Pocket knife throwing

ffp

I'm looking for a pocket EDC knife that's durable enough to be throwed. Yes, i know that the best throwing knives are the one made for it, but i'm not using it for self-defense nor will throw it everyday. Actually, i'm going to throw it only occasionally, for fun.
So i need a knife that can handle impact, with a good steel (don't break the tip) and a good lock (don't break the handle).

I'm wondering if the CRKT drifter or the S&W Executive Framelock are good options. I know that the Cold Steel Lawman is perfect for what i want, but it's a bit expensive for me right now...

So, what about the CRKT or S&W or any other not so expensive folding knife?

How is a cheap knife better to throw? It's because i could buy another in case the first break?

And what about autos with nice lock mechanism any on the market?

I've thrown with great success and precision a cs voyager tanto plain edge. It's the tri ad lock, it's pure magic. A liner lock will snap and get twisted, I've done it on bokers.
Know that the edge gets ruined, also the tip.

I've throw my cheap folders usually at work (release my frustration ) blades hold up well enough but locks and screws go to crap!

I spent a good bit of my childhood throwing my pocket knives. I carried a cheapy Schrade CH7 with a FFG 8cr13mov blade. The tip never suffered any damage from throwing. I carried it from age 10-25.
You don't want an overly heavy knife. It will hit harder, causing more damage to the knife with each throw. I've seen my friend's heavy knife fail.
Liner/framelocks are probably a bad idea too.

I vote Cold Steel too. It is the only lock I can imagine that could withstand this abuse.

but seriously, get a fixed blade. I have had some tiny daggers for many years just for throwing. It is a fun game when camping.

My friend throws cold steel folders.

they are duruable but lock will eventually loosen.

Thanks for the answers. But what about the models i posted? And what about autos?

I didn't asked your opinion about throwing folding knifes, just if you have to throw a folding knife what knife would you choose. Something like this. I said clearly that i know that fixed blades are better, but i can't EDC a fixed blade.

Personally, I always kept my fixed blades in my vehicle. The only places I have ever thrown knives has been at home, at a friend's house, or camping, so my vehicle is usually nearby.

I no longer throw my EDC folder, but that is just me. :)
You can throw a fixed blade much harder and farther too. More fun, less worries.

I didn't asked your opinion about throwing folding knifes, just if you have to throw a folding knife what knife would you choose. Something like this. I said clearly that i know that fixed blades are better, but i can't EDC a fixed blade.
It was not an opinion, and the word is knives.
Why would you have to throw your folder? More useful in your hand. Maybe carry a rock to throw.
if I had to pick a folder to throw, it would be a Balisong with the handles latched open.

Maseratis are not go-anywhere vehicle.

you can throw your poket or folding knives , but they are not design as your needs , so the unexpecting result breaking is inevitable, when you repeatly doing it.

Last edited:
Yes, he did.

And he suggested a fixed blade because throwing folders is idiotic.

Not at all. You have your CS voyager tanto in your pocket, wave moded. You see a bad guy running from a bank, with a bag with the $ sign in it. He is shooting to a cop. You take your folder wich opens very fast due to the wave mod, and throw it to the hand of the perp, because you are heroic but also merciful.

You saved the day, and only because you could throw...A FOLDER.

How is a cheap knife better to throw? It's because i could buy another in case the first break?

And what about autos with nice lock mechanism any on the market?

Hey ffp.

Most of us are saying a cheap knife is better because we know, for fact, that every folder you throw will break. I highly suggest not using autos. The more moving parts in a knife, the easier it will be to break.

As far as your original two knives, I'd suggest the S&W as a frame lock will give you a lot of support. Again, I saw the CRKT Desert Cruiser thrown; if you click it, you'll see a video of it being used to be thrown.

If you want to buy an expensive knife to throw, most people here are going to tell you it's a bad idea, but it's your money to spend! I wish you luck!

Thanks!!

About the autos, aren't the lock mechanism similar to most of the folding knives?

Back