered by any means available. DPM tape is most common in his experience with the younger ghurkas, the more experienced guys get one made up in material by whatever means they can find, wives, the camp tailor the camp sutler (the Chogi wallah) or do it themselves. Brasswork is sometimes painted (by those who have a spare khukri and so dont have to clean it off afterward), or otherwise taped. Basically anything goes. I think thats pretty much a definitive response.

Back