Pocket knife throwing

Personally, I live in an area that prohibits automatic knives, so I'm not the best one to ask about that, but as someone who tinkers with mechanisms, I can tell you bashing it against a piece of wood will make it off kilter quick.

A folder will break with use even if not thrown. However, if you wanna give it a fighting chance, get a cold steel with triad lock.

Here's a better idea though now that I answered your question: get an assisted folder thats around 50 and buy a set of throwing knives! Together they will end up being the same price as a CS folder! The sog trident retails at 50 normally and I've bought 3 throwers for 10 bucks. Sorry I'm not allowed to list links but look around!

I think i'll buy a cheap throwing knife for practice, since a failed throw will damage more the knife than a successfull one, and keep my small auto as EDC and throw less often (it was cheap anyway).
Thanks guys!

I think i'll buy a cheap throwing knife for practice, since a failed throw will damage more the knife than a successfull one, and keep my small auto as EDC and throw less often (it was cheap anyway).
Thanks guys!

Good thinking! I definitely suggest you get a set of 3 though cuz it got old real fast having to go back and forth...

Pocket knives aren't made to be thrown. The blade will break, the handles will break and/or the pivot pic will loosen so the knife is basically useless. Besides, why would anyone throw away their only self defense weapons. Doesn't make sense to me.

Rich

Pocket knives aren't made to be thrown. The blade will break, the handles will break and/or the pivot pic will loosen so the knife is basically useless. Besides, why would anyone throw away their only self defense weapons. Doesn't make sense to me.

Rich

Ok! Guys he gets that its not a smart idea and we've already had this argument! I don't want to sound confrontational but seriously give him a break. He didnt ask IF throwing a pocketknife was good he asked what pocketknife could take it.

Because i don't use it for self defense, just for fun. And it's fun to throw knives and i'm not always with a throwing knife, unlike my EDC auto...

i'm not always with a throwing knife, unlike my EDC auto...

Where do you usually throw your edc? Keep some throwers there. They're only 10 bucks for 3 of them. That's what I do. I put some in my glove compartment and at home and other places I may want them.

Where do you usually throw your edc? Keep some throwers there. They're only 10 bucks for 3 of them. That's what I do. I put some in my glove compartment and at home and other places I may want them.

Exactly. I haven't thrown a knife in years but I still have a few daggers for throwing, in my glove box.

In my experience, most autos are not as durable as non-autos. The advice to buy a cheap folder if you intend to throw it is good because it WILL be damaged and you will not be out too much.

Many people have thrown pocket knives. Remember mumblety peg?

In today's world one is more likely to be attacked/mugged/etc by someone with a gun. I assume you all heard the old maxim about never taking a knife to a gun fight? -)

Rich

In today's world one is more likely to be attacked/mugged/etc by someone with a gun. I assume you all heard the old maxim about never taking a knife to a gun fight? -)

Rich

Good point.
Carry a shuriken instead.

Smith and Wesson CH0016 or any from the CH00 series. I've used the CH0016 to play mumbley peg, and it hasnt worn out or chipped in any way, apart from using it for the game, I also use it to cut rope and leather and other thick materials. So basically, it's a versatile knife that will last you a good while. I've had mine for about a year and a few months. Hasn't failed me at all.

for a fact?
I know for a fact that you probably COULD find a folder that would take it. All you need is a good locking mechanism and I'm sure they would throw fine. The idea that throwing a cheap thrower is a better idea doesn't make much sense, seeing as most knives that could TAKE the abuse of throwing would certainly not be cheap.

but I mostly use flying steel or cold steel throwers because they don't break or bend typically

Just a thought,

I wanted to try throwing folding knives because I had thrown about everything else I could get my hands on. So I went online and ordered several identical tactical, opening assisted folders for about $7 each. They are fairly heavy, weighted about 60/40 and throw well no-spin. Then I used a tube of shoe goo to permanently fix the blades open on two of them. The shoe goo also seals in small screws and increases the tactile friction on the handles a bit for more control. These are my practice knives. Because I can easily throw them now up to 20 feet or so without any real risk of breakage, the third in newer, un-thrown condition is my carry knife at work during the day. It is of course a last resort but one more option.

(@windwhistler)

Though my personal opinion is that knifethrowing is a sport/parlor trick, you sound like you've got an extremely efficient system to practice with. Very resourceful.

Glad you'll be prepared, but I hope the situation never arises.

Oh I agree that it is primarily a sport. I can't imagine disarming myself by throwing my only knife at anyone anyway! But ever since I started throwing no spin (which I enjoy and do as a part of my daily exercise routine) I have thrown so much stuff that sooner or later I had to try throwing my carry knife. And as everyone here has said I knew it would break. I have accumulated many good knives over the last 50 years. But I rarely carry an expensive one. I had found a sharp, durable and yet super cheap tactical that I carry daily. I buy several at a time and have found them so durable that I have never broken one in service though I keep a torx wrench handy, have lost them and given them away to friends from time to time. I don't know if any of you have tried shoe goo but it is super useful to me in so many pursuits. It is made for repair of tennis shoes and can be cheaply bought at Wal Mart or Big Lots etc. But it is a super fast drying, tube of rubber cement. When put under handle scales it relieves the vibration that works rivets and screws loose. I use it on my Cold Steel knives all the time under the scales. When you wrap a knife handle with cord it becomes semi permanent when covered with the stuff. It is waterproof and makes things feel sticky to improve hold and control on throwing. On top of torx screws they won't loosen or fall out. Best, when used to permanently glue a blade in the open position, it reduces shock to the lock and the blade bolt on impact. So your practice knives are the exact same weight and configuration as what you carry daily but are impervious to throwing and I have never broken one of mine in literally thousands of throws.

Back